NARS Chihuahua

Chihuahua Nars Lipgloss Chihuahua Chihuahua Chihuahua

4.4

on 11/29/2010 11:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Okay, it's totally story time. I first bought Chihuahua in 2006. I reviewed it here on MUA. I liked it, but I had yet to realise its full power. My review was short, and I only gave the gloss a 4 out of 5 rating. I'm here to rectify this and re-write a (hopefully) better review. A year after I bought my first tube, I moved to Maine. I went on a trash frenzy, throwing out all kinds of things...INCLUDING CHIHUAHUA. At the time, I figured I didn't need it. In hindsight, who the hell throws away a lip gloss that costs 24 USD? A moron, apparently. Anyway, in my travels and lip glossing, I realised that the juicy, bright-but-not-so-bright-it-can't-be-neutral pink was the absolute bee's knees on my NC 20/25 skin/Italian coloring. It lights up my face, and makes my light brown eyes sparkle. If you are of similar physical appearance, this simply is a must-try. Try layering it with Nars Niagara lipstick for something else that's amazing, too. Nars lip glosses are among my favorite because, as far as I'm concerned, the lasting power, relative lack of scent and smooth texture set them apart from the others. I actually prefer them to Chanel Glossimers, as well. So, to wrap my story up, after hemming and hawing about replacing my poor, tossed-out Chihuahua, I purchased a shiny, new tube at the Portland Sephora. I take it with me everywhere and haven't looked back.

on 8/1/2004 3:03:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a very pretty color! I am thankful for that, because I had every intention of buying it for the silliest reason of all...I have a dog and he's a chihuahua!So I was very happy to see that this is not only a pretty shade, but a very wearable one as well. Chihuahua is a soft, warm pink color...I would call it a nude-pink, although it has no beige in it.Actually, it is a perfect shade of pink - soft and subtle, not at all bright, no shimmer and is neutral enough to work for both warm and cool colorings, as well as light and deep skintones. Very versatile!The texture of Nars glosses is nice - not sticky and with a nice amount of shine.Chihuahua is a great addition to any lipgloss collection and worth the price because it's a color you will definitely get a lot of use out of.Very wearable anytime - not an incredibly unique shade, but definitely one of those that may well become a 'staple' in your stash!

edited to add...just an FYI...the swatch on the Sephora.com website is really not accurate. The actual color of this gloss is not at all a brighter pink as shown there...it is much softer, lighter and warmer. continued >>

A creamy nude lipgloss which is a very natural, subtle, mlbb shade. It is a nice colour and comfortable to wear, however I find that it lacks staying power, only lasting for about two hours before needing to be re-applied, which is not acceptable when paying such a high price for a lipgloss. I do enjoy the colour, but prefer MAC lipglasses due to their staying power. The lipgloss has no noticeable smell or taste. A nice shade, but would not repurchase.

on 7/5/2012 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Let me start by saying that I HATE lipgloss, but I LOVE this stuff! I don't have air in my car so I tend to avoid lip glosses like the plague because nothing gets me irritated like my hair stickin' to my mouth. My hair can get unruly sometimes so I eat my hair a lot and I don't need no goopy glue on my lips to make it worse.

That being said I will say that I love the color of this lip gloss SO much that I will put up with the grossness that is lip gloss. The color is so pretty, yet understated and natural-esque. I am on my second tube. I lost my first one and liked it so much I bought another one.

My only real complaint is that this stuff has little staying power. You have to reapply a lot and as a result I don't tend to wear this a ton.

I did end up trying to find lipstick dupes for this and Mac's Bare Again and Patisserie are very nice substitutes.

on 5/16/2008 12:45:00 AM

I have a number of NARS lip glosses, which is saying something since they cost a fortune here in Australia - $50.

Chihuahua is gorgeous. It is neutral without being nude. I have pale-olive skin (hard to explain), very dark brown hair and blue-grey eyes and my lips are VERY pigmented (naturally the colour of NARS Stella lip gloss - I bought this and love it but it's identical to my lips, just shiny). A lot of nude lip glosses and lipsticks wash me out and make me look like I'm wearing glossy foundation on my lips (gross!), but this is beautiful. It's not pale pink, it has substance and body and is gives you some colour but tones down my natural lip colour.

I will definitely purchase this again, even at it's uber-expensive price because it is so wearable and goes with everything (I usually carry two lip glosses with me at all times, a pinkish one and a neutral-brownish one), now I only need chihuahua.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

very similar to MAC Lust lipglass, except a little more pink toned. Chihuahua has exceptionally bad staying power, even for a gloss which are not know for their staying power anyway. it seemed very wattery. I swapped mine and definatly would not re-purchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This grew on me. I have owned about 9 or 10 NARS glosses and this is the favorite. When first swatched on my hand, I thought it was way too pink and young-ish. One fateful day I layered it over Honeylove and that totally changed my tune. It is a gentle pink (another reviewer said milky rose which is spot on!) and it actually does make my lips look "younger" if that makes sense; that's just the word that comes to mind when I put it on, but it's a good kind of young -- not trying too hard, not too much, not too dramatic. Just soft and sweet. Now I carry it around in my purse because it generally looks good with many of my lighter and MLBB lipsticks ... In fact sometimes if I regret a pink or nude lippie purchase I will try this gloss over it and somehow, like magic, I'm reassured. If you have pigmented lips and warm toned skin, I recommend it all the more because it does well on its own too.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

If we're talking about statement makeup, this isn't it. Chihuahua's charm lies in its subtlety. If we're talking about your-lips-but-better, then ding! we have a winner. This is a gorgeous color that really flatters a warm or yellow-toned complexion, even if you are a PPP, as I currently am. No gimmicks here, no glitter, shimmer, or weird undertones, just a lovely dusty pink that really closely resembles a natural lip color (or mine, at least). This is only semi-sheer, but on me it looks mostly sheer because it is such a dead-ringer for my actual lips. It goes on very slick and is not sticky. This is as much a curse as it is a blessing, because it requires faithful re-application and it takes some layering to get a good pigment going. Over a lipstick this is sure thing. I would pair it with Dolce Vita lipstick for the quintessential daytime nude look. By itself, it's still lovely, and I'm sure with a natural-tone lipliner, even better. The smell isn't foul or anything, just slightly plastic-y. It's nothing that would deter me from buying again. The price, however, is. For just under $30, I would hesitate, but probably cave and re-purchase anyways, because this is a very nice gloss. It might not have all the bells and whistles you've come to expect from pricier makeup, but it's a winner in its own right.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This gloss is one of my favorites! The color is a nice, milky rose tone. The texture is thin, with no stickiness. The smell isn't the best--it kind of reminds me of children's play makeup, haha. On the lips, the color is quite sheer. It's not moisturizing, but it also won't dehydrate your lips. Generally, it wears about 2 or 3 hours on me and won't last through dinner or drinks...pretty average for the gloss. I think what I love about it the most is it's versatility--it looks beautiful and balances a heavier eye look, but also looks great on days where you're wearing nothing BUT this gloss.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I also was planning on getting NARS Turkish Delight but looking at swatches I figured I wouldn't be able to pull it off since it was too milky pink for my skin-tone. Chihuahua seemed like the next best option because the colour is pretty much like my natural lip colour but only slightly more peachy. It's a good "nude" on me and I love that this gloss isn't sticky and has no glitter/shimmer! It makes my lips look fuller too.