July 30, 2014 | 2014 users online

Moisturizers - Olay - Fresh Effects Satin Finish Lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 8:23:00 PM More reviews by JALT

I love this moisturizer! The product has a bit of a pearlescence that makes my skin absolutely radiant during the first few uses. The scent is light and refreshing. It has a bit of a gel texture and it makes my skin feel satiny smooth. It works great as a moisturizer before I apply my makeup. Since the radiance seems to wear off, I will alternate between bottles of this and the Clean & Clear moisturizer. As with all Olay products, it is a little pricy and the bottle is quite small but it lasts for months.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2014 12:47:00 AM More reviews by charlie_leone

i like this lotion a lots, it feel so light on face and is non greasy, i have tried the gel cream from the same brand, but i like this one better, I have normal to oily skin in the summer and normal to dry in the winter, this definitely is a keeper for the summer months. I get this from Winner's (TJ Maxx) for $6.00 and it comes with the olay fresh effects swipe out refreshing make up removal clothes.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 4:32:00 AM More reviews by Jwoww95

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this product. It literally makes my skin feel like silk. I have oily and acne prone skin and I personally feel it made me more matte than the other face lotion. I was using before. It feels wonderful and I will definitely purchase again.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by kayywink

I bought this moisturizer to use at night because I'm currently using Differin which has dried my skin out so much. I like the packaging and I love the scent of this moisturizer. It does make my skin soft and smooth and didn't break me out. But as far as providing moisture it didn't really do much! Makes for a good make up base though. Everyone's skin is different and I would recommend this to someone who has normal skin and doesn't need a ton of moisture.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/30/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by teleah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have started to use a new foundation and felt it needed a base before I applied. On the look for a new facial moisturise I found the new Olay range on sale at coles. The bottle, 50ml, reads well. Rich hydration of a lotion, lightweight feel of a gel and a satin finish with up to 24hr soft skin. I applied it to freshly washed face without anything else and went about my day. Around two hours I went to check out my skin. Skin wasn't oily looking, felt soft, only a slight build up of oil in the corners of my nose but nothing that I was upset over. It wasn't obvious to sight just touch. The products scent is baby wipes like. It's not terribly thick and absorbs very well into skin.
That night I slept with it on after washing face. Woke up to a slight build up of oil around nose again but still I felt this normal for myself and you can't fight nature 100%. My skin was still soft and hydrated. I was impressed that it didn't disappear or cause an oil breakout. I only ever apply one pump.
after washing face again and asapplying product I used my foundation over the top. End of the day I had no oily residue, makeup stayed in place. No dry patches that can happen when I wear a foundation. I was very pleased. It's now apart of my day routine. At night I don't always apply as to let my skin breath.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2014 8:51:00 PM More reviews by tayloves0910

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

This is a great moisturizer. It keeps my dry spots moisturized and doesn't make my good spots oily. It has a satiny finish and is quite lightweight. I like the pump; it's a nice change from a jar. I use it as my night time moisturizer along with the matching eye cream. In the morning, my skin feels soft and smooth. I definitely recommend this!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2014 11:49:00 PM More reviews by missymarissa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This feels gummy on my face. Even though it sort of has a satin finish, it doesn't feel satin on my face and I get oily only a few hours later. Also, I started noticing patches of tiny pimples on my jawline and cheeks -always a deal-breaker for me. I really didn't like the smell or the sparkles in it either. I really didn't like anything about it! lol.

I like the idea of a satin-finish moisturizer but they need to make a much better product. I'll switch back to my beloved DDMG.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2014 5:28:00 PM More reviews by cloudsxx

I think this is a great product overall. It did not make my skin oily. The smell is wonderful, and isn't overpowering. Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by anne99415

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm surprised by the negative reviews of this product, but I understand that everyone's skin has different needs and not all products work on all skin types.
This is honestly my favorite moisturizer I've ever tried, after a Neutrogena one that got discontinued when I was in high school. After that product was no longer available, I started trying a lot of different moisturizers and this is the first product that has has the same effect on my skin.
This is not a good moisturizer for dry skin, however I have pretty oily skin, mostly in the t-zone area. For oily skin, this is amazing. It's non-greasy, fast absorbing and leaves just the right amount of moisture. I especially love it in the mornings, I find that this actually works well as a foundation primer. It has never broken me out, and I have pretty acne-prone skin (granted, I'm no longer a teenager and my skin has been a lot more manageable lately than it was in high school).
The packaging is fantastic, I love the airtight pump, however I find that I need to use more than one pump to cover my face (one or two is good for the morning but at night I like to use a bit more, like 3 pumps). This means that I go through the bottle pretty quickly, and it's not super cheap (depending on whether or not it's on sale, I've paid anywhere between $12 and $17 CAD for a bottle.
Overall though, I will continue repurchasing it (I'm on my third or fourth bottle!) and hopefully this does not go the way of my beloved high school moisturizer and stays on the shelves for a very long time!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 10:59:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use Cerave AM lotion in the day but ever since my go-to night lotion was reformulated (I hate you La Roche Posay) I've been on the market for a new one. I didn't expect this crap to be able to replace it but dammit it had a bright yellow and red sticker that indicated it was on sale so I ignored my instincts (it wasn't even very on-sale at $12.99!).

I guess another thing that drew me was the packaging bc it comes in an airtight pump bottle and even the box appears to be tamper proof (sealed with glue) so I knew right away I wasn't getting someone's return. I also liked that it had niacinamide.

As for the actual product: I liked texture and feel of this lotion on my skin but wtf?! This stuff smells like a freaking panty liner! I can deal with subtle scents in my products but this was a nasty floral baby powder scent and I found it overwhelming. Thumbs way down.

As others have said, don't even bother trying this stuff if you have dry skin--oily or combo skin might be okay with it though (if you want your face to reek of scented tampons by all means, go for it!). I do seem to be on the drier side of combo right now (could be the weather's influence) and this stuff barely seems to provide me with adequate moisture--like to the point where if I continued to use it I would need to do a combo with some other lotion.

Update: out of curiosity I recently looked up EWG's rating of this and apparently, this stuff scored a 7 out of 10 (really bad!). They consider it a "high hazard" b/c it contains a ton of parabens, among other things (most of which cannot be pronounced).