Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

This is the only dandruff treatment I've ever used that actually works. Other things that I've tried- Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, Lush's Soak and Float, Avalon Organics, coconut oil- didn't do nothing (well, except the coconut oil, that really didn't help), but they didn't make me completely flake or itch-free either. This did.

I followed the directions with the initial treatment period. It took about a month for the dandruff to completely go away, but I kept using it for another month or two. Since then (about eight months ago) I've been using it once every two weeks or so. Because of this, I've only one and a half of the 4 fl oz size in all of that time (kind of justifies the high price per fluid ounce).

I don't have dandruff anymore. And not only that- I'm no longer chained to the use of only cosmetically unfriendly and strange smelling dandruff shampoos, I can use whatever I want inbetween washes from this!

Not that this shampoo smells that terrible, or makes your hair look bad. I would describe the smell as soapy, a bit spicy (not in a cinnamon-y way, more in a slightly masculine way), and a tiny bit flowery. The resulting scent is definitely not unpleasant or too manly, though a man could use it without smelling like a woman. The shampoo itself is a teensy bit drying, but not as much as a clarifying shampoo. It gets my hair clean and gives it some volume.

Overall, I love this stuff, and I have an extra bottle of it for when I run out of this one.

I've been using Nizoral shampoo for several years now. It's the only shampoo that helps the eczema on my scalp. It's like medicine for my scalp. Too bad it's so expensive (in Canada anyway). The packaging is a bit excessive....does the plastic bottle really need a box?
I always have a spare bottle standing by...I would hate to run out of it.

I have stubborn seborrheic dermatitis and this is the only thing that helped keep me flake free. However, it is important to follow the directions on the bottle. I used it twice a week, which is proper per the directions. What I did wrong was using it twice a week for longer than an 8 week period. So, all of a sudden one day after I used it, my scalp was beet red and there were tiny flakes throughout my hair. I went back into the shower and rewashed my hair and the redness went away. So now, I will use it only when I have a flare up. It isn't gentle on the hair so I conditioned the ends of my hair prior to shampooing to act as a buffer.

I'm rating this based on the effect this product has had on my acne. I came across trying this product while scanning the internet for the cause of the tiny, flesh-coloured bumps on my skin that I thought was acne. I'm currently on Benzaclin gel, which has mainly cleared up my acne. However, the bumps on my forehead and cheeks would not go away. Upon a google search, I came across the term pityrosporum folliculitis, a condition caused by fungal overgrowth (similar to dandruff). I use this 2x a week after washing my face. I apply a teaspoon sized amount, lather it, and leave it on my face a few minutes. This has largely cleared up my bumps!!!!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I have tried Head & Shoulders, Selsun, and T-Gel all with no luck. This is now my HG anti-dandruff shampoo! This has a unoffensive, soapy smell that does not linger and this shampoo actually lathers and cleans! Most other anti-dandruff shampoos I've tried have just stripped my hair completely. This lathered really nicely and still didn't leave my hair dry when I rinsed it out. I have very thick, color treated hair with oily roots and super dry ends. This stopped the itching, stopped the flakes, and got rid of buildup. This is awesome. I would recommend to anyone who is struggling with scalp issues.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I used this years ago after a doc prescribed it. It helped but over the years I've been on a natural kick. I have very curly dry bushy hair and live in a hot humid climate. As much as I would like to wash my hair only occasionally, after 2-3 days of shampooing, my scalp becomes unbearably itchy. If I scratch it, an oily substance comes off in my nail. So my scalp is oily but my hair is so dry. After trying baking soda with no success, I tried using Nizoral again and after only one use, I felt the difference. My scalp was not itchy even after 4 days and even my hair looked healthier. I guess the clearing of the scalp helps oils travel down strands better. I will continue to use it twice a week for a month and then switch to once a week.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

AMAZING! i had dandruff for years since i was a child, nothing made it go away like this! i tried hot oil treatment, ACV rinses, different commercial shampoos and medicated shampoos... nothing made it go away, i am so happy i found out about it! i was so surprised how i was able to see my scalp for the first time in a long time! i used it for two times and it had made an amazing change in my scalp, finally got rid of dandruff!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Love love love this shampoo. I have severe flaky, skin peeling type of dandruff. I have tried many shampoo from head & shoulder, t-gel, zinc, sulfur, etch. You name it. This is the only product that can keep my snowing at bay.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

My scalp is usually oily, with dry ends to my long hair, though I hadnít had a major dandruff problem in years, and Head & Shoulders had kept my scalp in moderate condition on a regular basis (I was never really a fan of Head & Shoulders and I continued to use it out of habit). But when I became pregnant with my forth child, and a harsh winter hit at the same time, my skin and scalp rebelled. The flakiness of my face and scalp were uncontrollable and embarrassing. I found out I had seborrheic dermatitis made worse by my eczema. I started treating my face with hydrocortisone and an antifungal, but my scalp I treated with this. After one use, my scalp felt more comfortable, not as itchy, though the flakes werenít really improved. Two weeks later (shampooing with this every other day), my scalp was significantly less flaky and didnít itch at all. The bottle recommends using this shampoo 3-4 times a week for eight weeks then only as needed. For me it was about ten weeks before the dandruff was truly manageable with once or twice a week. That was also about the time that my skin calmed down too so it is possible that my skin and scalp issues wouldíve resolved themselves. Still, the results of this were so immediate that I know it helped so I will continue to use it as needed and purchase again when I run out. On a side note: my nine-year-old daughter has a horrible oily scalp (but no flakes) and this shampoo did nothing for her, I need to keep searching for something for her.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this product because I was losing a lot of hair and had excess sebum and Head and Shoulders didn't work. I used it as directed and now my hair and scalp aren't as bad. I only use it now when I notice my scalp is producing more sebum. I would say that it does dry out my hair so I only use it on my scalp. Also, because it doesn't lather I have to use more product so only using it on the scalp helps reduce product use. I would recommend this product to folks who feel Head and Shoulders and Selsum Blue didn't work for them.