LUSH King of the Mods

LUSH King of the Mods

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

This styling gel is absolutely FANTASTIC for my fine, naturally curly hair! I had just landed at the Toronto Airport when I walked into the Lush store after remembering I had forgotten to bring my styling cream with me. The SA recommended KOTM and gave me a sample to try all the while warning me not to fall in love with it because LUSH is discontinuing the product (it will be replaced with Dirty). I used it to twist my hair before going to bed that night and OF COURSE my twistout the next morning was fabulous and OF COURSE I am now completely in love with this product, scouring the Earth (aka as my city) to buy the remaining jars before it completely disappears from the shelves!

What I really like is that I can use it on dry hair - I use it to retwist my hair at night right before going to bed, and I can appreciate not going to bed with wet hair. The texture is quite light and watery, but it doesn't drip and I only one fingertip per twist. The next morning, my twistout is fluffy, frizz-free, well-defined and compliment-ready :)

In my eyes, this product is virtually flawless except for the smell (be warned - it's quite strong, you walk around smelling like key lime pie) and the cost, OMG! However, I will admit that the jar will last me longer than expected, but that's only because I am cutting this product with another one to make sure KOTM lasts me as long as it can because that's a lot of moola for a small-a$$ jar!

All in all though, very satisfied with this product. I highly recommend to try and to stock up before there's no more left!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I cannot get this product to work for me, it's useless. I have curly hair and got this for soft hold and to tame frizz. It proves to be a needless step. I either can use a tiny amount and it does nothing but increase - yes, increase - my frizz, which I then have to tame with gel. Or, I can use more to get rid of the frizz it created but then if I don't shampoo it will be gross and greasy (and I have dry hair and non-oily scalp, my hair never gets greasy). I would have to shampoo everyday to be able to use this product. Why it is creating more frizz than I have without using any product is beyond me. This is a fail in my book.
UPDATE: I returned this product. I had lost my receipt but they still let me exchange (not return, but I got store credit) which was nice.

I won't bury the lead... I LOVE this product!!!!!! I find that it's the perfect combo of frizz control and styling aid. I have thick, kind of fine, wavy hair, and I live in a very humid climate. I have tried everything under the sun at all price points. I've found, through much trial and error, that anything containing silicone will build up on my hair very quickly, even with thorough washings. I love this product because it has oil instead of silicone... and it has just enough stickiness to function as a styling aid. I've put it on wet hair and dry hair. It is expensive, but the packaging (in a pot with a lid) allows you to get every last bit. Lasts for a long time too. I have literally been searching for this product for 20 years. Now I can stop wasting time and money on products I will eventually give or throw away.

on 4/6/2011 6:22:00 PM

WOOOOW! this is the hair product I`ve been looking for all my life!! it`s so fantastic! I have medium wavy straw-like hair with loads of frizz and dryness. I was unable to leave it open without blowdrying it. not with this product. I apply it all over my hair after showering and let it air-dry and I get shiny, separated, pretty waves that don`t need any more styling. I also smooth it onto dry ends and they get soft and manageble in a second. smells like lemon-pie, I LOVE this!!

on 9/25/2010 8:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I picked this up on a whim - it was the fresh lemony smell that got me, and I have to say this is great styling product for my naturally curly hair! I apply to freshly washed hair and then flip my head upside down and wrap my hair in a microfibre towel while i eat breakfast, get dressed and apply my make up.. I then take off the towel, shake out my hair, give a quick blast to the roots with the blow dryer and I have gorgeous, soft, shiny curls. Sometimes I'll take a bit more King of the Mods and run my hands over any dry spots. I usually have to layer several products to get my hair the way I like it. My only complaint is I do need to use other frizz fighting products on humid days - found that out the hard way and it was not pretty!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this gel. I use it after the shower while my hair is still wet so that when it dries I don't get any flyaways

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have fine, curly hair and this works really well with my hair, it defines my curls without weighing them down. I'm very pleased with it. Plus, it smells gorgeous, I often open the lid just to sniff it!

on 4/21/2010 5:01:00 PM

Great product, fun bright complex lemony smell. I use this as either a blowdry cream or just as a leave in balm when I don't have time to do my hair in the morning. Works great in both situations by reducing frizz and keeping things in control without the feeling of residue or buildup. Great all-around styling product but if you want hold, use another product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

If it's good enough to be named after Vince Noir, it's good enough for anyone. End of story.

on 1/27/2010 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

LOVE this! I use it as a blowdry cream, and as a light hold cream when I leave my hair to dry naturally.

The scent is divine - very fresh and lemony - not too girly for my husband to use, too! (and he does...)

I wish it wasn't in a tub, as it is a little irritating to have to unscrew the cap and stick my fingers in it, but that is the packaging LUSH prefers, so I guess you either deal with it or use something else.

It seems a little expensive, but I think it will last for a while!

Popular Styling Products