Maxiglide iron

Maxiglide iron

on 8/1/2005 1:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have this iron for a year now & still think it is the best! My hair still is silky and soft not damaged. My mother loved it so much that she stole it from me a few months back and so I decided to try the T3 iron as a replacement so I went to Sephora for the big spurge well I can say it doesn't hold a candle next to my Maxiglide so I returned it and purchased another Maxiglide for myself! Its that good!! I love the steam button for my thick hair. I do wish that it was as light and sleek as the T3 but since the Maxiglide is bigger it takes me a lot less time to do all my hair. For reference I have very thick long wavy highlighted hair.

on 8/29/2005 9:34:00 AM

I have a friend who has one of these and loves it...when she told me the name of it I was like, Maxi-what? Sounds like a feminine hygiene product! Anyway, she kept raving about it, so I bought one at Linens n' Things and I made sure to ask the cashier if I could return it if it didn't work. Just for reference--this friend has similar curliness to her hair as Kerry Russel.

So, I washed and conditioned my hair, put some Beyond the Zone Straight Shot balm in it, and quickly blow-dried it. My hair was a wavy, frizzy mess, because I didn't dry it straight, but that's the selling point of the Maxiglide--that you can go from frizzy to straight in minutes. Oh, for reference, my hair is fine, dry, a few inches below my shoulders and wavy/curly (similar curls to Sarah Jessica Parker). And 95% of the time, I wear my hair curly. Blowing it out straight and then flat ironing it is such a time-consuming hassle, I just don't normally want to deal with that. Nor do I want to have straight hair every day--my hair looks good curly, straight hair is just a once-in-a-while break in the routine.

Anyway, I proceeded to "Maxiglide", following the styling directions from the dvd included with it. It did straighten my hair, was fairly easy to do, and took about 25 minutes. But, I was not happy with the end result. I felt that my hair looked like it was obviously straightened, some pieces still had some frizz to them (even though I went over them a couple of times) and my hair just looked blah--no body. When I take the time to blow dry my hair straight with a big round brush, my hair has body, movement, fullness, and volume at the roots--along with being straightened! Not so with my "Maxiglide" hair.

Back to Linens n' Things it goes. For $89.00, this thing is not worth it to me.

on 8/29/2005 11:17:00 AM

What an awesome iron! It gets my hair super straight in one swipe. I don't use the steam option as I heard it can damage your hair (any moisture while flat ironing is a no-no and can lead to bubble hair). I always use a siclicone based heat protectant before ironing as well. One swipe, and my semi-course wavy frizzy hair is smooth and sleek. It has body as well! This iron also works great to flip out the ends. I think the best feature is the ceramic pins that almost comb the hair while straightening...makes hair smoother. :) Definite repurchase if it ever breaks! I highly recommend!

on 9/20/2005 10:31:00 PM

This is the best flat iron. I like the rounded sides, if you like a little flip or curl it's easy to do. That said, for getting extra volume and and body you won't find that with a flat iron unless you dump your head over and spray the roots or set in velcro rollers and spray, let dry, remove rollers and rake fingers through hair. Of course the long way is to blowdry section by section with a concentrator nozzle, and a big round brush. One more thing, I'm hesitant to use the steam feature because I never thought it was good to iron your hair untill it's completely dry..or sizzle. Also use a spray protector on hair, then brush through, let dry completely. It's important to brush hair throughly before you start because the little "teeth" don't really do it for you. But it's still the best.

on 9/26/2005 5:45:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have thick, naturally wavy, long, color-treated hair that has always been hard to straighten (i thank my grandmother's heritage for this!) Whenever I have used a blow-dryer and brush to attempt sleeker locks, my hair has never looked silky or really good, just poofy. I admit I love the body and texture my hair has when I am having a great wavy hair day, but with the humidity around here, it's not always a good hair day. By the end of my day, I often end up with partially straight, partially wavy hair, even after applying curling serums & lotions! But I have been blessed with a good head of hair, despite its lack of cooperation.
anyway, back to straightening it. After treating my hair with ojon, and then letting it air dry, then applying a heat protective serum, I pulled out the maxiglide and was fairly amazed at the sleekness of my hair with the first swipe. I think I oohhed and ahhed way too many times in 15-20 minutes it took to get my whole head done. I have A LOT of hair so taking only that long was already a plus in my styling book. When I was finished I kept touching my hair, since I couldn't believe how good it looked. My DH isn't used to my hair being so straight, so he had no comment that night. However, a few friends loved it and were even more impressed that it only took 15 minutes!
I decided not to wash my hair the next morning (since it didn't feel icky), but do some touch-up swipes before heading out the door. Again, it was going to be a good hair day! and finally I got a positive response from my DH. He said I looked sexy! Guess we're keeping the maxiglide!
* a side note for why i can't give the maxiglide a 5 -- my hair was a little frizzier than normal the day after i washed the straightness away. but i couldn't tell if it was the weather or the result of having straightened it.

on 10/1/2005 12:55:00 AM

I just bought and used my maxiglide for the first time today. I have what I call "difficult hair"- shoulder dusting length hair- semi straight with weird cowlicks all over so my hair will flip out on one side and go under on the other. I also have a cowlick on the top back of my head and the hair wants to spilt there. I have a widows peak as well in the bang area. God must have over looked me when he was giving out the good hair ! If I just blow dry my hair it looks awful. I have to use hot curlers or a straight iron. I was using a Chi flat iron before I invested in the maxiglide. The Chi does an ok job- but I have to go over most areas several times- and the ends would still flip out! With the Maxiglide I just did one sweep thought each section and my hair was straight right down to the ends! My hair never looked better than it looked today. No fliping ends- my cowlick on the back laid down perfectly- no hairspray needed. I was impressed that my hair had a shine to it that it normally never has. The weight of the maxiglide is not too bad. It is an even weight so it felt comfortable to hold on to when doing my hair. The steam button is something I may not use- perhap if you have very course or curly hair- but for me I do not think steam is necessary. I am quite pleased with the maxiglide thus far - I would recommend this to anyone .

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Its great period. makes your hair silky no matter what.

This is a really great product - second only to the george forman grill in terms of actually delivering the results promised in the infomercial.

I have long curly hair that goes almost down to my bra in back. The curl is similar to Julia Louis-Dreyfuss. I also -sadly - am not blessed with a lot of hair, so that's what I'm starting out with. I hardly ever wear my hair straight because I never got the hang of the blow out. Every flat iron left my hair looking like a really bad blowout and it just hung there with no shape or body. I tried large-barreled curling irons, but got pretty much the same effect, but with a slight curl. No matter which tool I used, I had to go over and over the same piece of hair several times to get it perfectly straight and I could smell my hair scorching.

Then last year I bought a maxi-glide. After the True Ceramic Pro, I swore I would never buy another flat iron off an informerical. But I saw the maxiglide (I agree - HORRIBLE name) at bed bath and beyond and bought it on impulse. I'm glad I did because the search is over. I only have to make one pass over each section of hair and the 4" plates mean you can get quite a bit of hair in there. Those detangling pins really make a difference, although you should comb your hair before using the iron. Those two things together, plus the fact that I don't have a ton of hair mean I can straighten my entire head in no time at all and I can get right down to the root, which I could never do with my curling iron.

I really like the steam feature and the numerous heat settings. I thought the water reservior was kind of small but you really don't need much water at all. The iron is a little heavy, as flat irons go, but if you want an iron with big plates, it's going to be heavier than one of those small irons. In the infomercial, the guy says you can put the iron right up to your face without burning your skin. That's a bit of an exaggeration, I think. I haven't burned myself, but that iron gets HOT and I imagine if you hit the steam button when it's that close to your face, it would not be pleasant.

Sadly, my hair has zero body when it's straight. It's always like that, no matter what kind of iron I use or if I get a professional blowout, so when it turned out kind of flat with the maxi glide, I wasn't all that shocked. I got a new large-barrel curling iron and that finishes me off nicely.

The maxiglide is a keeper. THe only problem is, what do I do with my $100 true ceramic pro and my $150 solano sapphire?

My hair is wispy, frizzy, wavy, coarse, damaged, healthy, all of it. But one thing it is not is SMOOTH. This iron makes my hair feel like a waterfall. I don't use it all over, just on the top layer of hair which is exposed for all the world to see. That way all the wave and body of the natural curls buoy the smooth, straight hair, making my hair look ultra think and well-kept. Or styled even. Which is something I have never been able to say in my life!

I don't consider it heavy or unweildly because this is my first straightener and I have nothing to compare it to. It feels normal to me. It heats up fast and cools down fast.

I also use a product from Sally's Beauty Supply to protect my hair from the heat, and I recommend that strongly too.

on 11/21/2005 11:35:00 AM

This iron is awesome! I have the jilbere but found that it left my hair dry and fried. I used a heat protectant and with the jilbere, residue from the product would build on up on iron and burn! it was just gross....with the maxiglide, I don't feel like my hair is getting fried at all. It looks shinier and I don't have to straighten so as long because it does such a great job on the first run through my hair. I def recommend this flat iron.

Popular Hair Styling Tools