Alpha Hydrox 10% Enhanced Cream

Alpha Hydrox 10% Enhanced Cream

4.2

Water, Glycolic Acid, Ammonium Hydroxide, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, C12 15 Alkyl Benzoate, Stearic Acid, PEG 40 Stearate, Cyclomethicone, Polyacrylamide, C13 14 Isoparaffin, Laureth 7, Glyceryl Dilaurate, Polysorbate 60, Xanthan Gum, Sorbic Acid, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Imidazolidinyl Urea, BHT*2015Ingredients-Water, Glycolic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate-PEG-100 Stearate, Ammonium Hydroxide, Cetyl Alcohol, Propylene Glyco, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Stearic Acid, PEG-40 Stearate, Cyclomethicone, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Glyceryl dilaurate, Polysorbate 60,Xanthan Gum, Sorbic Acid, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Imidazolidinyl Urea,BHT

on 5/26/2016 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

As others have said, this does smell chemically. I had an good experience with this for a while. I experienced slight burning which calmed initially and I could even wear it overnight. This suprised me, I do tend to have sensitive, oily, reactive skin but I saw results that you would normally see from an AHA, brighter complexion, smoother skin, less skin texture. I was happy with it for a time but recently every time I apply this to my skin, within 8 minutes I will have a burning bright pink face.

I don't know if this product is stable - it's in a big wonky jar package. It smells industrial. I don't use any other acids or exfoliants and nothing has changed severely in my routine so I don't know why it makes my face so enraged now. At first I thought I was just unusually sensitive so I gave it another shot and the same awful irritation happened, which then led to extreme sensitivity and a nasty breakout with whiteheads. I think this is just too harsh for my skin and it disrupts my skins natural balance and moisture barrier.

I'm confused as to why it worked well for a couple of months and now my skin is rebelling. I have also previously used Paulas choice 10% aha weekly treatments with no irritation ever. Alpha Hydrox' formula is a lot less elegant but they both contain 10% glycolic acid so I'm kind of stumped but I will not submit my skin to this again. There are definitely better products out there for a little more money. Don't skimp and burn.

on 1/20/2016 10:40:00 AM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

This is an okay cream for me. I feel like it does a good job exfoliating my skin, but I can't use it very often because if I'm not very careful, it causes sensitivity and increased redness. Used with just moisturizer every other day or every three days, it makes my skin softer and does well at exfoliating it. I cannot, however, use it within 24 hours of even a fairly weak retinol product. If I use it on the same day as retinol, my skin turns into a red, stinging hellscape. Given the limitations, I won't repurchase this one. I think it's a good value, though, if you have more tolerant skin.

To Read all 220 Reviews, Login or Join

on 1/17/2016 9:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is an HG status night cream for me. Last year, I had a period of breaking out constantly (which is very, very rare for me. I had just tried a new face regimen and it just wasn't working for me), and I started using this cream. I stopped breaking out right away, and it helped to clear up the marks quickly. Marks stay on me for quite some time, but this helps get rid of any random pimples I get during that time of month.It makes them go away quickly. Unfortunately I do scar easily from the pimples I do get and although this lightens them drastically, it does not completely get rid of the remaining mark. This is one night cream that I have bought multiple times, I love it that much. My only complaint is that it smells awful. I've used it for a full year now and have to say my skin has been fantastic in this period. YOu do need to use suncreen if you wear it out. I just use it at night and wash it off the next morning. I didnt have any problems personally with redness, purging, itching, or flaking, and I have strange combination skin that is somehow dry, oily, and normal all at once. I would recommend it!

on 1/14/2016 1:01:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

I ran across this product in 2007 at a local Walgreen's. I actually was stocked up with a pretty good arsenal of expensive serums and creams due to have working at a Bare Minerals boutique and living with my best friend who had crazy loads of Ester Lauder samples from GWP. But I was still looking for the HG for brown spots and acne (red spots).

I took it home for I believe, $7.99. It was a huge tub! I almost didn't try it. But when I did and it stung, I knew there was something to it. I stuck with it and I am still using it today.

It faded almost all of my acne scars, really! I'd like to tell you it took away my brown spots. It did fade them, they look better but it did not completely take them away. It also helped my acne. You should know, though, that initially you may break out first. Then it will stop your acne from flaring up.

If your looking at this product for wrinkles, it does help minimize fine lines, especially around the lips and forehead.

You HAVE to wear sunscreen while using this or you will wrinkle more!!!!!

I hope this helped. Stay beautiful!

on 1/12/2016 8:05:00 PM

This line of products is fantastic. This cream really helps my acne a lot! Nothing that I have ever bought from a store helped this much, not even any of those fancy crazy expensive masks and serums. My acne has decreased a lot since using this, I'm excited to try more products from this line.

on 10/16/2014 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I used this stuff religiously for years. It was great at keeping my body acne away, I never thought the burning feeling was a bad thing (I have had professional glycolic peels and they sting a bit). Well recently I decided to go cruelty free and was disappointed to find out that this product is not cruelty free. So I was on the search for a new glycolic lotion for my body acne. I found Beauty Without Cruelty has a compatible and comparable product and I bought it from Amazon. The first time I used it I realized right away that it had no stinging feeling. Even my husband who rubs it on my back said that the BWC stuff didn't burn like this and he liked the smell better. So what am I getting at? BWC works just as well as this stuff and doesn't burn. IDK what to think about that, but I won't be repurchasing.

on 10/13/2014 5:10:00 PM

This product contains several ingredients that may be derived from animal or synthetic sources, but customer service for the company (Neoteric Cosmetics 800-552-5742 / 303-373-4860) stated that they have no way to determine the sources of the ingredients.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

This product is pretty good. I use it every night when I am not doing peels (I am into peels right now). I wish it was a little stronger though maybe 15% or more. My skin handles acids pretty well and this one doesn't burn or tingle at all.

Never has broken me out at all and I am very acne prone. I wish it was not in a tub but instead in a pump bottle and the price is great!

Will repurchase.

on 4/24/2014 11:10:00 AM

This AHA lotion is a must have for my acne prone skin. My skin always suffers when I get lazy and stop using it. It keeps my skin Nicely exfoliated so I never get clogged pores and pimples. Sounds crazy doesn't it!? A little bit goes a long way and you don't need to use a lot to see results! I use this lotion in the morning after toning my skin with rose water. I also apply a broad spectrum SPF on top to protect my skin. I'm currently using Cetaphil's SPF because it goes on matte so it helps with the shine. I highly recommend this one, but whichever AHA you purchase always start slow! Aha's can cause a little stinging to sensitive skin so build your tolerance for happy healthy skin!

I tried to give this a decent chance, but it just didn't work for me. I had been using the Walgreens brand 8% AHA cream with great results and decided to upgrade to this product. It broke me out pretty badly and aggravated my skin like crazy. I had to stop using it. I'm not sure if it's my skin not tolerating the 10% but I would never use it again nor recommend it. It's going up for swap!