December 18, 2014 | 1471 users online

Nails - Max Factor - Fantasy Fire

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2013 8:05:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Max Factor calls their Max Effect Nail Polish a "great solution for a quick blast of high fashion and trend led color. The colors have literally been taken straight off the runway for you to inject some fun into your everyday wardrobe without costing a fortune." I've been questing for the coveted shade Fantasy Fire for quite a while but I've never found it, so I had darling Deano go on the quest for me. He found me two bottles at Priceline for $5 AUD each. Unfortunately Max Factor products are not currently available in the United States.Many Max Factor products overlap with the Covergirl line available here in America, for example, their Flipsticks and Lash Blast/False Lash Effect mascaras are exactly the same. Sadly the Max Effect polishes aren't carried into the Covergirl line. Max Factor's Max Effect polishes are very small, about half the size of your average polish. This nail lacquer was made in France. Max Factor products are tested on animals.
Packaging for Max Factor's Max Effect Nail Polishes is nice. The bottle is small and square in shape. There's quite a bit of excess glass at the bottom of the bottle. The round, black plastic cap is actually taller than the bottle. The Max Factor logo and product name are printed in gold lettering. The Max Effect brush is short, flat, and a bit stiff with no splayed bristles.
Max Factors Fantasy Fire can be used alone or as a layering polish. Because this lacquer is intended for layering, its quite thin and applies in thin, even layers. It takes three or four coats to make Fantasy Fire opaque. Fantasy Fire doesn't wear super well on it's own, probably because of how many coats are needed to reach opacity. When layered over another polish, Fantasy Fire doesn't seem to effect how it wears. Because the formula of this polish is so thin, it dries very quickly, about 30-40 seconds per coat.
Max Factor's Fantasy Fire is so beautiful and comple, so amazing. In the bottle and on the nail, Fantasy Fire looks like an iridescent purple with red and gold shimmer and a jelly finish. As you turn the bottle over in your hand, you'll see flashes of every color you can imagine. It's breathtaking, a work of art in nail polish form. Fantasy Fire can transfer any polish you layer it over. It gives reds a polish a golden tone, blues get a gold and green sheen, and purples develop a red cast. The things Fantasy Fire can do to any regular polish truly fantastic! I've previous compared Fantasy Fire to Julep's Julia, and while I would group them into a similar family of polishes, they're definitely not dupes.
I really love Max Factor's Fantasy Fire. The formula isn't perfect, you'll go through the little bottles pretty fast if you wear it alone, but the color is so worth it. Its so multi-faceted and makes any color you layer it over so much more interesting. I hope that Max Factor one day returns to America, but until then you'll likely hae to stalk Amazon or eBay if you hope to get your hands on Fantasy Fire. If you live in a country where Max Factor is available, you have no excuse to to own this shade. Go get it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2013 5:42:00 PM More reviews by danimatthews

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this! It is my favourite nail polish ever! It is an amazing colour on its own and when applied as a top coat all I can say is it will take any bail polish you have and make it better! This stuff is amazing! If you are a nail junkie like me you have to have it! :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is far and away one of the most unusual polishes I own (and I have a LOT). It's a very small bottle, about 5mL but it was fairly cheap so no complaints about the price.
The brush is a little small for my liking, the fibres are quite thin but the polish is also on the thin side and it flows very well. I had no problems applying it evenly, so looks can be deceiving!
This polish is utterly mesmerizing - in the bottle, it looks to be a rich indigo with coppery red micro shimmer. When applied, it takes on different reflects, depending on the light - I can get deep forest green, olive, bronzey brown, copper, red and purple. It's almost has holographic qualities but is infinitely more interesting!
The formula itself is quite sheer (otherwise you'd lose some of the impact of the shimmer/reflects I guess) so I like to layer this over a base colour - black, navy, blue, purple and deep pink all work well, I am going to try red next... I only need one coat and it doesn't absolutely require a top coat either, which is great.
The wear is surprisingly good, better than my usual manicure lifespan (my nails get a real bashing) so that's an added bonus.
To summarise, very unusual colour/s, great application, lasts really well and is reasonably cheap - total winner in my book!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 1:04:00 PM More reviews by JasmineJolene

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have seen this product bandied around the internet on nail blogs a lot recently, so when I was in Boots the other day buying a Max Factor eyeshadow on a 2-4-1 deal I thought I'd give it a go. Apparently it's a dupe of a discontinued Clarins polish (but I wouldn't know about that!)

So, onto the polish! In the bottle, it looks like a royal blue/purple metallic polish with coppery microglitter. I was a bit 'meh' when I picked it up (I do have a lot of polish) but as I got it for nothing (normally 3.99) I wasn't too bothered. It comes in the smaller Max Factor bottles, not the full size, and I would have preferred a larger brush, but it was still workable.

I have applied it over No 7 'Me Me Me' which is a hot pink. I have applied 2 coats as the first was a little streaky, and oh my word, I LOVE it! It is purple on the nail, maybe just a hint of blue, and the glitter is just so pretty. Really multi-tonal. In natural light it looks more coppery/purple, under artificial light you get a real greeny/blue sparkle My nails look fake they are so shiny and pretty (although it actually seems to dry quite matte, I have put a topcoat on). I can't attest to the staying power as I only applied it a couple of hours ago, but it stood up to me peeling potatoes alright!

Even if this doesn't last very long (and in all honesty, it's layered over 5 layers of polish so it will probably peel before it chips) I really like it.