Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer

3.2

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

For the life of me, I can't understand how this has below 50% repurchase rate!! It's my HG, I never found a better primer and I tried quite a few. It absolutely smoothes skin surface and gives an ideal MU application, it also helps foundation stay put. I always notice a difference when I use it and when I don't on my MU finish look. I'm on my second bottle.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is exactly like NYX primer for oily skin. At first, being an oily skinned gal, I felt that this might be too oily, but it did dry to a velvety soft finish once applied. My favorite primer is by Becca which really keeps my foundation looking fresh and holds it like crazy all day! This one made my skin slightly oily at about the three hour mark and though it did hold my makeup (with the help of my MAC Fix+ spray), I felt it emphasize my pores too much and made the t-zone oilier as aforementioned after several hours of wear. Is it a bad product? No, would I buy it again? Not so much. In my opinion, better for drier skin types and doesn't live up to the hype, at least for me anyway. Definitely not a re-purchase.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I have no idea why the ratings and reviews for this product are quite bad. I am an obsessive makeup collector and own way too many primers, but Smashbox Photo Finish primer is the best one I own. It makes my foundation look the best and has a very noticeable difference. Without this primer my makeup just doesn’t look as good.

I have attempted to try other new primers such as the Lancome La Base Pro but that primer left my makeup looking so powdery each time even when 3 setting sprays were used. Smashbox primer just makes my base look so smooth and flawless. I took one star off because I am also a sweaty betty and this primer does not deal well with that, so when I sweat on my forehead it does not keep on the makeup on my forehead. But besides that, I have yet to run into another primer that leaves as beautiful a finish for my makeup and I have tried several.

on 2/19/2018 2:48:00 PM

I was really disappointed with the performance of this product. I have used smashbox primers in the past and loved them but this is heavy feeling and it does nothing for my pores. Many primers are just too greasy for me and I'm always in search of a good one. Unfortunately this wasn't it.

I got this as a sample size at Sephora and I'm glad I didn't waste money on the full sized version.

This primer feels very heavy on my skin. I actually feel like it makes me sweat more? Idk...I'm not happy with it. I get oilier a lot quicker than usual and wherever I have applied this primer my foundation starts slipping and sliding around.
It does indeed fill pores and lines but in my opinion the negative effects outweigh the positive ones.

Not a fan of this. Also not of the oil free version since I had the exact same problems with that one as well.
Wouldn't repurchase or recommend. Not even for dry skin, since it's not paricuarly hydrating either.

on 1/13/2018 4:40:00 AM

Does a good job minimizing pores, and it works really well in helping my fullcoverage foundations stay in place. I have used with both Younique Touch Mineral Foundation, and Mac Studio Fix Foundations. I have fair neutral skin tone, am 25 with no blemishes, and fairly neutral skin type with minor dry skin around the nose area

I haven't used very many primers, so I don't have a lot to compare this to, but this is the best primer I have used. It goes on so smoothly and makes my skin feel soft and smooth. I think it makes my foundation look better and last longer. I would not repurchase though because it's very expensive and I could probably find a cheaper one that's just as good.

on 12/31/2017 2:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I bought this given the hype but it is not the best primer I have used. If I was to choose a silicone based primer I rather go for Lancôme which I have used in the past- much better texture than this. It's not bad but not excellent either. Does minimise pores. But quite sticky.

Won't be repurchasing.

on 12/23/2017 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

1.6 ounces, $36.00.

II got the travel size in this and finished the tube. ...Not impressed.....Will not repurchase. It does make my face feel super smooth but other than that, it didn't really do anything for me Let me fair to the product and state that I'm not a fan of primers anyway, but I still try them every once in a while. i. used this with several foundations and also a tinted moisturizer. None of them looked better with it or lasted any longer. II never use a full coverage or matte foundation so maybe it works better with those. Also toward the end of the day, it felt like my skin couldn't breathe and my face always had a warm feeling to it. I didn't have any redness, break outs or anything, it just felt uncomfortable and I couldn't want to wash it off every day I used it. Also it did absolutely nothing to help fill in small lines, if anything it seemed to accentuate them. For $36.00 I would rather put that money toward good foundation that doesn't need a primer.

Ingredients:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone / Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water / Aqua / Eau, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata (Kola) Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract

on 12/21/2017 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I recently rediscovered this in my makeup collection and I completely forgot how much I loved this classic, OG makeup primer. I have dry skin and pores aren't my biggest issue, so I tend to go for more hydrating primers (especially in the Canadian winter weather that I'm currently in). But for a pore filling primer, this evens out my skin SO beautifully without drying it out. It just looks like a smooth canvas and I do believe it helps noticeably with the longevity of my makeup.

I do think this is pricey, but Sephora often has these as samples/point perks so I think I went quite a while without having to actually purchase a full size (and of course when I finally caved and purchased it, I did so in a smashbox set because those are most often than not a better value... and this comes out in a value set every year around the holidays).

I believe it's unscented and it has a 24 month shelf life after opening, which is double (if not more) than other primers. Still haven't found a silicone based primer that works better than this! Check out a sample/point perk if you see it pop up! Would definitely recommend and I think this would be good for most skin types.