April 19, 2014 | 1901 users online

Shampoo - Nizoral AD Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 on 3/10/2014 3:51:00 PM More reviews by GypsyRose23

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I tend to get intermittent dandruff right around my hairline. I'm not sure what causes it, but it must be some sort of dermatitis. After using Nizoral for several months, I've noticed a distinct improvement. There's only one tiny spot that still has some redness and flakiness, but for the most part, it's entirely cleared up. I began using Nizoral three times a week for a couple of weeks, then cut down to twice a week, and now I use it once a week. I wash my hair only every other day or two. The only reason I'm giving this product an overall rating of four lippies instead of five is because it seriously dries out my long, wavy, mature hair. However, I have figured out a few things to help with that. First, I apply olive oil to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft before I use the Nizoral. I apply the Nizoral only to my scalp, trying not to work it into the length of my hair. I let the shampoo set on my scalp during my shower (about five minutes). I rinse out the Nizoral, and then wash the length of my hair with a different shampoo (Sauve, currently) to remove what's left of the olive oil. I condition my hair as usual (with Garnier, currently), combing the conditioner through my wet hair in the shower. I rinse the conditioner out, towel dry my hair, and then apply Pantene Pro-V Expert Collection Advanced Keratin Repair Split End Fuser to the ends of my hair and work it up to about mid shaft. After that, I'm ready to blow dry and flat iron my hair. It turns out looking very healthy. That might seem like a lot of work and a lot of product, but I only have to do it once a week now. That's a small price to pay for relief from itching and dandruff. As a side note, I primarily purchased this product to see if it would help reduce my menopausal hair loss, because I read it has antiandrogen properties. I can't say I've seen a significant difference there, but perhaps a slight improvement has been made overall. Be that as it may, I will continue using Nizoral for as long as they have the good sense to make it, in spite of the high price.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2014 2:09:00 PM More reviews by catahenao

The only that helps control my Seborrheic Dermatitis

rated 3 of 5 on 2/23/2014 4:46:00 PM More reviews by niftypineapple914

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Whenever my PCOS flares up and I miss my monthly cycle, I concurrently get a whopper Sebhorreic Dermatitis outbreak. I guess they're both down to stress. Anywho, this helped me during the absolute worst SD of my life a few months ago; within a week the dandruff and itching had improved drastically.
Unfortunately, it's damn expensive, leaves a greasy buildup in the hair at the crown, and the effects don't last long for me. Switched to Head & Shoulders 'for itchy scalps', and it seems to be working better than this, which I didn't expect due to my suspected reaction to SLS. Way more product for your money, too.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/18/2014 3:37:00 AM More reviews by sbowlchica

I've been dealing with shedding for years now, triggered by a terrible Accutane experience which wound up throwing my hormones out of whack and worsening my PCOS. I've tried nearly everything else-- supplements, dietary changes, and things had gotten slightly better, but I always knew I was shedding more than I should.

But that all changed.

I'd accepted my hair loss. I was actually reading up on Monistat to grow hair faster (I've got some pesky bangs I want to grow out, not to mention a ton of baby hairs from when my shed took a turn for the worse...) and discovered it could help shedding. So I picked up the Monistat and Nizoral so I would have a double dose of antifungals, since their ingredients are related. I'd do a weekly Monistat scalp treatment and wash my hair every 2-3 days with diluted Nizoral (just a squirt in a color applicator bottle; you really don't need much.)

I'd had a problem with scalp buildup, mainly since I was afraid to manipulate my hair since my follicles were so weak. Gone. I had dandruff. Gone. And my terrible Accutane-induced hair loss? Back to normal levels. I couldn't believe it.

I'm behind on my Monistat treatments and I still don't have as much shedding.

The only problem I've found is that, although it keeps my scalp healthy, it dries out the rest of my hair. Yeah, it gives my fine hair a little extra volume, but it's not shiny and is more brittle than usual. I've got more tangles than usual, too... SLS is one of the main ingredients, so that's to be expected.

Oh well. Gonna keep using. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2014 7:08:00 PM More reviews by zombiesxomg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've tried H&S, Tsal/Tgel, Selsun, Clear scalp therapy and Paul Mitchell Tea Tree. Nizoral is the only thing that has worked for me completely. No more itching or scalp build up, very very very little flaking. Compared to what I had before using it, my scalp seems really normal. It's expensive for shampoo (about $20 at CVS), but I'm happy to pay it because it WORKS. Don't use it as an every day shampoo though or you'll completely dry out your hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 7:07:00 PM More reviews by sexyglam

This is the only shampoo that has worked for my dandruff and itchy scalp. Since this shampoo contains an anti-fungal as the active ingredient, it clears away the root of the problem. This product may not work for you if you are experiencing flakes due to dry scalp. Dry scalp flakes are smaller than dandruff flakes. Typically but not always, dandruff accompanies oily scalp. I tried H&S, Selsun Blue and a couple of other things to no avail. They actually stopped making this product for a while and recently it's been put back on the shelf, thank GOD!! It's a true life saver, no more dandruff and no more itch!.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/19/2013 4:55:00 AM More reviews by 1s4bel4

I'm so impressed with this product. I saw all the reviews and decided to buy it. After one use, my dandruff is pretty much gone. Yay :D

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by huminahuminahuminahumina

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I started to use this upon a dermatologist's recommendation. I had no expectations of it, but it dramatically reduced the amount of hair I was losing per day. It does need to stay in contact with the scalp for at least 5 minutes in order to be effective, however; so I put it in a needle-nose bottle, shake it up with some water, make parts in my hair, put it on my scalp and let it sit for about 15 minutes before getting in the shower to rinse it off. It has been very effective. My insurance covers me for only 1 bottle a month of the rx 2% ketoconazole shampoo. So, I alternate with this and wash my scalp every day. I'm now losing only about 8 hairs a day in the shower, and I see no hairs on the pillow or the floors or trailing down my back.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 2:56:00 AM More reviews by Xrysali12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The best for dandruff and psoriasis.... The best. A miracle. I have bad psoriasis and i even apply on body and it disappears loveeeee

rated 1 of 5 on 3/19/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by historian12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I've been dealing with dandruff for several years now and I've tried everything: Head and Shoulders, Selsun Blue, T-Gel, T-Sal, and Tea Tree Oil shampoo. I'd left this for last, as it is pretty expensive, but I read the glowing reviews, so I had high hopes for it. I used it faithfully for three months, but there was no difference in the condition of my scalp. On the plus side, it was less drying to my hair than the Tea Tree Oil shampoo I had used (Trader Joe's), but it still didn't help the dandruff. I guess I'm going to have to break down and go to the doctor.