November 28, 2014 | 1844 users online

Mascara - Yves Saint Laurent - Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils in Sublime Grey (8)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2011 2:14:00 AM More reviews by ladyfey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am ultra fair, black mascara looks like too much on me and I look horrible in browns. This grey is perfect! The formula is clumpy and sticky, maybe I just got an old one. It is hard to believe that for the price, it isn't smoother. For the color alone, I will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2010 9:58:00 PM More reviews by philosophin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I like this mascara, but this particular color is too subtle for my tastes. I got it in the fall, when grey mascara was supposedly a makeup trend, and I was intrigued by the idea. It has the effect of a soft black mascara. Unfortunately, for someone that already has dark lashes it may be a little bit too subtle of an effect. Even 3 coats doesn't get anything approaching dramatic. Faux Cils in general, however, seems to have a pretty nice formula. It doesn't really flake and smears less than other mascaras--even if you accidentally rub your eyes, it will smear a bit, but not as dramatically as others would. It also doesn't clump and has excellent staying power. Its primary effect is lengthening of the lashes--I wasn't really seeing any volume changes. Interestingly, it seems to make my lashes feel softer. I would purchase Faux Cils in a different color, but not the grey.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2010 6:17:00 PM More reviews by FleurDefendue

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have used and loved Faux Cils for years. This color is no exception. On me is lighter than charcoal, it is rather a "mouse" grey. The quality is superb. It separates my lashes well and it makes them look very dramatic and thick. What I like the most is that this particular color looks very glossy on my lashes. It makes them look like I have been crying or I just got out of the sea, but it keeps them separated at the same time. It is m favorite color to use with Chanel Smokey Eye quad, it compliments the eyeshadows really well. I would give it 5 lippies, but I must save perfect rating for Guerlain Le 2. Otherwise, I would surely repurchase this color, is the most true grey I have found in a mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2009 6:40:00 PM More reviews by bethd44

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff. A subtle grey, much kinder than black on my older-but-wiser blue/green eyes. I curl my lashes, apply a bit of Shisedo's Mascara Base and then this and get lovely results. It doesn't smudge or flake on me but removes much easier than the waterproof formulas I used to wear. Had to give up on that due to too much wear-and-tear in removal. I also have YSL Faux Cils in the violet color, which I love, especially at night.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/9/2009 5:32:00 PM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

Darkharbour described the color of this mascara so accurately that I need not revisit that aspect in this review. But I find the formula just mediocre (which may be because I'm spoiled by Armani's Eyes to Kill). I get moderate volume and length, yes, but with a lot of work. And the brush doesn't give the wonderful "fan of lashes" effect I get with Eyes to Kill, either. It wears well (no smudging and only the occasional flake), removes fairly easily, and is the perfect, perfect grey, but I will not repurchase as I think it's vastly overpriced for the results I get. Oh, and it's in one of those ridiculously oversized tubes that try to make you think you're getting more for your money. I'll be trying Mr. Armani's "Gunmetal Grey" next time.

Update: I ended up trashing this (and I can't believe I did given what I paid for it). It smeared, smudged, and irritated my eyes. Mr. Armani, here I come!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2009 9:22:00 AM More reviews by darkharbour

I will not comment on the formula of Faux Cils, except to say that it is the best in the universe if you want long, thick,dramatic lashes in two coats. It is simply without par. Sublime Grey is a sooty, soft charcoal with a bit of shimmery silver. It looks smoky and sexcy and is a nice change from black. Add a soft grey smudgy liner and you have smoky eyes "Lite" -- perfect for day wear. Lovely shade.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No