Pixi Flawless Finishing Powder

3.7

on 1/7/2015 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I was really excited to try this product because it got decent reviews. Unfortunately, the biggest deterrent I had to this powder was the very fine shimmer in it that made my very oily skin look greasy as soon as I put it on. Additionally, it didn't really help my foundation set and stay on longer, and I found that other setting powders make my foundation last a lot longer. It has a really dry, not silky, texture, and makes my skin feel almost itchy after applying it. I'm using it to set my undereye concealer right now, where it works better because I need brightness in that area.

The packaging is just a plastic container considering it was $22 which isn't that cheap. You do get a good amount of product. Also, I like that it is a pressed setting powder so it is travel friendly and easy to bring with you for touch-ups.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I feel that Pixi is probably the most underrated cosmetic brand in the US. I realize it is a UK brand, so I seriously hope they get the recognition they deserve over there, but every single item I have ever purchased from Pixi has been wonderful. I first discovered their bronzers at Target about seven years ago and have been experimenting with various other products from their line ever since. Their eyeliners, bronzers, and especially nail polishes are amazing! Sometimes they go on clearance at Target and you can get a good deal. For a "drug store" brand they can be a little pricey.

This particular product is yet another winner. The powder is finely milled and when looking at it in the packaging it looks like it has a highlighter/pearly finish. When swatching or applying to the face, it does not have even a hint of shimmer. It's a very matte (not chalky) finish. I often use it to set my under eye concealer with my beautyblender and then I give one big sweep with a powder brush when I'm completely finished with the rest of my face makeup. I can be a bit heavy handed, and this product is very forgiving with this. Definitely one of my favorite finishing powders. I use this throughout the day for touchups, especially in oily areas such as my forehead.

P.S. NYX Radiant Finishing Powder ($9) is a great and more affordable alternative if the $22 price tag this product comes with scares you off!

on 3/13/2014 9:34:00 AM

I really enjoy this finishing powder. It is very fine-milled and translucent with a faint shimmer, and I do not find it glittery and sparkly-looking on my fair NC15-20 skin, even in bright day light.
It makes my makeup last all day and does not leave a powdered look. I sometimes use a fine water spray to help my makeup set even better and add a little moisture, but it isn't really as important with this powder compared to the wide range of other powders I have.
I really like the sturdy packaging too. It looks pretty, and it doesn't show that I have dropped it on the bathroom tiles a couple of times. I haven't really used the sponge applicator as I prefer my MAC 182 Kabuki style buffer brush, but I presume it is useful on the go.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this setting powder. Sampled from the tester (in the most sanitary way possible) for about a month before finally deciding to "splurge" on it. It's a very fine powder and you don't need a lot to get the job done. I was a little worried about the sparkles at first, but it's really only on the top layer, so wasn't a problem for me.

on 2/16/2014 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I would have loved this powder if it wasn't so glittery/sparkly. If this was more pearly it would've been fine but the particles of sparkles are too much for me. It's really noticeable in certain lights. The powder goes on nice and silky even with the little sponge it comes with. Its actually a good setting powder except for the sparkly finish.

on 1/1/2014 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I really really like this powder. I think it's fantastic as a setting powder. The thing I love the most is that I can be pretty heavy-handed with this product and it never looks powdery or chalky. It also has a bit of radiance to it (not shimmer or glitter) that makes my skin just look slightly radiant.

The price is on the high end for a drugstore product ($22 at Target) but I think it's worth it when compared to other high end powders I have used.

If you'd like to hear more of my thoughts please check out my video:

continued >>

on 10/13/2013 9:25:00 AM

I love this powder. Love it. It is so finely milled that it makes my skin feel soft and smooth, as well as look natural. There is no chalky powder left on my skin. Even though I use it with a primer only (no foundation), and it is translucent, this powder also evens out my skin tone.

I like the application sponge in the little drawer under the powder. I didn't think I would like it as well as one if my brushes, but it is well suited to applying the powder.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the opaque milk green plastic. It looks cheap for a compact. A very minor complaint though, for something I would call a Holy Grail product!