September 17, 2014 | 950 users online

Polishes - Sephora - Sephora by OPI - Rumba Romance

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2013 9:05:00 PM More reviews by MAChostage

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I see why this was on sale -- at TJ Maxx. Gorgeous in the bottle, sheer and streaky on the nails. I stopped after the first coat because I wasn't satisfied with it and knew I wasn't willing to do multiple (more than 2) coats. Regretful purchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2011 4:25:00 PM More reviews by Melavia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bought it on sale at Sephora and absolutely love it. I generally enjoy gold-tone colors. This one is more on the yellow/copper side than gold alone. I need two coats for a complete opaque look, which is the standard for most of my polishes. The color is very rich with fine glitter/shimmers. I really like the brush and somehow the fomula just glide on my nails like a dream. I always put a top coat on it so the staying power is extended. It would usually stay for a week but I tend to redo my nails with other colors before that.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/4/2011 8:19:00 PM More reviews by okidoki35

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My rating is based on the color alone (i supposed personal preference). I tested it out on one nail, and the color was really off from what the website had shown, so I had to return it. So I can't judge the quality, whether it's chip resistent or long-wearing. On the website, it looks like a bronzy color, but on the nail it was this very 80s-disco-vegas gold.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/23/2011 10:19:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

What it Claims:
"Sephora by OPI Nail Colour, a line of 54+ trend-setting shades, puts the final touch on fingertips and toes with a top-quality formula you have come to expect from OPI. The long-lasting, chip-resistant polish ensures flawless results with each application, and its green ingredient list excludes DBP, toluene, and formaldehyde."

Claims - True or False?
1) Long-Lasting: True.
2) Chip-resistant: True.
3) Flawless results with each application: Mostly true.

Packaging:
As the packaging is quite similar to the original OPIs, I will simply compare.
The caps are a smooth, matte black with a slight grit for grip. The Sephora by OPI caps are rounded off unlike the original OPIs, and I find that this roundness makes for a more comfortable gripping. The shapes of the bottles are more or less the same, but the Sephora by OPI bottles are more rounded. The smoothness of the shape is similar to that of China Glaze polishes. The Sephora by OPI brushes are much smaller than the originals, which I find offers better control and less streaking. With the original OPI pro-wide brush, I always end up with streaks, and with the creams it's almost impossible to apply.
Aesthetically, I find that it looks better, especially with the typography, and functionally, I prefer the Sephora by OPI bottles to the originals.

Consistency:
Not super opaque, but not sheer in any way; I only need two coats. However, I find it hard to get it to cover the tips of my nails properly, even when I make sure to push a lot of product in that area (may have been a base coat issue - will update). Fine warm micro-glitter, but I'd prefer chunkier glitter for this shade/formula. It goes on very smoothly with minimal brush stroke lines. The colour of this is definitely what's going to make or break this polish, as it's definitely not a shade that can easily be pulled off by everyone. I have neutral-warm skin, and I do find that this shade does clash a bit with my skin tone. It's a very strong, metallic orangy bronze, almost a bit of yellow in some lights. I do think that a shade like this would look great over dark shades (black or very dark reddish purple would be great), but I find that it goes on too opaque in one coat for it to work well as a sheer overlay over other polishes. This may be a matter of just applying super thin layers, but in that case it would be hard to apply and could result in weird blotches of colour.

Wear Time:
I can usually get pretty good wear with this polish, as with the other glitter Sephora by OPI polishes I own. Whether worn on its own or over other polishes, I can easily wear it up to a week before tip wear starts to bother me. That being said, because I have a hard time getting the tips properly covered in the first place, it does seem like tip wear can happen sooner than I'd like. I don't think it chips all that much, at least not with every wear and nothing super bad when it does happen.

Bang for your Buck:
These bottles retail for about $9.50USD on the Sephora website for 15ml. When I bought this (sometime in 2010 I believe), it was about $12.00CAD. I know a lot of people complain that the price is too high, but I don't personally have any issues with the price for the amount given, especially since one bottle can easily last many years. Because I prefer this formula overall to the original OPIs (which I find to be too thick and gloopy), I feel that the price is justified.

Final Consensus:
An interesting shade for sure, not something seen in many brands. But it's definitely harder to pull off for some, and not a perfect formula. I'm really on the fence about how I feel about this polish, but I do think that the pros outweigh the cons for me, and something about this shade does keep me from disliking it. If interested in this shade, I recommend swatching in-store before buying to save yourself any potential hassle of having to return it if it doesn't suit you.
- Pros: Easy to apply, decent wear, unique colour, pretty finish, nice packaging and brush
- Cons: Only available through Sephora, formula doesn't apply perfectly over entire nail, hard to pull off for some skin tones, not sheer enough to easily use as an overlay shade

Overall Rating: 3.5/5
Price: 2/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2011 2:49:00 PM More reviews by rynamyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Disappointing considering I like many other Sephora by OPI polishes. Gorgeous colour in the bottle but very thin formula when applied, I needed 4 coats to be opaque.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/30/2011 9:29:00 PM More reviews by mdjb0

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I thought it was an opaque color when I first bought it. I wish there are more glitter particles packed in the polish, so I don't have to layer it so much. The color is nice though. The smell is really strong.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2011 6:47:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this hoping it would be a dark, solid bronze color with gold flecks (judging by how it looked online). When I put it on, it was a very sheer coat of warm gold sparkle. You would need at least three coats to wear this alone, and it is probably better off being worn as a topcoat over an opaque color (black would be a pretty base for this). It was not what I was expecting, and I wasn't thrilled with the color or formula, which was thin and had a very strong chemical smell.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by RachaelSpiffy

This is a very sheer polish that needs 3 coats. This is a bronze rusty color that is pull of micro glitter. I like that this color looks rusty it is cool. The formula is super thin and runny which isn't ideel but still a nice color.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2011 6:28:00 PM More reviews by shiningshdw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this on sale for $5 a well. I LOVE it. I love this glitter formulation. I wish I bought the other glitter colors too! But it's actually a super fine glitter suspended in clear polish. The first coat is unimpressive, just some sparse glitter in clear polish. But put a 2nd or 3rd coat on and it's an amazing multi-dimensional metallic color. What's also wonderful about this polish is that it goes on beautifully. Since it's just pieces of glitter, there's none of the streaking that you have to worry about with a normal metallic polish. You get a perfect opaque, beautiful finish with no effort at all. The only con is that it's kind of a pain to take off.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/29/2011 12:20:00 AM More reviews by xleahcarx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This was on sale at Sephora for $5 usually $9. This is a pretty copper color. One coat is a sheer copper bronzey shimmer and two coats makes it full.