April 17, 2014 | 1483 users online

Shampoo - Matrix - Biolage - Hydrating Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 11:52:00 AM More reviews by lynnlovesyou211

I love this product! I got my hair ombré about a year ago and I've been using this in between the treatments and its helping my hair look its best! This is totally my holy grail product:)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2014 3:10:00 AM More reviews by mudra

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I tried this last year and it has quickly become one of my favorites. I use it in rotation with Redken All Soft, if that gives you any kind of idea about the kinds of products I usually like. I find that this works best if I use it in combination with the coordinating conditioning balm and by itself it's not quite moisturizing enough for me. It's decent for everyday use without being overly heavy. My hair is very thick, colored and tends toward being dry, especially in the winter, but many heavily moisturizing shampoos like Kenra make my hair super greasy. This has a pleasant fragrance: not like the best perfume ever, but not powdery or masculine like many shampoos. I buy this when I can get the one-liter bottles for $15 at Ulta with a 20% off coupon and that makes it nearly the same cost as your average mass-market shampoo, only I think it works quite a bit better than that. It leaves my hair feeling soft without being overly weighted down.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by ekb405

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have used this shampoo along with the conditioner for a couple years now, and I LOVE it! my hair is always so shiny and healthy looking that strangers compliment me on my healthy hair. (I do flat iron it daily as well). It's never static-y after using these products and I hardly ever need a haircut because my ends don't 'die' as fast!
I recommend this to everyone I know! Plus the smell is fantastic!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2013 2:37:00 AM More reviews by Jcake23

I bought this shampoo a few days ago thinking it would moisturize my hair better than a drugstore shampoo. But this shampoo is horrible. First of all there is alcohol and salicylic acid in it which in no way could help moisturize your hair. Second of all it left me with a sore scalp and dry ends. The matching conditioner also doesn't help with moisture. I rather use a bottle of VO5.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/10/2013 9:19:00 AM More reviews by julinko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am giving this shampoo a 5 because I realized that I have used it for years.
Oh sure, I've strayed every once in a while, but I always come back to this.

Cleans my color treated hair without drying, smells good and does what I want my shampoo to do. I wish it were less expensive, but the large bottle lasts me a long time.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by Catherine257

My hair is little frizzy and ends are dry, so I was looking for a good moisturising shampoo and conditioner ( I bought them both)
I really wanted to like this one , but unfortunately I didin't work .
It made my hair dry and more frizzy .
No shine, no hydrating , nothing .
I am so disappointed, cause the reviews were pretty good. Maybe it is because of new formula?
I don't know... Good that I had a bill cause it would be such a waste of money !

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by CSobish

Ahh love this shampoo! My stylist uses it when I get my hair cut and love it so I finally got some. It's the generic Sally's shampoo but it smells the exact same (which is the main reason I got it!) I use a different brand conditioner and different heat spray but the shampoo smell comes through and lasts through the next day! So happy I bought it(:

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by sonystar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

So like most reviews, I felt like this was the product for me. It left my hair silky and smooth. Then issues came in fast. I've been a solid customer for the last 9 months. At the time I figured it was worth the $16 or so for each of the two bottles. I started to notice that my hair first of all felt like it was not being clean at all. After all that scrubbing, I still felt the same way after the shower then before. It actually left oil residue on my hair. Gross. So much residue, it was weighing down my hair. I started to notice my hair color (chemically treated for highlights) actually getting somewhat dimmer. And, lets not forget the clumps of hair clogging up my drain. I thought that was normal...

But that wasn't the grossest part. Oh no. I straighten my hair with a flat iron so much. The oil that was in my hair was so gross to touch and it gave off an awful burnt odor. (Of course, i also noticed my flat iron was too hot (450), because I felt maybe if it was hotter, it would be more straight so I turned it to a cool 325 degrees.)

Yesterday I switched to Pantene's Pro-V Repair & Protect Shampoo & Conditioner. I felt that I was doing so much damage to my hair. After one shower, blow dry and flat iron, my hair actually looked (AND FELT) Like it came out of the SALON!!!!! I was amazed! No oil residue, lightweight, bright, smooth and silky!! PEOPLE ASKED ME IF I GOT A HAIRCUT AND THAT IT ACTUALLY LOOKED GREAT.

Moral of the story is, I spent $6 on my great hairday, how much did I spend on 9 months of this crap? $32? $64? Just because price is high doesn't mean its the greatest thing on earth.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2013 11:43:00 AM More reviews by girlraven

I used this shampoo years ago it was my first 'salon' brand shampoo and conditioner. At the time It was really great, it would clean my scalp well and leave it in great condition. Then when I went back and bought another bottle I swear the formula changed as other people have mentioned. It's now just a plain old basic shampoo nothing special, definitely not worth the expensive price tag. I have moved on to much better shampoos my current HG is Paul Mitchell awaphui ginger sulfate free it's amazing

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2013 12:13:00 PM More reviews by slidingdoors

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Quick summary: It was terrible for my hair, not moisturizing at all.

---
I am in the search for a new shampoo after Redken All Soft's formula was dramatically altered in 2012, and I have tried many shampoo/conditioner pairs - with no luck so far.

As this is a pretty expensive process, I research things online before buying them. I have only done a moderate amount of looking into Biolage so far, but I am somewhat confused by the information I've found about the Matrix Biolage hydrating range.

There seem to be two ranges that Matrix calls "hydrating": plain "hydrating" and "ultra-hydrating". Online commenters have said that the ultra-hydrating line has silicones, while the hydrating one does not.

Matrix products seem to be sold both in hair salons and regular retailers (such as Walmart), but I'm not sure if they are the exact same formulas or not. Some reviewers on Amazon (on several different listings for these products - I've read all the reviews on at least 20 listings there) have noted that there are several different ingredients lists on the Matrix Biolage Hydrating products (even though the exact same product name is on the front of the bottle) that they have bought there, and some speculated that either Matrix is changing their formulas over time, producing different formulas simultaneously for different market segments/supply chains, or that some Amazon third-party sellers are selling counterfeit goods.

Therefore I don't know whether the Matrix Biolage line that I see in my local supermarket is trustworthy, is authentic, and is the same stuff that I could find in a salon, or not.

[I know that I could ask for help about this range at a salon, but I've been to so many salons in my town for help in my product quest, and I have bought their expensive, recommended products which turned out terrible for my hair, and I just hesitate to continue bothering them when I'm not a customer of their stylists. (Besides, in all honesty, most of the product advice I've received in my town from salon employees has been inaccurate, and many of the staffpeople I've asked for help don't really know much about hair product ingredients, or about what can cause distress to different hair textures and skin types.)]

Other reviewers on Amazon and this site have said that the Matrix Biolage Hydrating formulas have changed over time, but I am not sure how (what exactly was added and subtracted), so I don't know what to look for on the ingredients lists of bottles that I see for sale.

I learned that Sally Beauty Supply sells a generic version of this line, and I went to a store yesterday to get their duplicate and try it out first. I have read somewhere on the internet that Biolage had changed their formula in 2011 or 2012, and that Sally had followed suit with their generic version, but the bottles in my local Sally store state that they have the "2010" ingredients list on them. I don't know if these are old products at my local Sally, or if they are freshly-made bottles and actually Sally has simply not changed their "dupe" formula of this line since 2010. I also don't know whether, because some reviewers have complained about reformulations of the offical product in 2011 and 2012, if the Sally 2010 version is better than the Matrix-branded 2013 version that I'd find now in a salon.

I would not be surprised if the lines have been reformulated over the years, since Matrix is now owned by Loreal.

The ingredients information given on the Matrix website about their products is entirely inadequate. For example, under the ingredients tab for Ultra-Hydrating shampoo are "aloe" and "algae". Under the ingredients tab for Hydrating shampoo it states: "Formulas with algae, sage, botanical aloe vera products or wheat germ helps to nourish and restore the health of the hair ". This is not only confusing (and ungrammatical!), it's insulting to the customer. This gives me no help in understanding their product lines and differentiation. It also makes me suspect that maybe they really do have different versions out there under the same product name (they way they say "algae, sage, aloe, OR wheat germ" is bizarre.)

When I do their website's product finder, no matter what answers I enter in many of the questions, I get the same product recommendation each time, the volumizing formula, which is not what my hair needs right now. It seems that the product finder stops listening to me after it hears that I have fine-textured hair. Therefore, I am unimpressed with their website.

I am desperate, however, to find something to replace my old-formula Redken All Soft, so I will venture onward into the Matrix Biolage muddle....

My impressions of the Sally Beauty Supply / GVP duplicates of the 2010 Matrix Biolage Hydrating shampoo and conditioner:

-I strongly dislike the scent. Yet most reviewers seem to adore it - ? It smells medicinal, woodsy, herbal. The scent is very strong and tenacious, so even 2 hours after I washed my hair, the odor was irritating my nose and throat. I am pretty sensitive to odors, so my experience won't be the norm, I'm sure.

-The conditioner was doing 85% of the moisturizing effect of the pair. The shampoo didn't seem very good.

-After my 2nd wash with these products, my hair was extra frizzy, breaking off mid-strand, really curling up (which in my naturally straight hair is a sign of protein overload and imminent breakage), and kinking up terribly in the last inch of the ends (again, an indication in my hair of too much protein). This was not AT ALL moisturizing for my hair.

-Even Suave Apple 97-cents shampoo, which I had tried 3 times, 2 weeks prior to this, left my hair in better condition than the Sally dupes of Matrix Biolage Hydrating.

-Maybe the "real" Matrix 2013 products would have a different effect. However, I won't be trying them because the Sally dupe formulas were so destructive to my hair after only 2 uses.