Almay Wake Up Eye Shadow - Exhilarate

1.6

on 10/13/2014 12:44:00 AM

Low-quality palette. That's the best way I can describe it.
All around, this palette is inadequate. I got it on sale, but it wasn't even worth what I paid for it.
At first, this seems like a promising product. The colors are coordinated in a unique way, and it just looked like a great palette to have around. Man o man was I wrong. Firstly, the palette has practically no pigmentation. The taupe consists almost entirely out of glitter, the pink is actually very opalesque, and the dark purple, while decently pigmented, is more of a brownish purple than violet. It's not a very flattering look once you put it on. It's usable to a very small degree, but it's pretty disappointing.
The application of these was decent- all except for the taupe. The taupe crumbled -everywhere-. It continued to crumble the whole time. Think of it as applying sand to your eyelids. That's what the taupe color is like.
I did not even want to trust the primer- it is way too flimsy to function as a primer. I've used it as a highlighter, and it works well for that purpose, but there is no way it can compete with UDPP or my current Lancôme Base de Paupieres. I'm not even going to try- the possible results worry me.
As you may guess, the staying power of these shadows isn't great. It's so-so, and it wavers inbetween each color. The taupe is just a fail in itself; it creases like crazy. The purple doesn't crease, but it fades. The light pink seemed to do ok. This trio just cannot redeem itself in any way.
The packaging, in addition, is very annoyingly constructed. I cannot open this frikkin thing to save my life. It's like it's sealed tight. The clear packaging, while kinda cool, looks a bit too industrial for me. Its price is around $8 or $9 usually, and it's way too much for this palette. I would not recommend this by any means; its quality borders on dismal.

on 7/15/2013 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Terrible. All the colors, including the primer, have cheap-looking glitter in them. When I put them on my eyelid, the colors creased and there was fallout all over my face. The primer was greasy and didn't even help the colors stay on. Horrible quality and I definitely won't be purchasing this again.

on 5/26/2013 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

The real problem with this product is the primer, which is just useless. The eyeshadows work if I use my regular primer, or even concealer, but on their own they barely show up. Wet and Wild blows this out of the water. You get twice as much product for half the price, too.

on 9/13/2012 1:34:00 PM

I should have read the reviews on this product before I purchased this cheap-o product. I dislike everything but the color shades in this eyeshadow trio and crappy primer set. The primer is useless It is like creamy paste ( complete with sparkles! ) that does not adhere onto the skin. The eyeshadow consistency is cheap, chalky and like a glitterball. I had shimmer and chunks of glitter fall out all day whilst wearing this junk.

on 8/27/2012 6:12:00 PM

Returned! I did not lookalike Kate Hudson after using this. The primer was oily yet chalky and hard to blend. The shadow looked cheap and glittery on. Ugh. Awful.

on 8/24/2012 9:03:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Agree with the previous reviewer. I thought the colors were beautiful. I put this on before work and it was way too shimmery. I don't think I looked more awake - maybe more like I was going out clubbing. For the price (not cheap for drugstore makeup) I was very disappointed. The primer was ok, but that was it.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

This is an eyeshadow quad, with one being a primer. The primer is white-ish, the other three colors are a soft pink, a dark shimmery taupe, and a dark plum. The colors looked beautiful, and is the reason I bought it. However, the soft pink is too chalky and overpowering. The other two darker colors are not dark enough, and the shimmery taupe is more shimmer than pigment. Very disappointing.