OPI Fresh Frog Of Bel Air

3.4

on 7/26/2015 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This polish is from OPI's 2011 Muppets collection. It's basically identical to "Gettin' Miss Piggy With It", except that GMPWI is red and silver, and this is green and silver (it's not easy being green... ;)).

This is a layering polish, a glitter top coat. It's bright, medium green glitter, micro and small standard, plus some bigger silver pieces, all suspended in a clear base. The glitter is not very dense at all. If you want to wear this on its own, you can, but it's quite subtle unless you really use multiple coats (I haven't tried wearing it alone, but I'd say you need a minimum of four coats to get anything like full coverage and even then I have my doubts as to how opaque it would be). I like to wear this with a couple of coats over a silver base, though it does look great over a medium green base, which really makes the glitter pop.

The dry surface when using this polish can be gritty. I deal with that by adding a basic clear coat on top, then a quick dry top coat. The combination works well to make the surface smooth (or at least smoother).

Like a lot of glitter polishes, this is devilishly difficult to remove. Be careful, or you can damage the surface of your nails (voice of experience). I recommend using the foil-and-cotton method (soak cotton pads or balls with remover, place on nail, wrap nail with a small piece of foil to hold the remover in place and promote warmth, leave in place for several minutes).

I gave this polish only three lippies because I really think this could have been better. Particularly, I think the glitter-to-base ratio is too high. I like my bling to be blingy, and not require too many coats, but this really does need a fair bit of layering to get the look happening.

on 8/13/2013 1:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm a glitter fan, and while this is a nice glitter, it takes a lot to fully coat your nail. OPI has gotten so much better with their glitter polishes lately and I'm reminded of that whenever I pull out an old glitter like this one.

It's two colors - small bright green glitter with larger silver glitter. Very pretty, but not one of my glitter mainstays.

on 1/26/2013 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Green small glitter mixed with bigger silver circle glitter in a clear base. I was hoping it would have been in a green base as well because then it could have been made opaque with less coats. All in all it is pretty though, and a nice tribute to Kermit!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is from the 2011 Muppets collection which was released for the Christmas Holidays. The collection has plenty of bling for party nails and I adore it! I have most of the polishes from this collection.

The main colour of The Fresh Frog of Bel Air is a bright, festive Emerald Green. It is fantastic, but to me it does look very Christmassy (the combination of the bright green, with the sparkle and silver glitter) - I donít think I have worn this one out of the holiday season (yet).

It looks fantastic with a little black dress - I wore it for a weekend in London where I went to the theatre to see "Wicked" - my nails matched the Emerald city and the witch of the west and I felt very pleased with myself!

4 polishes from this collection follow the same formula but with different main colours
The Fresh Frog of Bel Air - Green
Getting Miss Piggy with it - Red
Gone Gonzo - Light Blue
Divine Swine - Purple
They all have a clear base coat and 2 colours of Glitter (their main colour and silver) The silver particles are larger chunks of foil that really catch the light.

Due to the clear base coat - to get full coverage from the polish you really do need 3-4 coats. An alternative method of application is to paint your nails in a polish of the main colour first and then apply maybe 2 coats of the glitter. This helps the glitter pop and also saves you using so much. I have used this method while painting my nails with TFFOBA and used 1 coat of "Donít mess with OPI" from the Texas collection.

As with all glitters TFFOBA is brittle and therefore prone to chipping, but this is not a problem for me as it is easy to patch up. I just carry the bottle in my hand bag just in case. If you like to wear polish for a few days and can not be bothered to do this then this may not be for you.

And when you actually want to remove it - it take ages!

I have scored this one a 4. I really really love it but it did not get a 5 because I prefer the base colours of some of the other polishes in this collection. I also think the other colours look good year round, where I feel this is more of an October - December polish.

If I run out I will want to buy another bottle but I think these glitters are increasingly hard to find now.

on 8/12/2012 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Colour: 3/5
Application: 2/5

So, like the other glitters in the Muppets Collection, this is much better used as a top coat. It is a gorgeous green glitter with some silver hexagonal chunks. It can be built up and worn alone, but it is much easier just to put a couple of layers over a green polish. It takes about 4 or 5 coats to build up by itself.

on 2/10/2012 3:05:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Received this as a gift. I don't normally wear glittery polish, but for this (and Divine Swine) I will make an exception. So far I have worn it on its own, which required three coats, but looked great. The sparkles really pop. It lasted for days without chipping and required a lot of work to remove. I am looking forward to experimenting with other colors as a base, but even without another color, this is a winner.

on 1/19/2012 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I want to return this one. it looks fine and the shine is fabulous but mine chips a lot. it doesn't stay even for one whole day. i wore it as is with no base coats. may be with some coats it stays for longer but don't like to add so many coats.

on 1/9/2012 6:53:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I wanted to love this color, I really did, but even someone who loves Gone Gonzo and the other Muppet glitters, I just could not make this work. It was my first love from that collection, and still the prettiest bottle on my shelf, but for the life of me, as an actual polish, I just can't make this color work. Tried a dozen different base colors, going bare, and just layering the crap out of it and it just never quite worked.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This polish is a gorgeous green glitter with chunks of round silver glitter throughout. Great addition to my collection as its nothing like anything I have!! Its a little sheer so it requires a base coat of some kind to fill it in and get the full effect. I just used a shimmery green nail polish from Rimmel and two coats of the glitter polish on top. I wore this over this combination during Christmas season for some fast holiday nails.

As with all OPI nail polishes, the brush is great and I get a week out of my manicure before it starts to wear or chip. Some glitter nail polishes chip easily but this one didn't chip after a week of wear. The formula is great - doesn't bubble up when using more than 1 coat. Decently priced at $9.99...but I will pay that price for nail polishes that last so long.

A green sparkly nail polish is something I will always have around for a quick Christmas manicure. I love this so much that I am considering purchasing a back up! I will definitely repurchase

Popular Polishes