New York Color Grand Central Station clear nail polish

3.8

on 3/5/2015 8:03:00 PM

This product taught me a very important lesson. Don't buy the cheapest topcoat at Wal-Mart. This is the cheapest; it cost something like $1.84 when I bought it, and it definitely has bargain-basement performance. The good parts are that this brushes on easily, dries quickly and provides great shine. The bad part is that when I wear this polish literally peels off my nails. A whole nail's worth of polish comes off in one piece. I have also had my polish slide off in the shower (again, a whole nail's worth comes off cleanly in one piece). Do yourself a favor and invest a couple more dollars in a better topcoat.

I bought this clear nail polish because I read on G's NouveauCheap beauty blog that it is her holy grail product. I tried it several times as either a top coat or base coat and it never helped to keep the nail color last long. It's like using glue on your nails. In a day or two the nail color just peels off like glue on our nails or skin. I'm just glad I got it for like .69cents instead of the full price. I don't think it's worth the praise or hype. I am tossing this thing in the trash. Total waste of time.

on 1/29/2015 1:18:00 PM

Just wondering who named this product?...Grand Central isn't a station, it's a terminal. Grand Central Terminal. Just sayin:)

on 1/29/2015 1:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my HG topcoat!! Love it!! Got this at Wal-mart for $1.99. I love the whole in a ny minute line!!

on 10/21/2014 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

This polish and I have a love-hate relationship with. It works amazingly on my pedicures. I put like 2-3 coats on my pedi and it lasted for almost a month. The problem normally comes with my manicures. I will put 1-3 coats on my manis, and no matter how many coats I do, it peels off the next day or 2 days after that. It's sad because I really did/do like this nail polish, just not for my manicures.

on 7/9/2014 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I wish I could give this like 1.5/5 stars. Its not terrible to get a one but not good enough for a two. I use this as a base and top coat and my nails will look beautiful and shiny for one day. The next day the nailpolish peels right off. I dont want a manicure for one day! And I usually paint my nails at night so I get like 9pm on Monday to 9pm on Tuesday for one manicure. This is upsetting, wasted money. I know its a clear nail polish but at Target I went on MUA to see reviews and people liked this as a base and topper so i was like I trust NYC lets do it. But the beautiful perfect mani lasts 24 hours. Havent tried this with glitters but I bet it'd be easy to peel off glitter with this as a base and topper. Im not sure if its bad as a base or topper or just both. Im a penny pincher and tried to get this one dollar something for a clear and it just doesnt make me happy. I guess its better for it to peel off in one day then to chip because then I'd have to bust out my acetone. Wont repurchase, I prefer Sally Hansen even if its more expensive, but its cheaper at the Family Dollar Hollllaa

on 6/20/2014 12:40:00 PM

This is the second top-coat I've tried out since adding base coat/topcoat application into my polish routine. I picked this up on recommendation from Nouveau Cheap; at the price, there could be no ignoring the rec. Funnily, it doesn't call itself a top-coat, but it definitely works like one so don't let that deter you from using it that way.

I noticed my polish stayed on without chipping and much longer than the previous topcoat I tried out, the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-chip Topcoat. With that, my nail polish would peel itself off my fingers in clean sheets within a couple days. I didn't have that problem whatsoever with NYC Grand Central Station. With the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri, my bottle also gooped up halfway through use, whereas NYC Grand Central Station didn't get thick until it was just a smidge from the bottom anyway.

I did experience some smearing of design sometimes that I remembered, but I think I hadn't let my color dry first before applying this. I think if you've worked hard on a design, maybe you should wait till your nail art is completely dry first to make sure this doesn't drag colors.

I'm trying out other top coats for a while to make sure there's nothing better out there, but it may be that this proves to best those also :)

on 5/5/2014 11:19:00 AM

Bye bye Seche Vite. Dirt cheap, doesn't gloop up, shiny, dries FAST! I buy them in multiples when they are on sale. HG!

on 5/4/2014 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

This makes a great topcoat. It is very shiny and the best part: inexpensive. Dries fast, doesn't chip. I use it with SinfulColors and other Quick Dry polishes and I am very satisfied. Will definitely be purchasing again.

EDIT: I am halfway through my first bottle and it is kinda goopy. I hope it's just a bad batch, because I have a second one and it seems to be okay.

on 4/30/2014 3:54:00 PM

It's not the best at anything but at $1.99 per bottle, does it need to be? It does what I need it to. If I'm in a hurry or want maximum shine I still reach for the Seche Vite, but NYC GCS is a great additional product to have on hand.

Pros:
- price
- you can find it anywhere
- doesn't need special thinner like SV does
- makes my manicures last (for me good wear time is 5 days no matter what combination of products I use, and this gives me 5 days!)
- Doesn't give you shrinkage like SV does
- Works with Zoya

Cons:
- not the shiniest
- is more vulnerable to scratches/dulling over the course of your manicure
- takes a bit longer to dry than the best quick dry top coats

Popular Polishes