Lavanila vanilla grapefruit

Lavanila vanilla grapefruit
LaVanila Vanilla Grapefruit (full-size)

I was so looking forward to trying out the Lavanila line. For some reason I thought I would love it since I love gourmand scents like CSP.

Well, what a disappointment. I really hated Pure Vanilla. It smelled like an old bottle of vanilla extract and had no depth. Vanilla Blossom was better but just not interesting enough. Vanilla Coconut seemed promising so I will get a sample and try it later.

Finally Vanilla Grapefruit: I gave it the benefit of the doubt and took a sample home. May be I would be able to make friends with this one over time, I thought.

Nope. This has absolutely no depth once again and smells exactly like an alcoholic. That's right, you read that correctly. People who abuse alcohol, acquire a certain sickly sweet smell that is very peculiar. Being a medical professional, I've smelled this smell too many times and was not happy to be reminded of it.

I am bummed out that I couldn't love Lavanila because the concept is great. Oh well. The search for the perfect summer fragrance continues.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have tried Vanilla/Coconut and Vanilla and enjoyed limited success with them. But I very much enjoyed the fragrance this mixture deployed. A Sephora SA suggested the grapefruit one to me after I had talked about the limited longevity of the other two I had tried. I was hesitant, but took her suggestion and gave this one a try. I was very pleasantly surprised. This one has staying power and a deliciously refreshing summer scent.
A mix of vanilla and grapefruit, I never thought possible. Five hours into my initial spray, I wasn't bored at all. I was still enjoying LaVanilla Grapefruit. It doesn't matter what age you are to enjoy this light, airy fragrance for the summer or spring. When you want something unobtrusive, that has lasting power, yet is still light enough this just might be for you. The notes that stood out for me were lime, patchouli, bergamot and sandalwood. All in a delicious mix. Now this doesn't remind me of anything grapefruit at all. It's just a heavenly, dreamy, warm, inviting, creamy, vanilla. I'm an original Body Shop vanilla person and I adore true vanilla scents that blend well with the right notes. This one does and belies its name. Even tho I have the plain vanilla, I prefer this one called grapefruit. Go figure.
Although its fragrance notes are linear, some of them still stand alone.
They are: Lime, Patchouli, Grapefruit, Heliotrope, Madagascar Vanilla, Bergamot and Sandalwood.

on 4/25/2008 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This fragrance is an oddity for me. I mentioned to the SA that I liked grapefruit notes & she suggested trying this. I loved it when sprayed on a card - lovely balanced mix of citrus & tempered vanilla & took a decant to try for a day or two. On the skin however the grapefruit disappears very quickly to leave a sugary sweet vanilla & nothing else. The drydown is so over the top sickly sugar cookie on me that its bothersome; I'm not fond of foodie scents to start with, & this one is just too much. Don't know if they make a candle of this, but if its more like the scent on the card I'd buy it in a heartbeat - just not getting it anywhere on my skin. If you like sweet vanillas you may like this, but its not quite right for my style.

ETA - so I wear this for a couple of days to use up the decant (I can't bear throwing out scents unless they are scrubbers, & then I'd rather give them away) & boy, do other people (cough:men:cough) like this on me. I may have to try the other scents in this line to find something I like (and they like ;D)

on 12/2/2013 9:43:00 AM

This is one of the nicest feel-good fragrances. On one hand you have the real perfurmes, with all their complexity and sofistication and on the other hand you have these nice fragrances which, without pretending to be equal to their more complex sisters, actually beat some of them on many counts. I can name a very long list of latest commercial releases by big houses which are so much boring, non-descript and such a common soup of fruits and flowers that can't even stir in you half of the comfortable feeling that you have when smelling this one. It's not No 19, or Black, it does not pretend to be any, and it's just there to be worn the same way as your Uggs : they are definitely not the most elegant pair of boots in your closet, but they are damn comfortable and cozy when getting out in a cold winter weekend !

I really like this. I notice that on my sister, the vanilla note seems to be stronger. But on me, it's definitely more citrus smelling. It seems to vary from person to person, so you definitely might want to try it before you order it.

I do like that it's not too sweet. I love vanilla, but sometimes scents with vanilla can come across as really young and too sweet. This is not too young, but not too mature either---and it's not overpowering, so it is a perfect everyday scent. I notice some of the criticism in the reviews is that it's not long lasting. It really was long lasting to me, but maybe I'm just extra sensitive to scents.

I like that the ingredients here are more "friendly" and less chemical----my skin is super sensitive, so I didn't have any problem with my skin reacting badly to it.

I've had this scent in my collection for a couple of years and eventually, I always come back to it. This is essentially two different perfumes wrapped into one sleek little package. Of course, I realize that scents are constructed of base notes, mid-notes, and top notes, and transform throughout wear, however, this fragrance really changes from a citrusy, fruity-yet-warm composition, into a smoky, creamy vanilla, with no in-between moments of transformation.

The first half-hour or so on my skin is when this scent is most beautiful, most addictive, and most unique. The lime is very present here, and mixed with a splash of grapefruit and laid out on a warm base of vanilla and cedarwood, it's like nothing I've ever smelled before. Even, expertly-blended, intoxicating. As it dries down, it really loses the citrusy feel and becomes very creamy, with a touch of smokiness. Think birthday-cake-candle smoke, not the campfire smoke of say, Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. If you've tried other scents in the LaVanila line, you'll find the drydown quite similar to the drydown of their Pure Vanilla scent - once the patchouli has worn off.

Overall, this remains an HG fragrance, though I wear it mostly for the first half hour of its sillage. The dry-down is still lovely, though far less original than the opening, still - definitely not unpleasant. I seemed to get far more compliments while wearing Pure Vanilla (mostly from men), and I think that's because it's a big stronger and more bourban than Vanilla Grapefruit, which smells less like the actual vanilla extract that goes into a cake and more like the finished product.

Everyone will react differently to Vanilla Grapefruit and I recommend spraying it on the skin and allowing it to go from citrusy to sweet before making a purchase. Gourmand lovers may find the drydown most appealing, but those who prefer light, citrusy scents may be disappointed with what remains after the first moments of wear.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's a favorite of mine in the Spring and Summer. You absolutely cannot go wrong with this one, it smells incredible. It's not the most complex of the brand, but it's good. Once the citrus wears down you get a real vanilla scent, and ALL of this line has a real vanilla scent. Nothing is fake or chemical smelling. While I haven't bought full bottles, the rollerballs give you a good amount of perfume.

The Lavanila's can be simplified like this-

Grapefruit is the fresh every day vanilla, but the base is only vanilla once the citrus wears down. Grapefruit, sandalwood, lime, and vanilla.

Pure Vanilla is the sensual fragrance, and it's completely smooth and everything included besides the vanilla, like tonka bean, compliments the vanillas.

Vanilla Blossom.. discontinued? But it was a fresh spring floral vanilla, and reminded me of lime and vanilla- like an iced drink.

Vanilla Coconut- slightly sweet coconut and vanilla. Exotic in a beachy way. With coconut, tiare flower, and vanilla.

Lavender Vanilla- Not as complex as the grapefruit or pure vanillas. It's clean, comforting, and relaxed. With Spanish lavender, rose absolute, violet leaf, and Madagascar vanilla.

on 2/19/2010 3:39:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my everyday running errands, go to gym, supermarket, cafe fragrance. I have super allergies an a ridiculous nose. I smell things no one notices and when they do they look at me like there's something wrong and ask me how did you smell that before. Well enough of that what makes this my fav is it doesn't irritate me. Sometimes I can't wear some of my other fav's because my allergies are bugging me and some scents are just to much when I'm already irritated. But Lavanilla grapfruit never ever aggravates my allergies. I get nothing but compliments when I wear it and its so fresh clean and fun. Its honestly the cheapest perfume that I own but its one of my favorites and so long as they make it I'll have it. All you smell is a soft sweet but not sickly fruity vanilla.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this perfume. I decided to try it out after watching a Sephora Beauty hour on HSN. Since it was the small roll-on, and it was much less than the $56 for the regular size bottle, I figured that it wouldn't hurt to try it. I'M SO HAPPY I DID!! One of the things I miss most is not being able to wear perfume any longer (chemical sensitivity). Many of the "natural" perfume oils caused me grief as well. Not only do I love the smell of this product but I haven't had any adverse reactions to it!! As for the smell, it has the sweetness of grapefruit but the smoothness of vanilla. If you're familiar with The Body Shop's Vanilla products, imagine this rich smooth smell (make's me want a vanilla latte) with the sweet smell of a ruby red grapefruit. If you're a person who craves more of a floral scent then this may not be the item for you. If you're a person who enjoys the smell of citrus, vanilla, mild sandlewood (think cruise to islands type of smells) then you will like this item. I'm def planning on sampling the other scents. I really hope they add more to the line.EDIT: My friend liked the way this smelled on me so she decided to get one herself. IT DOES NOT SMELL THE SAME ON HER!! It's the weirdest thing. I'm inclined to believe that body chemistry plays a HUGH part in how this smells on people. On me it smells identical to the way it smells from the bottle. On her, it only smells like vanilla! No grapefruit at all! I don't know if it has to do with our diets or what (she's a smoker and drinks and eats EVERYTHING/ANYTHING. I'm the complete opposite). This is definitely one that I would suggest people try out for a couple of days first.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This scent is very interesting. It reminds me a bit of Shalimar for some reason, but much sweeter.

I know that's strange. Probably the Bergamot and Vanilla combo.
Anyway. LAVANILA Vanilla Grapefruit starts out with quite a bit of sweet grapefruit when first applied; the vanilla kicks in rather quickly, giving way to a not overly complex, but simply beautiful, scent.

It is all at once a thick, sweet, citrus, and gourmand vanilla.
My husband rather liked it, and I, not normally being a big fan of grapefruit, am surprised that I think this is going to be a favourite eventually. It only gets 4 lippies for now, but I could see this going up to 5 very soon. We'll see.
Actual notes are:
Grapefruit, Bergamot, Lime, Orange, Cedarwood, Heliotrope, Madagascar Vanilla.
The texture is slightly oily(the rather impressive list of ingredients, like plum, goji berry, and olive oils explain this), but dries fast. Lasting power is excellent.
The scent itself is soothing, relaxing; the effect being not a vibrant citrus, but a sweetened, smoky vanilla.

edited on 11/30/2007:

This has become one of my all-time favourites. I never get tired of this one, and it's a perfect bedtime scent, as well.

My husband is in love with this scent, and so am I.

I can't even count the number of compliments I've gotten(from strangers, even!) on this scent.
In addition, the staying power on this is crazy long. I haven't tried the spray yet, but the roll-on lasts ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day long. If I wear it at night, it's still there in the morning, too.

I can't get enough of this, and think this may be THE ONE. I can't believe I'm saying that, as I am a perfume/b&b junkie - but this is quite probably my HG signature fragrance. And to think, when I bought the roll-on, on a whim, from Sephora, I didn't even think I'd like it! LOL! continued >>

Popular Fragrances