Crystal Crystal Body Deodorant Stick

Crystal Crystal Body Deodorant Stick
Crystal Body Deodorant Stick

ammonium salts (natural mineral salts). 9.14.09

on 8/12/2017 12:36:00 AM

Works. This leaves a layer of bacteria fighting power than cannot be felt. This product is not meant to stop sweating but is meant to control the levels of bacteria that grow and make humans smell unbearable. I may smell a bit a the end of the day but it is nothing compared to how I smell when I have tried other natural deodorants that have multiple ingredients that mix with my sweat and bacteria and make me smell worse than if I applied nothing.

As an alternative to this product, I now buy 'alum' from East Indian stores and wet them and use them the same way. They are not polished and are mined 'as is' so it takes a while to get them smooth so they are used with that in mind.

on 8/5/2017 4:32:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Here's the secret to this working for me: stop washing your pits with soap.

I know, I know. Counter-intuitive. Goes against everything that ought to be correct. But the way crystal deos work is by making your pH more acidic, and if you lather up with soap, you're making the skin basic again. When I've had a super long, sweaty day, I might hit my pits with a little bit of pH balanced body wash, but nothing more than a quick swipe. Alternately, I rub in fresh lemon juice 10-15 minutes before showering it off. I've tried and tested, and every single time this deo ''failed'' was when I'd used soap in the shower. Shaving gel seems to be ok.

After you've quit antiperspirant, you don't have that yucky buildup under your arms that has to be scrubbed away, so doing it like this is less horrifying than you might think. Treat baked-in odors in your clothes with an overnight vinegar soak, and you're set for this stuff to work beautifully.

BTW, if it breaks, collect the shards and dissolve them in water. Ta-da, you now have crystal deodorant spray, and at a much cheaper price than the ones sold by the same company.

on 7/21/2017 11:11:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Wow. I did not actually expect this to work.

Background: Like a lot of people that read the review on this product, I was hesitant to use aluminum deodorants, so wanted to try something else. (After some research, turns out the ingredient is actually not that bad. My national cancer organization actually approves of it so a lot is just scare mongering, but I digress.) I tried a lot of aluminum-free deodorants. Sticks, sprays, DIY recipes, natural deodorants from Etsy... They were all meh. They either didn't work at all (The Body Shop, Lavanila, Lush), or they DID work, but left me with a horrible rash (looking at you, Schmidt's and everything containing baking soda).

So, my expectations weren't high, or any at all. But I'm pleasantly surprised! This stuff keeps me free from smells ALL DAY, and that's pretty something! It doesn't stop me from sweating, but I didn't expect it too, and I don't mind sweating as is.

**HOWEVER, this product does not come without a manual (the only reason I took 1 lippie off).**
1. Your armpits need to be 100% clean before using. This is not a deodorant you can "layer". Bacteria are the cause of smells, so if they are still there, this product won't be effective.
2. The KEY to get this to work: apply A LOT. Wet your (clean!) armpits, and go ham. I'm talking 50 swipes per armpit, until your skin feels dry and it barely glides over your skin. Only if I do that, this will work.
3. You need to keep the deodorant itself clean. If it smells a bit off, clean that mofo (just some water will do).

I still don't completely dare to rely on just this on really intensive days. My job demands a lot physically, so I still use an aluminum-based deodorant on workdays - this might be paranoia though as I work in customer service and smelling fresh is HUGE for me. But I'm sure I still won't smell terrible if I only used this. I'm still very comfortable with using just this on very hot days in my spare time.

All in all, what I love about this:
- Actually works! (if you know how to use it)
- Lasts a very long time --> cost-effective
- Better for the environment
- Not tested on animals
- Doesn't sting after shaving my armpits
- Fragrance-free so I can use any perfume with it
- No irritation whatsoever
- Doesn't leave residue
- Just one ingredient so it's great for sensitive people/allergies
- Whether aluminum is actually harmful or not, you'll be on the safe side either way

Cons:
- You have to know how to use it
- Might not be enough on hectic days
- Doesn't leave you super fresh like a scented product would. It just leaves your skin smelling like... skin. No sweat, no perfume, just skin. (I actually like this aspect though)

*****Tl;dr: 100% recommend and totally worth it if you want to put in the work!

on 5/22/2017 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I've bought this a few times and have gone back and forth with it. It's easy to use, in my opinion, just wet it and put it on like you would a normal one. Yes, sometimes you get drips on your body if you're doing it when you aren't straight from the shower, but that parts not so bad. What really sucks about this is the packaging. It falls out, it breaks apart, the product breaks, etc. I've bought it a few times and I've never used one up, barely even a noticeable dent.

As far as how it works, I like that it's unscented. I can't stand 'girl' smells so I was using Old Spice for a long time. But sometimes that's just too powerful and manly and just too much. Other natural ones like Tom's made me smell worse... So I went back to this. I feel like this does stop the smell which is something, but I do still "sweat" and notice the wetness. Maybe that's supposed to be healthier for your body, idk, but if you don't want any wetness, be forewarned that I still do sweat with this, it just doesn't stink. I personally don't mind sweating a little since I live in the desert and love the heat, so it really depends on you.

I like how it doesn't leave residue, even 'invisible' deodorants leave and you can feel it when you shower and have to scrub it off. This is something I just kinda have in my stash, even though I was using Ban and Old Spice for the past few years. They say it lasts a year, I suppose with constant use, but I find they last forever. I guess I'd get it again, but I like having a regular deodorant around too.

Update: I just added a regular deodorant back, and it wasn't stopping smells as much as this does, so I use this first with an invisible solid stick on top. That seems to be better.

on 8/3/2017 4:02:00 PM

What in the holy heck - this did nothing.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Living on an island where it is always warm, sometimes I sweat. I will not use anything that is not all natural or anything that I cannot pronounce in the ingredients.I bought this natural crystal stick- but honestly- its kind of a pain to use. first of all, the crystal became loose and fell out almost immediately after using. so I had to remove it and wet it to put it on- then store it in the case. not very good packaging. It does work though if you can get past the packaging. Also i accidentally dropped it- being that you have to wet it first, and it got slippery- so once it fell and cracked, the crystal salt is very sharp. I am not going to give up- because it is natural and it does work.

on 5/10/2017 5:46:00 PM

I had been looking for a natural deodorant as I no longer wanted to use anything with aluminium in. I sceptically purchased this in the travel size and was surprised that it actually works very well. You just have to wet the tip of the stick and apply it all around your underarm area for a good 10 seconds each side. It doesn't feel like you are actually applying anything, but over the months I have been using this, I have never once been able to smell any body odour. This works better than any of the shop branded deodorants I have ever purchased, and is also a lot safer.

on 4/29/2017 10:29:00 PM

by far the best deo I've use. just a lil bit impractical coz it has to be moistened first, but the rest is just awesome. invisible and long last. natural ingredient and cheap if u know where to buy it. no residue on clothes whatsoever.hg!

on 3/31/2017 2:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This deodorant does its job pretty well, it does not keep me from sweating and I still sometimes have my natural odor which is good.
I bought the travel size one and it last almost 6 months! I used mine maybe like 2-3 times a day. Good money!
I would definitely repurchase it again but in another type/form not the stick one. The ball eventually will be smaller than its package so it's easily fall down.

on 5/12/2017 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I've been trying to detox my deodorant and go fragrance free, so this was one of the first aluminum and fragrance free deodorants I had ever tried. Despite seeing all the positive reviews, this product was very disappointing.

About me: I live in Nevada, which has intense but dry summers. However, I am not prone to heavy sweating or odors compared to most people. I started using this deodorant in the winter to "detox" my underarms, so I could give a fair judgement in the summer. (When you switch to natural deodorants, it's important for your body to adjust to the less harmful/harsh chemicals for several months.)

Application: Awful. Just awful. You have to spray water on the crystal to apply it. I shave my underarms regularly and always put on deodorant after I shower, like most people. The crystal just basically a salt rock, so when you apply it to newly shaved underarms, IT BURNS!! I have a gentle razor, yet this stung like salt in a wound.

Longevity: None. I tried so many ways to make this work. Thick layers, thin layers, wetting the product, wetting my underarms, waiting 10-20 minutes before getting dressed, etc. It never lasted more than 2 hrs even in the winter. Even if I didn't mind reapplying, it's too bulky on the go and too cumbersome in application to be travel friendly.

Packaging: Cheap and annoying. There's a screw-off lid that you wouldn't expect (or want) in a solid deodorant. The twist-up bottom broke right away and the product kept sliding down.

Overall, this did not work for me even though I sweat very little. I doubt this product could appeal to anyone based on that fact. Complete 0. I'll end this by asking that if anyone has any recommendations for fragrance-free, organic deodorants that actually work, please let me know.