April 17, 2014 | 1585 users online

Nails - Jamberry Nails- Nail Shields

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by HGL

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am surprised there aren't more reviews of this MUA, now that they have been out awhile. I have been using these for about a year and a half and have a love/hate relationship with them. I was introduced to them by a friend who started selling them and initially just tried them to support her but ended up getting hooked on them.

I had been looking for a nontoxic nail polish product for years and tried various water-based polishes (all of which were very difficult to remove and a serious PITA). Enter Jamberry. These are primarily marketed to people who like nail art and come mostly in crazy patterns and designs that I would not wear personally, but I could see being popular with young teens in particular and people who generally like wild nails. They have a small but growing number of solids, and although I tried a few foil patterns, they just look ridiculous on me and I am going to stick with my neutrals, grays and red. They do have some cool patriotic flag type ones, for the Olympics that would be cool! . . . Anyhow,

The pros:

No fumes or toxic ingredients

Last longer than regular polish
--regular polish lasts a couple of hours on me at best, Jamberries last about 5 days on me. The person I buy them from has similar longevity, despite company claims of 2 week wear time

Cheaper than professional manicures

The cons:

Much more expensive than normal home manicures

PITA to apply

Inconsistent results, despite 1.5 years of use

Last around 5 days, similar report from sales rep who I buy them from, nowhere near the claimed 2 weeks

Several things cause them to lift (heat, prolonged water contact, lotions)

Limited solid color selection

Have to mail order and pay for shipping

Unlike most MUAers, I am not a person who loves to do my nails. I just want them to look good! :-D This product is both a godsend and PITA. It would be *great* for kids, as there is no spill factor or mess or toxicity to worry about. Other than that, the only reason to use them is if you can't or don't want to expose yourself to the fumes of normal DIY nail polish and cannot use or afford Shellac, etc.

I have found using a really good crystal file helps with application. I have had the best success with OPI's. I also use the plastic baggie technique you can find on YouTube.

There are a number of videos on YouTube with tips on application, which I highly recommend watching as application is tricky. Getting the free edge is critical. Doing them late in the day so you will not be washing your hands, showering, cooking, etc for at least 8 hours seems to help a great deal. Keeping hands out of the oven was an unexpected issue (even briefly turning something), so always use potholders for even the briefest heat exposure. Always wear gloves for dishwashing and cleaning. Minimize lotions, especially for first 24 hours. And, I think self-tanner may lift these somewhat, so I try to time application accordingly.

These can lift some of the nail when removed. I find soaking hands in hot water and taking them off really gently is the best approach and minimizes the risk of peeling.

All that being said, when these are good, they are very very good and I get a lot of compliments on them. When they are bad, they are a real PITA and lift and fall off even after less than a day. The above precautions and following the Jamberry instructions carefully can help minimize this.

All in all, until Shellac is perfected, I will probably continue to use these (sigh)!
Good luck!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2012 11:16:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

My sister gave me one of Jamberry Nails' nail shields to try out. I am trying to grown out my nails or should I say stubs. I have been a serious, committed nail biter for years. She heard that some people had success with these nail shields while they tried to wean themselves from nail biting. So I gave this one strip a try.

I got a blue and white striped nail shield. It comes in one long strip that you have to cut in half. I wish they would just give you two long strips so you didn't have to cut them, but oh well it really isn't that much of a hassle. Application was easy and there are videos online that demonstrate how to apply the shields.

The only problem with application I had was getting the top of the shield to seal seamlessly. I'm not sure if this was a problem with the product or my lack of a good nail file.

I ended up only wearing my nail shields for about three days, supposedly they last 2 weeks on finger nails. These things are essentially a big sticker on your nail and I found myself picking at the sides of the shield and the top where it wasn't seamless. If you don't pick and bite at your nails these might be a great option. They looked nice and were easy to put on, but personally I don't think they work for me and my bad habits.