Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

3.2

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This is the worst primer ever and ridiculously overpriced for what it is...pure silicone. Silicone is really bad for your skin in that it ages and it blocks pores, so if youre acne prone beware. It feels super silky going on but that's essentially because it's a plastic by product. Just no. It doesn't hold foundation on, it's too slippery so foundation slips off. Skip this!

on 2/13/2017 11:48:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I was excited when i got this primer. I got small bumps all over my face when i first used this together with a new foundation. Initially, I thought it was the foundation which caused it. After stopping use of the two for weeks, I reintroduced again this primer into my morning routine. Within the same morning, I got the small bumps again all over my face. This primer looked promising when i swatched it on my hand. But when i applied it on my face, it didn't blur out my pores. Disappointing.

on 2/8/2017 5:56:00 AM

I received a sample the other day of the hydrating photo finish primer (blue packaging). It went on nicely, had a cooling effect and was extremely moisturising so definitely good for dry skin, however it did absolutely nothing for my makeup or its longevity. Maybe at night time on a hot day might be nice for a refreshing feel but other than that doesnt do a thing.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Not for acne prone skin I guess, it clogged up my pores and caused me to break out suddenly...

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Gives me photofinish make up! I even wear it alone. It gives me flawless look.

on 1/14/2017 9:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I tried this out after reading so many rave reviews here.
I use the Smashbox 15 hour foundation every day, and usually use the Urban Decay Pore Perfecting Primer underneath, which isn't fantastic, but it doesn't break me out either.
I bought the Photo Finish Primer to see whether it would work better with the foundation.

The first thing I noticed is that this doesn't mattify my skin at all. It does go over very smoothly (probably because of the amount of silicone in it), and you don't need a lot. But it does nothing to control oil, make pores look smaller or blur imperfection. Over the course of the day, my face looked significantly oilier than it does with the UD Pore Perfecting Primer and - on the days I have used the Smashbox Primer - there has always been a huge zit awaiting me at the end of the day.

Won't use again. It's really expensive for what it is. I don't understand why I should pay this much money for something so sub par. Not repurchasing.

on 1/4/2017 9:03:00 PM

I've been using this for a couple weeks and I can't seem to make it work for me. Since starting a new cleansing routine, the pores on my nose are free of clusters and wide open for the receiving. I needed something to fill these in without clogging them, so I could wear my Smashbox foundation without looking like the world's smallest golf course was on my nose. I figured using a Smashbox primer under a Smashbox foundation was a no brainer.

The texture is very much silicone. It's not bad per say, and I'm able to cover the tiny area I need with very little product. My issue is, after using this and putting my foundation on, my nose is still a bit dewey. I love a matte finish. LOVE it. I tried to put my powder on top, but my nose immediately dries out and I'm left with cracks and dry patches. It's like magic, I can literally see it crack before my eyes.

Aside from not being matte, and before putting on powder, my pores are not 100% covered, you can still see some. It's not as bad as without it, but for the price, I should see none.

I'm fixing to pick up some higher end setting powder and see if that does the trick. The fact I need to question one of my Holy grails is also bothersome.

I'll use this up, but unless I can find a way to make it work, I won't be repurchasing. I do not recomend.

Got a sample of this in my Smashbox Studio Skin foundation box. Was excited to try it underneath the foundation because the foundation doesn't smooth over pores like I'd prefer. I didn't really feel that the primer did much of anything. My foundation didn't look any smoother on top, and it certainly didn't last any longer.

on 11/22/2016 1:26:00 PM

I just purchased this during the Sephora VIB sale. I notice a slight difference when i apply makeup now- my foundation sticks better and stays longer and a little bit goes a long way. However, it is not a huge difference so I gave it a 4 instead of a 5. I would think about repurchasing after running out, but probably not before trying other products first.

on 11/13/2016 10:24:00 PM

Not any better than your typical drug silicone based drug store primer. To start off, I have self realized that I may be allergic or get reactions to stuff with silicone in it(this has a lot).

When you put this on you want to make sure you are properly exfoliated and moisturized because if you dont this will cake up in your rough dry patches and look gross. Also use as small of an amount as possible. This does not give good staying power AT ALL if you have oily skin. I have oily/combo/acne prone skin and this just made my skin worse and more glossy looking as the day went on.. It gave no staying power to my make up but it did fill in my pores on my nose. Also, do not rub this in, pat it on AREAS NEEDED ONLY. I somewhat liked this for a while but found within a week it was too thick for my oily skin with the silicones in it and it BROKE MY CHIN OUT IN PAINFUL CYSTIC ACNE JUST LIKE THE PHOTOS I SAW ABOVE.