Kuumba Made Amber Paste

Kuumba Made Amber Paste

4.5

labdanum resin

on 5/13/2007 12:05:00 PM

This is a Holy Grail of ambers. The only downside to it is that it is, in fact, a paste and somewhat hard to get at in consequence. It is rich, thick, sweet, brown sugar-y, almost edible it's so delicious smelling. It's very powerful and a tiny amount lasts quite a while. The spice aspect is very subtle -- this is more about vanilla and oppoponax -- but it is there. The resinous quality is pronounced but not sharp. And the price is astounding -- almost nothing. There will never be a better amber and there will be few as good. There is also a Tunisian Amber which is much like the paste only a more liquid consistency. Kuumba Made products are beautifully available in health food stores and hippie/indian boutiques everywhere.

on 1/9/2009 1:08:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I actually didn't, and wouldn't, purchase this, but only because I don't think it works well on me. I think it's a well done amber and if you are an amber junkie I would suggest it. I think it smelled better in the bottle than on my skin. From the bottle it was warm and almost caramel-y. My skin tends to amplify any woody/spicy notes and ambers tend to give me headaches this way because it feels like the scent is clawing its way up my nostrils even when I'm not actively sniffing near where I applied it.

Anyways, the lasting power of this paste is excellent, 8 hours easily from just a couple dabs.

wow this stuff smells AMAZING!!! this is the only fragrance i wear anymore... on me it almost turns to a warm vanilla/amber ...i get compliments on it all the time yet it's not overbearing....awesome stuff!

on 1/23/2009 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a thick, gluey syrup that goes on sticky and smells unbelievable, like raw hunks of perfumer's amber. It is rich, sweet, and heavy, like some impossibly delicious dessert that you can only eat a bite of before it's decadence overload. It has a lot of throw for an oil, or, er... paste, and lasts through a work day. Sinful and dreamy.

This is one of-- if not my absolute-- favorite scent. It is certainly the best amber scent I have encountered. It is a combination of sunny warmth on pine boughs and rich earth, curling up with a good book in a brown leather armchair and sweet incense on a home altar, with a pinch of long, black eyelashes knowingly cast downward for good measure. It is dark and rich and although it is sweet, the sweetness is nothing at all like those weird, fruity body sprays that were all the rage in high school. It is a dark, spicy, grown-up sweetness. Amber involves vanilla, but not in a candy-ish way.

Also, I find that the goo doesn't fling the scent into the air as much as an alcohol-based spray does, but creates a touch more sillage than an oil. So, even though amber itself is a pretty heavy fragrance, this rich goo isn't going to bowl folks over as I walk past.

on 7/16/2009 1:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

holy grail of ambers indeed!! positively intoxicating. pure, mystical, magical tree sap... only the tiniest dab and you'll be smelling divine for 36 hours. serious stuff... this smells as good as any Serge Lutens i can think of. and yet it's <$10? Whole Foods' best kept secret.

update: just had to add this quote from another review on the internet since it sums up how i feel about this so well:

"For a lovely not-really-dupe, $7.99 will buy you, at Whole Foods, Kuumba Made Amber Paste, which will make you drop dead in your tracks and see God."

(courtesy of "chayaruchama" on aromascope.com)

on 8/6/2009 4:00:00 PM

This is a very sexy smell and I get compliments wearing it. Smells not so good on application but after it warms up its a rich spicy long lasting stink. Really cheap. Fantastic bargain.

Edit: Last vial I bought seemed different. Not as nice somehow.
Will try again but if it remains like this I won't buy. It didn't dry down to the sweet sexy smell it had before. Just smelt like horrible cheep resin. Sorry.

on 11/23/2009 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Decadent, pure amber. I find other ambers too edible and candy sweet, but this one is resinous and deep. There's really not much more to say about it. A great bargain at $8 for 1/8 oz.

Also, please note that this scent smells quite different from Tunisian Amber, which is less sweet and has a woodsy, musky base.

on 1/25/2010 3:30:00 AM

This is deep rich and resiny, with a piney undertone. It could be sexy on the right person in the right circumstance but it's not me.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

It's very hot right now, and I can not imagine wearing amber paste. When the leaves begin to change color, and the air smells like crisp coolness and fireplace smoke; I reach for Amber paste. This scent epitomizes autumn! It's sensual, dark, mysterious, rich, and complex. The cold air brings out the best in this scent. The first adjective that pops into my head when I think of Kuumba Made Amber Paste is "Sexy!" In warmer weather, I think this scent would be too heavy. My advice - try this as a fall or winter scent. A little dab is all that you need and it really seems to have excellent sillage.

Popular Fragrances