Farouk CHI 44 Chi Iron Guard

Farouk CHI 44 Chi Iron Guard
44 Chi Iron Guard

3.2

Water, Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate, SD Alcohol 40-B, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 20, PPG-20 Methyl Glucose Ether, Disodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Silk, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein PG-Propyl Silantriol, Parfum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Methylisothiazolinone, Ceramic.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Having never tried CHI products and being in need of a heat protectant for flat ironing my hair, I picked up a trial size (about $5.79 at CVS). Unfortunately I didn't check here before picking it up, and was disheartened by all the negative reviews.
The positive reviews gave me a little optimism that it would do the job, though, and I tested it out on my bangs.
As one reviewer suggested, I sprayed it into my palm, rubbed my hands together and ran my bangs between my hands to evenly distribute while not getting the hair too saturated.

I instantly got the sizzle effect, and the immediate result was sticky and stiff. I had to go over it with the iron multiple times to get rid of the stiff, sticky effect. I tried spraying it on and combing it through, and got the same effect.
It felt like I might as well be using hairspray as heat protectant.
Even tho it's a sample size, I'll be returning it.

This stuff is awful. I used this to prep my hair prior to using a curling iron. The spray helped curl the hair nicely and gave it good hold. When I brushed my hair out, pieces of hair were breaking off!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Purchased in full size. Doesn't protect from heat, feels as if you have sprayed alcohol in your hair and flat ironed it. Sticky and makes your hair feel and look like straw. Broken hair and frayed ends. Overpriced and bad. I use it as a hairspray. Will not repurchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

My hair felt damaged and the texture changed after using this...the chi serum is 10X better.

I'm honestly shocked that this has so many bad reviews. This is one of the only heat protectants I like. It doesn't have an overwhelming smell. My hair doesn't feel any different with this in. I'm thinking the people who are complaining their hair got crunchy or felt some type of way maybe used too much? Anyways, I completely back what this product does. I have color treated hair that is severely damaged from that, heat styling, and major health problems and medications. I used this product in junction with other products (especially the chi thermal protection lotion) and my hair has drastically improved. This is the one change in my hair routine I have kept constant since I started it so I can tell it's these products helping me keep my hair. I would buy this over and over again. The packaging I also love. No problem at all with the spraying

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I'm so surprised this heat protector has such middling reviews. I have just about the most stubborn, frizzy, prone to dryness and damage hair on the face of the earth and this spray didn't exacerbate any of my "issues".
The price isn't as cheap as Tresemme's heat guard, which is my go-to, but it's not outrageous either. I think I picked this up on clearance for $8. Is it a miracle in a bottle? No. Heat protectants generally have only two jobs- protect the hair and not leave the hair in worse condition than it found it. As far as I can tell, this passes the test.
I sprayed this evenly all over my head then combed it through. The scent is not gross or persistent. It dries quickly and didn't leave my hair crunchy or dry. It seemed to just evaporate. When my hair was straightened, it did get a little wavy once I went outside, but I'm sure that's not this products fault, my hair just doesn't want to stay straight and never has.
I most likely won't repurchase because I have loyalty to Tresemme's heat guard, but I will certainly finish up this product and would definitely consider rebuying this if Tresemme changes their formulation or something like that.

This used to be really popular, but honestly it's terrible and the ingredients aren't that good. There's a lot of alcohol, fragrance, sulfates, and harsh ingredients in it.
This smells like cheap mens cologne, it is hard to work through your hair (dry or wet). Once I spray it in my hair, it dries stiff and crunchy.

It makes my hair dry, brittle, and i swear i have more split ends when i used this instead of other heat protectors
This provides NO hold, NO shine, NO nourishing benefits, etc

It just dries out my hair and leaves it brittle.
This makes my hair less smooth and makes the ends look terrible. No other product gives it this horrible finish

I used to use this heat protector but have since moved on. I would spray 2 sprays onto a brush and brush it through the section of hair to be straightened to distribute it evenly focusing mainly on the ends (since that's what is most susceptible to damage) and working it upwards. I never really had a problem with this, it protected my hair from heat as promised, however after switching I noticed something about my hair that STOPPED happening when I stopped using this... I have long hair and get regular trims every 4-6 weeks. Before I'd go for trim I noticed the ends of my hair were a lighter more orange shade of brown than the rest of my hair and never understood this. The hair was never fried or torched or brittle it was just orange. It drove me crazy! I'd always get the orange trimmed off and it always came back. I started using the kqc flat iron spray and stopped using the 44 iron guard and noticed there was no more orange! I can't say for sure it was this, but at the same time the signs all point to the product being the culprit. For this reason I will never use or repurchase this product again. No more orange hair for me!

on 7/9/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

Eww just no! This spray leaves my hair crunchy and stiff. I cannot attest to its heat protecting abilities as I haven't used it long enough to tell. I am not crazy about the fragrance on this - it's kinda masculine. And the spray seems to come out in a spritz rather than a mist, which makes it difficult to apply all over the hair.

I am just so glad I bought a travel size of this. It's not even worth trying to return to the store. Into the trash it goes!

on 7/31/2015 2:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Overpriced for the amount of things this thing does.

Pros:
- Smells really nice. Just has a really clean scent.
- The spray dispenses just the right amount of product.
- Doesn't run out quickly. After many uses, I still have more than half left.

Cons:
- DRIES OUT HAIR. I've never had this problem with other heat protecting sprays. My ends are so dried out after styling that they are completely stiff. Which is strange because after I wash my hair, my hair goes back to life...........
- If you get the product in your hands, it can get sticky and really annoying

Popular Styling Products