OPI Black Onyx

Black OnyxOPI - Black OnyxBlack Onyx

4.1

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Sadly this black doesn't have the same formula as other colours - it's very goopy, but also quite liquid at the same time, which can make it hard to place it on your nail and control where it goes. The thickness makes you push it around more, but the liquidy-ness makes it run into your cuticle and the corners of your nails.

That said, I used one coat and got a smooth, opaque application. There were some bubbles but that might be my application.

There are other good black polishes out there that don't cost $20 a bottle, I'm sure of it.

on 3/8/2017 2:08:00 PM

Background: My nails are almost always painted and 9 times out of 10, they are black. I would always pick up a cheap $2 black nail polish and ended up painting my nails every 2-3 days. I decided to splurge and get a more expensive one, hoping it would hold up better. I am a laser technician and use my hands a lot in addition to constantly washing them and typing. This is ok, I think it performs best with a basecoat underneath which I don't always do. This can chip and peel and i've had it for maybe 2-3 months and it was super thick and gloopy last night so I added polish remover to try and thin it out which I typically do. I'm hoping that works but i'm annoyed that it did that because I keep it on my dresser and closed. I always use my rapid dry top coat from essie on any nail polish I use. I find myself still having to paint my nails 1-2 times a week. It's a shiny cream black, just like the $2 sinful color one I have but I guess this is a little bit better. All in all, I probably will purchase from another HE brand like china glaze when I run out and see if that holds up better. I do love OPI, though, and have other colors by them so maybe it's just the way I use my hands that make polish hard to keep.If I don't find any other HE brand black that lives up to what I am wanting then maybe I would repurchase this, although I put no on here.

on 8/29/2016 3:25:00 PM

I don't know if I got a bad batch but this nail polish for me was streaky; it is not a one-coater unlike china glaze's liquid leather. I have small, round nails so I found the wide brush difficult to use since nail polish kept getting outside my nails. This nail polish is a little pricey for the drugstore and I think liquid leather is a better alternative for this particular color; the only problem is that china glaze is difficult to find since I see it only in ulta and online.

on 7/22/2015 2:03:00 PM

There are a lot of black creme polishes out there and they are NOT all the same. This one is fine, opaque in two coats (definitely not a one-coater unfortunately), no problems with application or wear. Nice inky black color and it dries to a shiny finish.

But for a black nail polish I would recommend either Illamasqua's Boosh (my HG black) or FingerPaints' Black Expressionism. Both are opaque in one coat and have a deep, rich, glossy color.

I love OPI, and Black Onyx is perfectly alright. But I wouldn't buy it again.

on 10/31/2014 10:52:00 PM

Pros:
- shade is a true black
- opi standard

Cons:
- not opaque in one coat
- became too thick for easy application relatively quickly

on 5/31/2014 7:09:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Perfect opaque black. Good quality.

on 7/16/2013 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I finally got this after lusting after it since 2008! I started with Orly Liquid Vinyl (which is my baby) then I got Essie Licorice (also a beautiful black with an excellent formula. But I just had to get this. I love black nail polish! It is so classy on short manicured nails and toes. I was in Target late one night and this polish winked at me like it wanted to go home with me. I had to get it. I love this with 2 coats. This is not opaque in one coat like Orly. But it is a beautiful black with a wonderful formula and I love the prowide brush!!!! And the round OPI bottles are great too. Well done OPI!

on 4/4/2013 5:56:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I've had a different experience with this colour as compared to other reviewers.

I simply adore this colour. It's such a true black and look extremely sophisticated on short manicured nails.

It does tend to chip but that has been my experience with all dark colours in the OPI range. Another reviewer suggested 2 layers of top coat - I might try this next time.

I usually get this colour professionally applied at the salon as it's a tricky colour to apply precisely - so I haven't personally noticed that it is too runny because I just let the professional at the salon do her thing.

I simply love the colour and I think the quality is good so I give this a 4 lipstick rating and I'll be using this colour again and again.

on 2/9/2013 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

A completely mediocre product. I was expecting a lovely glossy, easy to apply polish - but this is runny and gloopy at the same time. You will need at least two coats to get a good coverage. I will not comment on lasting power as this can be affected by your base & top coat. I use it on my swatch sticks (for duochromes) so that it is not a waste and will not be buying another one when (and if) it does run out. Also the price is high for me (in New Zealand dollars) when I can get a Jordana polish that is better for much less.
EDIT: Okay my review is rather scathing...but trust me my bottle was horrible. I love OPIs in general and so this was a greater disappointment than most lol.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse

I love OPI but this polish left a lot to be desired. I was constantly having to thin it out. And it wasn't the easiest to work with. It wasn't horrific but I'm sure you can find a different simple black cream for less that works better.

Popular Polishes