November 27, 2014 | 1433 users online

Nails - Jamberry Nails- Nail Shields

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 11/25/2014 11:42:00 PM More reviews by wyliecoyote787

I wanted to love these, but they are just OK. I have three gripes:
1) These are not quick and easy to apply. It takes me at least 45 minutes to apply them. The application requires intense concentration and fine motor skills. You need a whole repertoire of tools and a heat source. It feels like a chore.
2) They are expensive! While you can get two or three manicures out of a pack, they are still not cheap. For what they are, these things should be very inexpensive.
3) They do not last longer than a week on me. I hear stories of these lasting for 2 weeks, but i am not one of those lucky girls. On top of that, after a couple of days they start lifting and wrinkling in spots. I must "tend" to them by reheating and flattening out the lifting areas, which is so annoying.
The pro with this product is the number of cool, unique designs that are available.
Not sure if i will repurchase when i am done with my stash.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2014 12:43:00 PM More reviews by jjshutterbug

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Love these! As someone who absolutely cannot get polish to last on my nails for even 24 hours, I am so pleased with this product! I am on my second set of Jams and have opted for glittery ones to camouflage my stubby nails that are so damaged from acrylics. (Every time I would get a fill in for my acrylic nails, I would end up with another ridge drilled out of my nail bed!) Was concerned the Jamberries would not hold up on my peeling, sad, short nails. But the first application lasted me over two weeks! I did reheat and help edges lie back down using a small straightening iron (turned on briefly and then turned OFF!)... With minor touch ups after week one, I was still crazy about them at the two week mark! I did have a lot of nail growth at the cuticle so it was time to change at that point.

Lasted through showers and baths and rough treatment. I did not baby them and they held up great. Important not to pick at them or you'll break the seal.

Super important to do the nail preparation recommended. It is a bit tedious to cut some to size if you don't find the right fit. However, I saw the tip on YouTube to use scotch tape and trace the bottom and sides of your nail to be able to find or make the perfect fit. I am picky and did not want them too skinny where a line of nail shows along the side. I was able to fit them all quite well. Also, it is important not to go too wide with them. They don't stay as well and look kind of awful if they are two big and extend onto your skin.

I used a mini space heater to heat mine. Worked perfectly.

The only challenges I found thus far with super short nails is the ability to file off the excess at the end is tricky... and wearing ombré ones wouldn't show the color variation unless I made a template with tape and cut higher up on the wrap. With a little extra effort, I was able to incorporate both colors.

These are SO pretty in person. I love the glittery ones. Got some Christmas ones for fun. I have accented my ring finger with a white on clear chevron wrap applied right over my base wrap.

Can't say enough good things about Jamberry Nail Wraps. Soooo great!

Made the mistake of trying the jams on top of a home gel tip kit where I thought it would be fun to have longer nails to show the jams off. The Jamberries did great BUT the gel nails popped off within a day! Wasted two hands' worth of nail wraps! Drats!! Immediately replaced them with just the Jamberries on my natural nail. Now they will last!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/8/2014 8:06:00 AM More reviews by paigegibney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I did not like these at all!!! I might even have hated them. First of all, way too complicated to apply...I hated having to use my blow dryer to apply them. Very not convenient at all, plus it took me over an hour to do. They advertise ease and quickness, yet it was the complete opposite. The wraps did not lay flat on my nails, so there were tiny sharp edges sticking up all over the place. I used plenty of heat from the blow dryer to seal them, yet they still started pealing up the next day. I removed them that second day because I couldn't stand how they weren't flat on my nails and how some edges began pealing up. I used warm olive oil like the rep suggested...still damaged my nails!!! Never again will I apply these, even as an accent nail. I'd much rather paint my nails and have a beautiful, long lasting, smooth and shiny manicure.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 9:01:00 AM More reviews by twestla

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I tried them, I'm on my second manicure and I love them. I have no ability to keep nail polish on my nails for more than a day. Even with base coat, 2 coast of polish and topcoat. I have tried Sally Hansen as well, I like them, but there is no real selection and they dry out if you don't use whole pack. Jamberry allows you to mix and match since they are vinyl and don't dry out. Longest I kept the first set on was for 7 days. They were still in great condition, I just got bored and wanted to try my different style. I will post my latest manicure. Newspaper & black.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by mizsockmonkey

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Shocked there aren't more reviews for this product!

Just bought my first sets of Jamberry nail wraps after a friend had an online "party" selling them. They had a deal to buy three sets, get one free (which I now know they pretty much *always* have), so I took the plunge and got four sets.

I've tried other brands of nail wraps in the past with limited success. These are slightly different from other brands I've tried in that they have a heat-activated adhesive on the back. You find the size for your nail, snip the wrap in half crosswise (at least I did, this way you'll have two nail wraps of each size), remove the clear backing, hold it with tweezers, heat it (I used a hair dryer, which is a bit of a pain in the ass but I got used to it). Then apply the wrap to the nail and smooth down, making sure you aren't touching any cuticle/skin and that there aren't any bubbles. Then you heat it again, once it's on your nail, I guess to strengthen the bond. If you have any issues, there are *tons* of application videos on YouTube, mostly from Jamberry reps who are trying to sell you the product.

Like many products, the Jamberry nails reps will exaggerate how much use you can get out of the product. They say they last up to two weeks. Mine lasted about five days. Additionally if you have any bumps on your nails, they probably won't last as long because the surface isn't as smooth. I peeled mine off easily after five days of wear, with no remover or anything. They were starting to bubble up at the edges and peel at the tips.

The website says you don't need any base coat or top coat. However, I may try a top coat next time to see if that adds any additional days of wear.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the nail wraps so far. Nail polish does *not* last a long time on my hands - I experience a lot of wear at the tips and chipping, and the nice thing about Jamberry is that (excluding a bit of bubbling at the edges) they looked nice until removal. I'll update further after my next application.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by HGL

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

6/14 update - I have switched to Broadway Impress (see my review).

I am surprised there aren't more reviews of this MUA, now that they have been out awhile. I have been using these for about a year and a half and have a love/hate relationship with them. I was introduced to them by a friend who started selling them and initially just tried them to support her but ended up getting hooked on them.

I had been looking for a nontoxic nail polish product for years and tried various water-based polishes (all of which were very difficult to remove and a serious PITA). Enter Jamberry. These are primarily marketed to people who like nail art and come mostly in crazy patterns and designs that I would not wear personally, but I could see being popular with young teens in particular and people who generally like wild nails. They have a small but growing number of solids, and although I tried a few foil patterns, they just look ridiculous on me and I am going to stick with my neutrals, grays and red. They do have some cool patriotic flag type ones, for the Olympics that would be cool! . . . Anyhow,

The pros:

No fumes or toxic ingredients

Last longer than regular polish
--regular polish lasts a couple of hours on me at best, Jamberries last about 5 days on me. The person I buy them from has similar longevity, despite company claims of 2 week wear time

Cheaper than professional manicures

The cons:

Much more expensive than normal home manicures

PITA to apply

Inconsistent results, despite 1.5 years of use

Last around 5 days, similar report from sales rep who I buy them from, nowhere near the claimed 2 weeks

Several things cause them to lift (heat, prolonged water contact, lotions)

Limited solid color selection

Have to mail order and pay for shipping

Unlike most MUAers, I am not a person who loves to do my nails. I just want them to look good! :-D This product is both a godsend and PITA. It would be *great* for kids, as there is no spill factor or mess or toxicity to worry about. Other than that, the only reason to use them is if you can't or don't want to expose yourself to the fumes of normal DIY nail polish and cannot use or afford Shellac, etc.

I have found using a really good crystal file helps with application. I have had the best success with OPI's. I also use the plastic baggie technique you can find on YouTube.

There are a number of videos on YouTube with tips on application, which I highly recommend watching as application is tricky. Getting the free edge is critical. Doing them late in the day so you will not be washing your hands, showering, cooking, etc for at least 8 hours seems to help a great deal. Keeping hands out of the oven was an unexpected issue (even briefly turning something), so always use potholders for even the briefest heat exposure. Always wear gloves for dishwashing and cleaning. Minimize lotions, especially for first 24 hours. And, I think self-tanner may lift these somewhat, so I try to time application accordingly.

These can lift some of the nail when removed. I find soaking hands in hot water and taking them off really gently is the best approach and minimizes the risk of peeling.

All that being said, when these are good, they are very very good and I get a lot of compliments on them. When they are bad, they are a real PITA and lift and fall off even after less than a day. The above precautions and following the Jamberry instructions carefully can help minimize this.

All in all, until Shellac is perfected, I will probably continue to use these (sigh)!
Good luck!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

My sister gave me one of Jamberry Nails' nail shields to try out. I am trying to grown out my nails or should I say stubs. I have been a serious, committed nail biter for years. She heard that some people had success with these nail shields while they tried to wean themselves from nail biting. So I gave this one strip a try.

I got a blue and white striped nail shield. It comes in one long strip that you have to cut in half. I wish they would just give you two long strips so you didn't have to cut them, but oh well it really isn't that much of a hassle. Application was easy and there are videos online that demonstrate how to apply the shields.

The only problem with application I had was getting the top of the shield to seal seamlessly. I'm not sure if this was a problem with the product or my lack of a good nail file.

I ended up only wearing my nail shields for about three days, supposedly they last 2 weeks on finger nails. These things are essentially a big sticker on your nail and I found myself picking at the sides of the shield and the top where it wasn't seamless. If you don't pick and bite at your nails these might be a great option. They looked nice and were easy to put on, but personally I don't think they work for me and my bad habits.