Comptoir Sud Pacifique Amour de Cacao

3.3

on 6/27/2013 12:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Lovely fragrance, and I agree with other reviewers in that smells almost like Serendipitous (another fragrance I love). A chocolatey/vanilla fragrance with a hint of citrus. It smells like cookies/chocolate cake/baked goods on me, so if you like foody/gourmand fragrances, you'll probably like this one (as long as it works with your chemistry). It's not overpowering, which is good (some perfumes give me a headache). At first, you can smell the citrus, but then after the dry down the citrus fades into the background (can still smell it though) and you're left with the chocolate-vanilla scent. It has this slight smell of burnt sugar/caramel also which i absolutely love (this aspect reminds me of Pink Sugar). The only downside to this (and it's a pretty insignificant downside) is that i'm not a fan of the bottle, as mine tends to leak a little every time i spritz it (that may just be my bottle), and it's hard to see how much perfume you have left (unless you hold it up to a light, then you can see). One of the best aspects is that it has great staying power (on me at least), once i wore it all day and even showered and could still smell it, or i can put it on during one day, go to bed and wake up and still smell it!

on 11/9/2008 7:30:00 PM

I love food scents, especially chocolate. Unfortunately, this is very strong, overwhelming and cloying for me. Even in very tiny amounts, it makes me nauseous and headachey.

I found a much more enjoyable chocolate scent for myself that smells like a truer chocolate with a hint of spices and citrus, from Matusushima, Chocolate Mat.

It's also reasonably priced, and the bottle's very cool!

on 2/19/2008 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!! That's the fragrance that springs to mind when I spray Amour de Cacao. It really does smell precisely like Cocoa Puffs (Cocoa Pebbles, Cocoa Krispies - substitute any of these as necessary). Unfortunately, I don't share the sentiment! It is not a bad scent, but I suppose I like my chocolates darker, and in my mouth - not my nose! The chocolate notes in Amour de Cacao are light and definitely of the milk chocolate variety. There is a hefty dose of vanilla here as well, which I think improves this scent but not enough to make it really interesting to me. It's inoffensive, but not exciting. I have been wearing it to bed, but should probably swap it or just give it away.

I picked up a relatively travel spray of this at Sephora. I'm glad I don't have MORE of it! The aluminum bottle is a PLUS to me in a functional sense. I think the opaque material serves very well to protect the scent from light. I do think Comptoir Sud Pacifique could do a better job making the bottle look prettier though.

All in all, not good for me. However, if you're looking for a light milk chocolate scent with vanilla, this might be for you. HTH someone! continued >>

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I wish I could describe my disappointment in one word but that's impossible for me. Suffice to say I just bought myself a bottle of this fragrance today and expected all these wonderful notes that everyone keeps talking about. Not only did I not detect even the slightest scent of chocolate but there were absolutely no orange notes whatsoever. In fact all I get from this scent is a muted coconut meets dreary almonds that have been left out too long. I don't get it? I was willing to forgive the ridiculous air freshener like tin cans these fragrances come in if they lived up to their hype but this was a complete disappointment (and considering that a 3.3 ounce can retails for $80.00 one would think they could spring for glass instead of aluminum)! The thing I noticed most of all is that the scent is so light and seems to dissipate very quickly! No lasting power at all! I'm not so sure I want to even bother with the rest of this line. I got the Vanille Abricot yesterday and wasn't too thrilled with that one either but this was a total miss for me.

on 12/18/2007 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I was also disappointed with this one and ended up using as a room smell for the toilet.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Once again, I find myself in the minority. This fragrance is just over the top. There is no way I could stand myself, or anyone else for that matter, wearing this all day. Ugh.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

I love this stuff. I wear it almost daily layered with other things. I sprayed it in a department store as I was leaving. A man walking by said, "You smell great!" I turned right around and purchased it. Great soft calm scent.

on 10/27/2006 6:43:00 PM

My first review! OK I don't own Amour de Cacao but I want to. Anytime I pass a Sephora and I have the time, I walk in, spray this on me and leave. Well, usually actually what I do is I spray Amour de Cacao, and then I spray Vanille Extreme on top of it. Then I leave. This is how I came to love this fragrance. One day when I had free time, I went to Sephora and took about 30 little card-sticks and sprayed each of them with a fragrance in the store. I wrote the names of the fragrance on the stick-part. Then I went home and gave myself a fragrance test. I smelled them all without looking at the names. Of course I had to take a lot of breaks to air out my nose. Let's just say I wasn't dating much at that time in my life. Yes, this is what I did with my Sat. nite. But I did have lots of fun. Finally I got it down to my top 5. And then to my #1. And it turned out to be Amour de Cacao. At that time Vanille Extreme did not exist, so I would spray a different Vanille on top of the ...Cacao. But now I spray this one. BTW, the others in my top 5 turned out to be three more from Comptoir (Vanille Abricot, Vanille Coco (coconut, not cocoa) and Lait Sucre (Sugar Milk). The fifth one was from another line, and the fragrance was called Sex on the Beach (I'm not sure if it was the original or the orange version).

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. I tried this before Aquolina's Chocolovers, and while I prefer the depth of Chocolovers with its orange tang...CSP's Amour de Cacao is a good runner-up in the pure chocolate sweepstakes. I prefer to use this as a layering fragrance, as it is a little weak on its own. A yummy cocoa powder scent, similiar to Cocoa Puffs or Count Chocula cereal (or more likely, the sugared choc milk left in the bowl) but fairly one dimensional. It doesn't last incredibly long, but I find it nice layered with the Angel knock-off I've been wearing ("Radiant" by Mystic Impressions) which bumps up the psuedo-Angel's foodie-ness factor. If you want real "fudge shoppe" chocolate-orange truffle sweetness, try Chocolovers; if you want an elegant musk with chocolately overtones, it's mark. Hollywood Pink. But if what you seek is to strictly feed your Love of Cocoa...Amour de Cacao is the choice du jour. Chocolate lovers unite! continued >>

on 8/7/2006 9:07:00 AM

This scent was such a surprise to me. I had tried it previously in Sephora and thought...nah...walked away. Then I read all of these wonderful reviews for this scent and asked my SIL to get me a sample when she went to the store the next time. I applied some and thought...well....hmmm....let's see. Then I wore it last night and really liked the soft choc scent wafting about me. This morning I applied some after my shower and went down for coffee etc. My husband followed down the steps a couple of minutes later and said that it smelled so good upstairs...what WAS I wearing? (He said it was almondy...not sure what he smelled ...only that he liked it.) When I told him what it was he smiled and said he thought he might like it. I will use up my sample and most likely purchase a bottle. *I have the new re-release of Amande coming in the mail so I will see what I think of that scent first...perhaps I will be adding both to my growing CSP collection. Though you do get the "coco-puffs" scent from this ...it is more that scent trail about you like a soft and fluffy cloud that sells me on this one. Actually makes me feel good...and makes my mouth water! giggle.

Popular Fragrances