Essie Sole Mate

Essie Sole Mate
Sole Mate

3.8

on 3/13/2013 2:46:00 AM

Deep Reds and Burgundies are my favorite nail colors for fall/winter every year so I own a fair collection. I love the plum undertones that Sole Mate has and make it distinct to the other deep reds I own. I also like the fact that it lasts for 3-4 days at least (with topcoat) with no chipping on the ends like China Glaze does.

What I don't like at all is how streaky it is and how small the brush is, making it difficult to apply evenly. The first coat is transparent and blotchy. The second coat almost gets the job done, but not completely. It probably needs 3 coats to make it perfect, but with 3 coats the color is so dark, it's seems close to black when indoors. Since it's so streaky, it takes a lot of time and attention to detail in the first place if you want to do a good, clean job (like another reviewer mentions below, it tends to bleed a lot too, meaning you have to do a VERY good job of cleaning/removing cutticles before applying. In fact, it's such a bother, that despite the gorgeous color, it's one of my least used polishes.

All in all, a very nice color but made cumbersome to use by its streaky nature. If only the brush was like OPI's, it'd gain 2 more stars from me. As it is, I won't repurchase when it's finished. Oh, and 1 year after I got it, it still needs no thinning; I guess that's a plus.

A gorgeous vamp color..i love Chanel vamp but this is darker. This goes on and doesn't chip. I love it on my toes as well. I would say this is a true dark plummy brown shade. I love Essie polish!

on 9/26/2008 4:18:00 PM

Until recently, I was always a "Ballet Slippers" kind of girl, going for the classic, sophisticated pale shade on short squared nails, both for hands and feet. One day, I decided to "take the plunge" and go for for a dark shade, looking for the "vampy yet sophisticated" look. Sole Mate is just perfect, and has gotten me out of my pale nail rut! It's a chic burgundy shade, but instead of the wine undertones in many similar shades, Sole Mate has this fantastic purple undertone. It looks fantastic with anything you would wear-- like a dark neutral, IMO. I like it year-round, but it definitely makes a fabulous fall/winter shade! It only takes two coats to get the color in the bottle, which is great. I have very pale, neutral toned skin (lighter than NC/W 15), and I like the contrast between myself and the polish, though it doesn't look goth or anything. The wear is pretty good (about 3-4 days) until a chip typically appears (YMMV). I take my own bottle with me now to the nail salon, that's how much I love it! Give this a try! Will definitely repurchase.

I am loving this so far - maybe the best Essie I've tried yet for cover and durability. And WHAT a gorgeous shade - it is mostly a creme (think Lincoln Park After Dark with a touch more red in it) but especially after putting topcoat on it I could see sparkles in it. It did cover my nails after one coat but it was a bit streaky, it really needed the two coats to be as lovely as it is now. Even though it's a vampy shade, it makes me feel very happy and spring-y. :)

on 9/14/2005 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I was a little leery about getting this because it's similar to OPI's Lincoln Park After Dark, which just looks black on me and is difficult to work with. I'm glad I got this though. It's a cool-toned, blackened plum creme. Unlike my experience with LPAD, Sole Mate doesn't get goopy during application. Two thin coats gives me shiny, super dark plum-colored tips. However, thicker/more coats will definitely yield a deeper, darker color that's closer to black and looks almost identical to LPAD if that's what you're looking for.

Popular Polishes