The Body Shop Super Volume Mascara

The Body Shop Super Volume Mascara
Super Volume Mascara

3.2

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Terrible product. Just terrible! My eyelashes became my enemy when I was wearing it! The top ones got so sticky and clumpy and ragged that they stuck like Velcro to the bottoms ones ( where I don't even wear mascara) and I had to actually force my eyes back open every time I blinked! Awful day at work because if it! Gave away straight away and vowed never to return to it...

on 10/10/2011 8:04:00 PM

Won't buy this again. Sure it's reasonably priced, but it doesn't dry for some reason. So it ends up being very smudgy.

on 8/24/2013 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

My lashes are actually pretty long, so I was content with purchasing this mascara and knowing that it'd be strictly for volume. However, after trying this out, I must say that I don't think it will find its way into my makeup bag again.

Firstly, the formula is terribly wet. Not that I'd like a dry formula (you can hear those scraping against your eyelashes when applying), but I'd also not like to have to wait 9 minutes after applying 2 coats. This depends on your preference as a person, but I didn't enjoy the extra drying time.

Second, the formula's also quite smudgy. It seemed to be prone to sticking everywhere over the eyelid and under-eye area, and it took 3-4 Q-Tips to remove all of the jet-black streaks. I can't imagine using this mascara in the case of a more formal occasion (where eyeshadow, liner and mascara might be used- I use liner and mascara only for everyday), as applying this after shadow and liner would ruin all of your previous work.

Third, I disliked the brush shape immensely. I've never seen anything quite like it, but it allowed for uneven and clumpy application that left me looking like I'd dipped my made-up face in water. The brush itself has a pattern of long bristles and short bristles, which was very inconvenient for my lashes.

Did the formula do what it said? Somewhat. My lashes DID have some volume, but the clumpiness, streakiness, brush shape and drying time made for an unhappy woman with mediocre lashes and $15 less in her pocket.

My friend gave this to me went she got it free with a magazine-its roughly half the price of the mascaras I usually buy- and for that price its not a too bad product. The brush is unusually thin and long for a volumizing mascara but its nice and moist to apply-with only the slightest bit of smudging-and is easy to layer. However, I don't feel this product lives-up to the 'super volume mascara' (words that always excite me) name and is in fact much more of a low key daytime mascara. Also, this mascara lacks the glam factor. I still much prefer my favourite GA 'Eyes to Kill Excess' mascara both in the packaging and the results of the product. Love The Body Shop, but not this mascara.

Was excited when I first got this product, but when I wore it, I noticed it didn't give me 'super volume' nor did it lengthen very well. It also tends to smude towards the end of the day. The formula is not very good, and I would not recommend buying it at all. It was a huge dissapointment.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

It's great as a daytime mascara, it lengthens and volumises well however it just isn't what I'm looking for. It smudges easily throughout the day, which is a huge problem. It does volumise but not as much as I would like. If you want a natural mascara get this but if you want something dramatic don't get it. The lengthening properties are fabulous however and separates perfectly with no clumps. However, not the mascara for me unfortunately!

on 2/6/2011 8:26:00 AM

I've been wearing this mascara for some time now and I have to say that it's a good mascara. However, it's not one of the best I've tried, it doesn't wow me. It is lacking in the volume-department. I wish it made the lashes a bit fuller. On the plus side it's easy to take off, doesn't irritate the eyes and provides good length. Also the staying power is very good and it doesn't smudge. A nice everyday mascara but lacks that little extra necessary in order for me to consider it a really good mascara. I am unsure whether I'd repurchase it or not.

on 4/21/2009 9:12:00 PM

personally, it gave me too much length and not enough volume

I have really long lashes, so anything that has more lengthening than thickening just makes my eyes look really weird

on 7/6/2008 9:30:00 AM

I like this mascara. Its not clumpy at all and gives a nice look, but nothing amazingly special. As far as price its not as expensive as benefit etc but more expensive than something like maybelline, so its about mid-range. I think my main complaint would have to be the price, because it doesnt do anything special to your eyelashes, but does have a nice effect. I bought this after recieving a free sample, which I believe actually had a better brush than this as it gave a more dramatic effect. Good for everyday use but not if you're looking for any fantastic effects.

on 3/19/2008 4:39:00 PM

EDIT 2 - it dried a bit after a few weeks and after that it was fine. If you end up with this problem I guess let it sit open a couple of hours.
3 is my final verdict... though want to give more because I really hate animal testing and haven't found a replacement for this.

EDIT - I got a new one of these and after a few weeks of getting brown-ish shadows under my eyes, I'm not happy with it. Maybe I got a bad batch, they didn't used to be this bad... But I'm off searching for a new not animal tested mascara.

First off this mascara is $12 in the U.S., not $24! TBS does tend to be more expensive in Sweden for some reason. I stick with the products I find good from them because they are one of few companies I know tests neither ingredients nor products on animals, and I love their work with Community Trade! I hope L'oreal keeps it up!
This mascara has been a staple for me for years. I haven't used too many others so I can't compare too well - it's a lot better than really cheap drug store brands I've tried, that's it. When it comes to mascara I've found (by sampling in stores, etc) that when you come up to a certain decent quality they all plateau out. It's all in the application and having the self discipline to throw it out every 3-4 months. In that way it's better to buy a decent lower priced one - making it a little easier to throw it out when it starts clumping on you!

(Application tip I love - using a credit card behind the brush when you apply like in this video:

at 05.20 if you don't want to see the whole video - but her eye makeup tutorials are really amazing!)