Olay Fresh Effects Satin Finish Lotion

3.6

water/eau, cyclopentasiloxane, glycerin, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, niacinamide,dimethicone, dimethicone crosspolymer, prop ylene glycol, polyethylene, butylene glycol, acrylamide/sodium acryloyldimethyltaurate copolymer, panthenol, titanium dioxide, c13-14 isoparaffin, mica, phenoxythanol, polysorbate 20, laureth-7, dimethiconol, bensopehnone-4, methylparaben, proplyparaben, fragrance/parfum, ethylparaben, disodium edta, sodium hydroxide, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate, camellia sinensis leaf extract, yellow 5, red 40

I am currently using this product after a massive breakout after nine months. I wrote a post about how I stopped breaking out and the methods I used that helped. If you are interested in the post feel free to read the complete review of this product and my current routine and methods :) http://bombinate-kate.blogspot.ca

The review:
This lotion has a very good mattifying effect, it reduces excessive shine on the face very well. The effect also lasts throughout the day, along with the hydration it provides. I find my face still feeling supple even after six hours.

After I started using this product, the amount of breakouts I was experiencing began to decrease. But I'm not exactly sure if it's because of this product, or merely because I stopped overwhelming my face with complex routines that involves a number of different products. Nevertheless, I find that this product have somewhat stabilized my skin and did not act as a source of irritant.

The Application:
One pump of this lightweight gel-like moisturizer is enough for the entire face. The texture is very light and easy to apply all over the face. One neat thing about the texture is that the lotion first comes out in a creamy white color with a little bit of shine in it, but as you dab some of it on to your skin/face, the color changes into a light pink tone that looks almost transparent on your skin. I don't really know if this is suppose to do anything, but I thought the effect was pretty cool.

Conclusion
Olay's Fresh Effect Moisturizer is a very basic lotion. It has great mattifying effect that reduces excessive shine. Despite having somewhat of a fragrance, and the color changing effect that could act as an irritant, it did not break me out. For the purpose of this review, I find that this product has helped me in achieving the desired results I was looking for. Combined with a simpler routine, this product have helped me in the stabilization of my skin.

Quick Summary
Pros
- Light weight, gel-like texture
- Good mattifying effect
- Good base for foundation application
- Keeps the face matte and hydrated throughout the day
- Helped me in stabilizing my skin
- Has a color changing effect which I find to be pretty neat, but it could also be an irritant
- Inexpensive

Cons
- Fragrance, could be a potential irritant
- Artificial coloring that could also cause irritations
- Contains Paraben

I bought this in at a chemist while on holiday because I had run out of my former day moisturiser. The price was reasonable and it came in an easy pump bottle (hooray!)

It has a faint and fairly nice smell, (I won't attempt to add a description here) and is not overly thick or watery. When I apply it on my face, it does indeed have some kinda satiny, velvety feel and looks not too shiny. I don't think it has legendary moisturising properties - suitable for the oily skin team, although sadly I did experience an increase in my pimple population after using this lotion.

Looking closely at the lotion in the light the l found the lotion seems to have sparkles/glittter/shimmer and I'm pretty sure that aint good for the skin...
The glitter doesn't actually show when rubbed in, but i am not wanting a moisturiser with miniature sparkles in it, thank you very much..

I love this product but the only thing is that it makes my skin itch and brake out but overall it makes my skin feel better and hydrated

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Hands down the best moisturizer to wear under makeup, especially if you have oily skin.

For once in my life, I don't have anything bad to say about a product. The pump packaging is a God send, it has a light fresh scent, and leaves the skin feeling moisturized and not greasy. Some have apparently experienced it balling up on the skin, but I've had no issue with that, so maybe theirs were expired?

I'm not really all that picky about moisturizers, I just want something that isn't greasy, and does what it says it will do. This went above and beyond my expectations. It works flawlessly under makeup, and in my experience, even extends the wear of my foundation.

If you're sensitive to fragrance in skincare, maybe steer clear, since this does have a fragrance in it. I usually avoid scented skincare because of my sensitive skin, but I've been using this for just over a month and haven't had a bad reaction.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is a great product if it's what you are looking for. It's not a good product for me but it's still a great product for other people IMHO. I have dry, sensitive skin that tends to peel around the nose if it's not properly moisturized. I also have red cheeks that wont go away. As I need a lot of moisture, this is not a good product for me, at least in the winter. My skin is not moisturized enough with that. It's definitively a light moisturizer and not a heavy one.

With that said, this is a good product. It leaves the skin smooth and not completely matte without looking greasy. I think it's like a MLBB *my lips but better* kind of product, but for the skin, so I guess a MSBB *my skin but better* product. It's light, feels good on the skin, let the skin breathe and smell alright. It's also a great product under foundation, if you do not use a primer because it makes the skin super smooth. I would recommend it for people going for a natural look or a no-makeup makeup look.

The packaging is great, I love when a company use an hygienic pump, and I think that the packaging is young and pretty. Definitively doesn't look like a higher end product thought. Also, it can be pricy if you're not careful, I've seen it as expensive as 16 $ CAN one time so be mindful of the price and look for specials!

I've found that this product balls up when used with a silicone product. It makes little balls OR if you're using a finishing powder like E.l.f. HD or MUFE HD, it makes the powder balls up in tiny tiny powder balls. I'm guessing it's because the water is the first ingredient in this product and it makes a reaction with silicone, but I'm not sure. If this product balls up on your face, I suggest trying to make it work with another product than the one you were using that day. It may work and then you'll not have to throw it in the trash! Try it :)

I might try to purchase it again in the summer if I want something light but still moisturizing but for now I'll get a heavier day lotion.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I hate this product. It smells weird, the texture is awful and it's done nothing for my face.

I bought it out of frustration more than anything, needing a moisturiser but not knowing what to get.

I hate the way it feels on my skin, I hate the way it balls up when I try to spread it out on my face. It dries funny, can't be used under makeup and just doesn't do anything for my skin.

I went out and bought a different Olay moisturiser that was cheaper and I am much happier with the results.

I am obsessed with this moisturizer. I bought it on a whim because I was out of whatever I was using before and I could not have been more impressed. The texture is like a gel, except there's a little more to it. It really does have a satin sort of feel in your hands. It's a little bit iridescent so when you first put it on it looks slightly greasy but it soaks right in and leaves your skin feeling amazing. I have dry skin and it didn't make me oily in the summer and has kept me moisturized even in the harsh NYC winter. The pump is great because it gives just the right amount and is easy to use. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find this one around in drugstores, I saw it at Job Lot and picked up about 4 of them for $5. I'm just hoping they didn't discontinue it! All in all, great cheap drugstore moisturizer

Liked the bb cream so decided to try this. On the whole, it's nothing special. Easy on the pocketbook, pleasant smell, non-greasy and does leave a slight glow. But did not get the "matte" look on my combination skin (shiny finish) and do not personally like the gel texture feel.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine

My favorite moisturizer in my hoard right now. It gives a soft, subtle glow and I often use it when I'm not using makeup. I also like to mix with all natural coffee butter (look on etsy, there's tons!) so that my face stays unbelievably soft all day. Nonetheless, without the coffee butter its still awesome, I love it's texture and how it's not sparkly, just a little bit of a nice sheen. In my finger tips, it does have this satiny feel. A lot of places have sales on this (I found it in a Dollar General on clearance for 3.50, but I was broke :( ) so it can be affordable if you play your cards right!

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Absolutely LOVE THIS!
I usually have bad luck with Olay face creams because they're not moisturizing enough for my skin. However, this one is a COMPLETELY different story.

- I love the packaging because it's sleek and has a pump! Everytime I use this I feel like I'm using a high end product because of the packaging!

- The cream itself is kind of a gel like consistancy. It's white but when you put it into the light, you can see a pink sheen to it. Once applied to the face, the pink sheen blends with your skin giving it a nice sheen.

- I think the term 'satin finish' is perfect because it doesn't leave my skin completely matte or shiny. I do find that no matter what, my nose is always a bit shiny once it sets into the satin finish although the rest of my face is kind of matte (or satin).
However it is summer (hot & humid) and this could change in the winter (dry and cold weather)

- Your skin does feel REALLY SOFT afterwards

- Does not break me out and keeps the moisture locked into my skin throughout the ENTIRE DAY (same goes for the softness)

- Would repurchase only on sale because it normally costs about $13.99 CAD but I did manage to get mine on sale for $7.99 CAD at Target :D

- This is now my current FAVOURITE moisturizer!!