Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

3.2

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract

on 4/25/2017 5:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I wanted to like this, but I’m glad I didn’t waste my money on it and got a sample size.
My experience with this was similar to the Maybelline Baby Skin primer. It made my skin smooth but it was slippery, seems to fill in pores at first application but not long after my makeup wants to slide off my face and the pores on my cheeks and my around my nose look terrible. I have no idea how this could possibly make any face product last all day.

on 4/25/2017 9:13:00 AM

I do think this product helps my foundation stay on better... but I also think it made me have a ton of blackheads on my nose and Tzone. Its pretty much just silicone so what do you expect?

I love this product. It makes your skin feel so smooth!

Doesn't really do a lot , disappointed :/

on 4/17/2017 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

A tube of cheap silicones is essentially all this product is. That's not to say that silicones are terrible or worthless ingredients, they have their place -- many people prefer silicone-based face primers. But they shouldn't make up the bulk of a product's ingredients, imo. Too thick a layer of silicone, whether on your face or your hair and the product becomes difficult to rinse off, can accumulate and cause foundation applied on top of it to ball up and pill. It can make oil production worse, or exacerbate dryness on the other end of things.

Personally, I prefer more balance in a list of ingredients. One or two silicones surrounded by healthier, less potentially irritating ingredients for the sensitive and delicate facial skin. Not gonna get it in this primer, which luckily I did not purchase but sampled through a beauty subscription. I would never buy this myself.

on 4/14/2017 12:26:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This primer was the product that even made primer a cosmetic essential. It makes your skin feel super silky, I like to layer a small, pearl sized amount over my moisturizer before applying the rest of my makeup. Since it's inception, I feel like primers have evolved and progressed so it gets a 4 because I'm sure there are superior products now. It keeps its high marks with me because I feel like all primers are formulated to compete against this one, the OG face primer. Like in the scientific method of primer testing, this one would be the "control" variable. It works well, put it this way I've not met anyone who dislikes it, but I have met people who have moved onto other products. This one, however, is everybody's first primer, and I guess preference and experimentation dictate whether you'll stay with it forever or find a new one to love. I like, however, it's translucent formula. Only a bead or pearl size dot is needed, anymore than that and your proceeding products will "roll" off your face. So even though it's small, you don't run through it as fast as you think. Also, my sis has eczema and extremely sensitive skin and she swears by this stuff. She says it allows her to wear products she would be allergic to otherwise and it smoothes over any rough patchiness adequately so that she can conceal it. This is the only primer which doesn't irritate her sensitive skin and provides a good barrier. I have oily skin, and this primer doesn't imbalance my skin, but it doesn't do anything for the shine either. If anything it allows me to layer the products required for me to control my shine, without looking cakey or breaking me out.

on 4/3/2017 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Wow - I'm shocked by how much I like this. I'm used to Laura Mercier primers but this one blew me away. Left my skin smooth but with an oh so slightly tacky finish that lightly grabbed onto my foundation while still letting my foundation slip over my skin so smoothly.

I don't wear slips anymore but I remember there was a time when we would wear our silk dresses over our silk slips. It felt like that. Two thin layers that felt oh so right next to one another.

My foundation looked smoother than ever, definitely lasted longer and the primer mattified my skin somewhat so I didn't look so oily around my t-zone.

Really impressed and will look into playing around with the primers in different skin tones as well in the future.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This is the worst primer I have ever tried. It is pure silicone and turns my makeup into grease city within one hour. I am so sick of silicone, I avoid it in my skincare and need to find a primer without it ASAP.

on 3/27/2017 11:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I was really excited to try this primer but was initially disappointed after using it a few times. I just felt like it didn’t do much for my skin except for extend the wear of my foundation. Considering the price, I sort of expected more skin smoothing and an overall velvety finish.
My wish came true when I happened upon a video of GlamLife Guru. She applied her primer with a foundation brush as she explained that she found it went on better. Now she wasn’t using Smashbox, but it got me to thinking that maybe I should try the same method. The result? OMFG, here’s the results I’ve been waiting for! The brush glides the primer all over my face seamlessly, giving it a perfect, velvety iridescent finish. It’s so gorgeous that I didn’t even bother with foundation this morning, just a good dusting of my Fit Me pressed powder with a big brush, a swipe of kohl liner, and I was out the door. Do I find it mildly annoying that I need a brush to make this primer work? A little bit, but I’m still a bit of a novice when it comes to makeup techniques so this might be all on me. Plus, I already had a brush on hand so it wasn’t as though I needed to go buy one. And the brush I’m using is EcoTools which I bought on special, nothing pricey or crazy, so all in all, I’d say I’m quite happy with the end result!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Doesnt really do much imo.

Popular Primer/ Correctors