Pureology Pure Volume

3.4

Not tested on animals

Botanicals of Rose, Sandalwood, Geranium, Basil (Certified Organic), Cetearyl Alcohol, Quaternium 91, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Cyclomethicone, Glycereth 26, Polysorbate 60, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polyquaternium 37, Panthenol, Amodimethicone, C11 15 Pareth 7, Laureth 9, Glycerin, Trideceth 12, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Wheat Amino Acids Protein Complex, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract (Heligenol), Cinnamidopropyl Trimonium Chloride (sunscreen), Melanin, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Super Oxide Dismutase (antioxidants), Butylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 55, Propylene Glycol, Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG 1, Trideceth 6, Hydroxypropyl Guar Methylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Citric Acid, DMDM Hydantoin, Aromatherapy Fragrance

on 8/31/2015 3:23:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My hair - fine (but lots of it!), coloured (natural dark blonde, dyed nearly black), and wavy, with a tendancy to go flat on top with a frizz halo (my nickname in highschool was "christmas tree hair"). I have a few long layers but anything other than that and my hair looks stringy. Anyways, I've tried so many different shampoos/conditioners and never really found anything I was happy with. I have access to a Cosmoprof so I mix between drugstore and salon brands. My most recent failure was Redken Frizz Dismiss line paired with Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil.

A few weeks ago, I had an Olaplex treatment done, and the stylist used Pureology Volume shampoo and conditioner, followed by L'Oreal Mythic Oil. I let my hair air dry while driving home and OMG the waves...the softness...amazing. I bought all 3 products last week and I'm really happy with them - a coworker commented that my hair looks fuller, so something must be working! I paid $35 CAD for a litre at Cosmoprof (stylist price), but I would definitely pay retail. Doesn't come with a pump, but that can be purchased separately.

on 5/31/2015 7:48:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of the biggest disappointments ever. I bought this recently just because I wanted to try something completely new, and volumizing shampoos are typically ok for my hair though I don't really need them.

This stuff smells not so good. I used to have this lavender scented patchouli and that is exactly what this smells like. It is strong and off putting, but at least it doesn't linger for long after washing.

It does give some volume, but not that much. Left my hair really dull and lifeless. After using it a few times it's better now but still not a good product.

I cannot believe I paid $27 for such a small bottle or something that works the same as a $3 bottle from the drug store. Never again!

on 4/25/2015 2:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I hated the original formula my former colorist insisted my hair needed. I'm long, fine, blond highlighted. Revisited the brand independent of my wonderful current colorist. The updated formulation is equally lousy as the original. I despise the scalp sensation, think I'm having an aneurysm during shampooing. Leaves my hair straw like and nasty smelling. If you really want some volume have a pro keratin treatment every few months. I won't be returning to Pureology any time in the future unless I can return unused product.

on 1/24/2015 9:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Not for fine hair! I couldn't believe how dull, heavy and lifeless this shampoo made my hair look, even when I used the corresponding conditioner. Very disappointed.

on 11/27/2014 3:51:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Just awful in everyway. I would give this shampoo and conditioner NEGATIVE stars if I could. I got pushed into buying this product from a hairstylist in a salon, he promised me this would be a great product for volumizing. Sadly did not live up to that promise. To be blunt it is one of the worst buys of 2014.

1) $60 + TAX for shampoo and conditioner that is crap quality
2) This shampoo STINKS!!! I HATE the way my hair smells after I wash with these products.
3) Makes my oily scalp OILER, and dry ends DRIER. Awful.
4) Doesn't make my hair shiny at all.

60 bucks down the drain.

on 9/16/2014 6:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I treated myself to a trial bottle of this as a birthday gift to myself, mostly to satisfy my curiosity around the hype that this brand in general seems to get. My hair is very oily and fine, so I welcome any product that gives even a little lift and volume to it.
I've been using it for almost a month now, and my hair has been looking much fuller and much bouncier the day after I wash it with this (no conditioner or styling products afterwards. I think this one actually delivers on its volumizing promises. I don't particularly love the smell, it is a bit masculine for my taste, but don't think it's horrible or overpowering in any way. A quarter-sized amount lathers up really well, and my hair feels really clean.
As far as retaining color goes, I don't really feel qualified to give my opinion one way or another, mainly because I use henna on my hair, not conventional dyes.What really hurts though is the pricetag. I knew it was going to be expensive, but even the price of the trial bottle caused me to raise an eyebrow. I don't think I can justify the high price, even though it is nice, just not amazing.

on 8/21/2014 8:23:00 AM

Well being a fan of the "Old Formula", I contacted the company and questioned them as to whether or not the "New Original Formula" which is the "Extra Special Care" Volume, was actually the original with the same exact ingredients. I have to say after asking them several times the same question, I did not get a straight answer. They just said I "should" get the same results as the original formula. So I tried it for two weeks and I can tell you it is not the original. Left my hair dry and lifeless. My hair has been falling out as well. I dont know what they did but I certainly wish they would bring the REAL original back as I loved it.

on 8/3/2014 1:34:00 PM

I have very fine, shoulder length hair with some layers that do help add some body, but it's still very hard to get my hair to not look completely flat. I also don't like using styling products very much so I look for shampoos that do the trick without me having to add gooey stuff to my hair aftewards that usually doesn't work either. After reading rave reviews on other websites about this shampoo, I finally caved in and dished out $60 for the shampoo and conditioner at Ulta. I was really hoping it would work because it's very hard to find voluminzing products that actually do what they promise. I know there was an issue with the formula being changed about a year ago so I made sure to buy the volume shampoo with "Ultra Care" on it which is supposed to be the same as the old formula everyone loved. It was an utter disappointment. It lathered well, didn't smell too bad, and I was also able to detangle my hair very easily afterwards. That's where the positives ended though. It did nothing for my hair, not even the slightest bit of volume. I'm realistic and don't expect to have huge hair just because I use a certain shampoo but this shampoo seemed to actually make my hair flat. I will keep searching for a volumizing shampoo that really works. For those ladies like me that really need an added boost, try washing your hair and not detangling it until it's dry. Then use a wide toothed comb to carefully brush out the knots. My hair gets really poofy when I do this. A little too poofy, so I wash at night and sleep on it and by mornnig it's a good kind of poofy. However, when I want to wash my hair and go out, I have no tricks so I will continue to find a good volumizing shamppo that does work. For me, it's not this one. By the way, I went back to Ulta and returned it with no problems.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

I made it 5 days with out washing my super oily hair after using this Pureology Volumizing shampoo!
It smells awful. Even my 3yr old told
Me my hair hair stinks.
I usually can barely get 3 days between shampoos because my hair is so oily. Day 2 & 3, my hair is usually in a bun.
But not after I tried this shampoo! I didn't use dry shampoo spray until day 4 & 5. I was amazed
Too bad I can never afford to buy an actually bottle of this. I had a few sample packets.

on 5/8/2014 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

After reading the reviews, I definitely want to try the OLD formulation of this shampoo, but I'm not sure how to tell if the Ulta I want to buy it from is carrying the old or new formula. Anyone know how to distinguish the bottles? Ingredient list? Any help would be great. Thanks!