October 1, 2014 | 1714 users online

Shampoo - Aubrey Organics - GPB Glycogen Protein Balancing Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2014 12:23:00 AM More reviews by rallu

The smell is bad (not as bad as the matching conditioner though), it makes my hair a tangled mess, very dry, I need a very good conditioner after this but it does foam and clean my hair. It actually feels like a clarifying shampoo...I used it a few times until I ran out of the matching conditioner and then threw it away.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2013 7:26:00 PM More reviews by Blackdoll24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Not sure about this one.. don't like the smell and consistently. Although it cleaned but didn't really like the feeling after, it didn't lather too much but did the job. My hair is clean :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2012 3:11:00 AM More reviews by staci01

This shampoo takes a little getting used to. It doesn't foam and once it soaks into my hair it's hard to always gauge what part of my hair is covered in shampoo and what isn't so I have to use a little more than is probably necessary. The smell is a bit overpowering but I do like it as it's got a kind of 1970's men's fragrance kind of scent. The good thing is that it works! Moisturizes well, cleans well and leaves my hair soft and shiny. It's kind of like food for the hair. Normally I use different shampoos and conditioners from the Matrix line depending on what kind of result I want (sleek,volume,color safe) and they all give my hair a nice shine due to the silicones but they weigh my hair down and it looks dull by the second day. The GPB shampoo gives me a natural shine and I can go 3 days without washing my hair and it looks and feels naturally glossy and soft, much different than when I use the Matrix line. My only complaints are that I wish Aubrey's would tone down the scent and that they'd give you more product for what they're asking price wise. Other than that it's a safe shampoo free of sulfates and silicones and my hair loves it. Will keep buying as long as they keep making it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2010 9:59:00 AM More reviews by Laski

I was a bit sceptical about this line as Ive heard very mixed things about it. But I loved it! I had to wash twice - at first, there was no foam at all, which was a bit irritating, but in the second round, there was plenty of it. My hair felt very clean, and it stayed that way even longer than with a normal, silicon-laden shampoo. I used the shampoo together with the GPB Conditioner, and my hair was shiny, clean-feeling and not weighed down at all. Great product, I will definitely buy the full size versions, as I had only samples.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2010 11:19:00 AM More reviews by altessa

Bought a 2oz. bottle to try out and it arrived today! Just came out of a shower after having tried it and these are my first thoughts:

Guess the smell is a love it or hate it affair. I personally quite like the smell; I find it calming and not too strong. My mum commented that it reminded her of baby powder.

I had already expected the shampoo not to lather, but for someone who has used commercial shampoos (with SLS/ALS) all her life, using this was quite a shocker as I couldn't get the shampoo to lather at all. I ended up using quite a lot of shampoo and when I rinsed, I was worried my hair wasn't clean, even though I tried my best to shampoo all of my hair and rub it into my scalp.

I bought the shampoo in conjunction with the conditioner, and in contrast to the shampoo, the conditioner left me very pleasantly surprised, but I guess that's for another review!

All in all, I do like this product, and would consider buying the 12oz. bottle to use long-term. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the non-lathering.

Update (16Apr10): I changed the rating down to 3 lippies because in retrospect, the shampoo isn't that great. I am currently using the A'kin Mandarin Shampoo and it is easier to lather, and more economical as I didn't have to use as much shampoo. I do like the smell of this GPB shampoo though.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2010 11:34:00 PM More reviews by avocadobutter

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great all natural shampoo that I use most of the time. I sometimes alternate it with the Blue Green Algae Shampoo by Aubrey Organics. Both cleanse well, and both are all natural.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2009 4:34:00 PM More reviews by renia22

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shampoo is one of several of the Aubrey Organics Shampoos that I have used and initially it was one of my favorites. I like to shampoo first with the green tea one, then I follow up with a second lathering of this one. It's liquidy and doesn't form the best lather, like others have mentioned, but the green tea one does and I have more success getting my hair nice and clean using them in conjunction. It does have an earthy, hippie, 1970s wheat germ- balsam scent, but unlike the reviewers who find that a negative, for me it's a huge plus because I love that type of natural scent and can't stand most of the mainstream fruity/floral/foody synthetic scents out there. The one issue I have with this shampoo is it tangles my hair a lot and I end up with breakage, so I have to be careful or at least use more conditioner. Leaves my hair shiny, full and clean. It's especially apparent if I have my picture taken, I can see how much shine this gives my hair. Not sure if I will keep buying due to the breakage, though

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2009 9:16:00 PM More reviews by coolcardboard

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been struggling to find an all-natural shampoo that will not irritate my dry itchy scalp, that will give my limp strands some life, and that will not aggravate any acne on my hairline. I think I have definitely found all those qualities in this shampoo.

A lot of reviewers on here are complaining about the smell....I LOVE the smell! It's a light, herbal scent. Now, given, I really like herbal and woodsy smells, so that might be it. But even if you don't those kinds of scents, I don't think the shampoo's smell is too overpowering. Just a warning though: it does linger the slightest bit for a few hours. But I really don't mind it. In my opinion, if a product works really well and makes your hair beautiful, the smell doesn't matter!

Because it's all-natural and doesn't have any synthetic foaming agents in it, this shampoo doesn't really give a super lather. If you use quite a bit, it does foam, but only a little. It may feel like the shampoo isn't really cleaning if it doesn't foam, but in reality, it's actually better for you if it doesn't.

The packaging for this shampoo is a bit ineffective, because of the shampoo's texture. Because it doesn't have chemical thickening agents either, the product is a bit runny coming out of the bottle. But I suppose there is really no other way they could have packaged it, so I think it's okay. Just make sure you don't squeeze the bottle too hard, or the shampoo will squirt all over the place.

Overall, this is a really great gentle, mild, and perfect for daily use shampoo!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2009 3:53:00 AM More reviews by MaggieN

I didn't think that this shampoo have a bad smell until I read the reviews here, I actually bought the shampoo before reading reviews here or else I'll probably won't buy because of the complaint of the smell. I actually don't thint that it smell bad at all, I guess I'm one of the few that can stand it. I found the scent to be herbal and natural, I kinda like it because it sorta like soothing. The shampoo doesn't lather that much, so therefore, I tend to use more shampoo than usual to feel like I can spread it all over my hair and scalp. I have only been using this shampoo daily for about a week, along with the balancing conditioner, my hair still looks/feels nice, so I'm not sure if using the same shampoo/conditioner will create buildup or something else, but so far it's been pretty good. So I'm rating this a five star for now. By the way, I bought this shampoo/conditioner while I was in Hawaii, and boy was it more expensive than here in California or online, the 12 oz bottle cost me $12 each. I'm probably going to look into buy different aubrey shampoo/conditioner to alternate with these ones since I'm afraid that using too much (every day) would make my hair not look as good.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2009 12:06:00 AM More reviews by mrlincoln

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The smell is the worst. It smells like fish food and milk. I went back to the sales person and mentioned this to her, and she said she liked the smell. Okay so I gave it another shot. It actually works really well. It's sort of runny, but does a great job of gently cleaning my hair. I went back and got the matching dish, and for my wavy hair this calms and relaxes some of my frizzies. Pretty nice, but the smell uh gag me!
Update: 1/10
I threw this out, it stinks and does NOTHING for my hair.