April 17, 2014 | 1809 users online

Polishes - Orly - Androgynie

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/2/2014 8:48:00 AM More reviews by countrybearjamboree

Oh I like this! I wouldn't think to make a polish of this color. The base is a warm toned smoky olive but then they added various sized mutli-colored gitter in it. Interesting that is for sure. The base is sheer and almost like a jelly like consistency. It can be hard to work with. The large glitter particles do fall to the bottom of the bottle so constant shaking during the application process is a must. Two coats gives a dark olive grey base. The color appears enchanting to me. Idk, fairies and gobblins lurking in a forest comes to mind.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2013 1:32:00 AM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm calling this one Glitter With Attitude. Or I'm Too Bad To Be Glitter. I have mixed feelings for this polish. It's pretty for what it is, it's just not what I was expecting to get. This is a simply beautiful glittery polish that reminds me of a starry sky. The glitters are blue, green, silver, and orange hexes and golden microshimmers suspended in a black jelly base. This is a jelly so it is best used as a layering polish over a base and that brings this polish to life with one easy coat. I used this over a base of black creme and really enjoy the effect, but overall it is a disappointment and not nearly as pretty as what's in the bottle as the glitters tend to stick to the sides of the glass and so that look is what I expected to get. I did not have to fish and there is a nice ratio of glitter to suspension. The problem is the black base although sheer is dark and obscures/muddies a lot of the beauty of the glitters. While this is gorgeous overall and close up it has it's merits and as a true polish lover I can find love for this beauty in my drawer, I was hoping for a more in your face look. I will happily use this up as I like the subtle I'm glitter, but I'm not, attitude this polish has. This is like glitter for tough girls. Or guys.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2013 11:06:00 PM More reviews by KGirl24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this nail polish because I was looking for a black with multi-colored glitter. This is a very pretty polish. It has tiny gold specks throughout and colored glitter as well. This polish applies nicely, however, all of the glitter was at the bottom of the bottle. No matter how hard I tried, all I would get is the gold specks. I would not repurchase this because the colored glitter hardly showed up.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I thought this would be a more multidimensional Mermaid's Tale by SH, which it is in a way, but it's far more warm toned than I had though. The gold micro glitter in the black base is really off putting to me. I did have a hard time getting the blue and teal hex glitter to show up, the base is so dark it would cover if I wasn't careful.

The formula was Orly's typical great formula and only took two coats to achieve opacity with.

A great polish all in all, but just too warm toned for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/27/2013 5:36:00 PM More reviews by aznmnkygrl808

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Polish is a gorgeous black brown with gold and multi colored glitter. Sometimes in the light, polish looks almost khaki green?? Formula is a jelly and sheer with one coat. I always do my usual 2 coats. It's hard to get chunky glitter onto brush. Pretty color but its not one that I always grab for. Won't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2012 11:44:00 PM More reviews by DebbieDahmer

Along with Fowl Play, this one got on my nerves. Androgynie is a murkey black-brown jelly polish with green-silver-gold hex glitter with green and gold microglitter. It sounds pretty and looks pretty save for one big detail:

The glitter settles at the bottom.

Always. I always have to shake the bottle violently to get the glitter to disperse evenly in the bottle. However the bottle is laid, that's where the glitter accumulates and nothing short of a centrifuge can fix it. After it IS fixed, the polish applies evenly, going opaque in 3 coats. It's just not worth it. What the hell, Orly? It's the lava lamp of polish. Maybe a defective bottle but it's incredibly annoying.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2012 7:27:00 PM More reviews by heyjoni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This was an impulse buy at Sally. It caught my eye by looking all kinds of crazy awesome in the bottle. A black jelly with silver glitter and multicolor (green! blue! orange! purple! probably more!) hexagonal glitter? Yeah, I was hypnotized. Gimme. Applying it is another story though. Thank you to everyone on teh interwebz for the tips! The best way to maximize your Androgynie experience goes like this: 1. Store bottle upside down, so all the glitters and sparklies are easily at your disposal when you begin painting. 2. Definitely use a plain black nail polish (over a base coat if you prefer) as your base layer. Androgynie is pretty sheer on its own and it's easy to lose the glitter if you try to apply 3 coats of that alone to make it opaque. 3. Apply one coat of Orly Androgynie. 4. Use a shiny top coat. 5. Be in awe of your dazzling glitter-packed outer-spacey-looking nails! The multicolored hexagonal glitter is pretty awesome, just not in the most abundant supply in the polish. That being said, I'm not the biggest fan of the super-duper chunky glittermania polishes, so maybe less is more for me. Pretty fab and, of course, would be perfect for a New Year's celebration.
*edit: Okay, I wish this had a bit more of the chunkier glitter...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 5:41:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I know that some were disappointed with the formula on this color when it came out last fall - but I think Androgynie is so unique and beautiful! It does apply better if you turn the bottle upside down to get the hex glitter closer to the top of the bottle. Also applying it over one coat of black polish will prevent the hex glitter from disappearing on the nail. I love it even by itself though. The black jelly base with the gold microglitter is such a sophisticated mix. The multi-colored hex glitter makes it fun as well. I didn't have any trouble getting it to apply smoothly. I don't have anything else like it in my collection, and for that it goes into my top 20 favorite polishes :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2012 1:43:00 AM More reviews by kerriki

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG ooo whaa SQEEEE!!!!! I bought this off ebay without really understanding about its flakies and glitter! Its amazing...makes me feel I just put on a Tiffany necklace or something! Granted, as a newbie I can see the application is a bit tricky, but with the mixing of materials to obtain the suspension and stick and the need for the right degree of transparency to allow the glitter to glow through I reckon they have done a super job!
Only a year into full-blown nail polish fascination I am starting to think Orly is da bomb...the colours have a complex quality that lifts them out of the mundane.
PS This is a black with awesome rainbow glitter, and flakes mainly in the blue green gold spectrum.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 10:07:00 AM More reviews by raggie92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My actual first glittery nail polish! ORLY's formula is FANTASTIC! It's a beautiful brown-black base with LOADS of small and chunky glitters in it. It will definitely look better with a shiny top coat IMO, since I don't put top coats.

The formula is one of the best I have tried on my nails. It just dries down so quickly and smooth! It's a perfect nail polish to glam up your night with your friends or your loved ones. This nail polish is appropriate for day too, but I prefer it to touch up my nails for the nights I go out.

Longevity: I say it's good enough because so far my nails are chipped after 1-2 weeks of wearing this nail polish on my toes and fingers.
Will definitely repurchase because it's so good!