REVLON Charlie Red

3.9

Price: $

Price: $

on 12/26/2013 10:02:00 PM

On me Charlie Red smells like a more wearable version of White Diamonds. Whereas White Diamonds can be overpowering and has a cool, crisp and almost sharp drydown on me, Charlie Red is much softer and warmer. At the same time it is bright enough to be a party perfume and spicy enough to be a sexy evening perfume.

This is incredibly versatile and I feel comfortable just wearing it when I go shopping and knowing I won't overpower the people around me. Having said that, it is tenacious. I find it works best sprayed on my torso under clothes, and brushed through my short hair. I've had numerous compliments when wearing this fragrance so it seems to work with my body chemistry.

Longevity: 8-12 hours (and my skin tends to kill some supposedly strong perfumes). This is the longest lasting fragrance I have (the second being Ciara also by Revlon).

Sillage: soft/moderate in cool weather but moderate/strong in very warm weather when it wafts around me like a lightly fragranced cloud.

My only gripe is not with the perfume but with Revlon marketing. In Australia you can only purchase the Charlie perfumes in 100ml bottles. Frankly this means that sometimes the perfume can begin to turn before using it all up, and also it means you can't carry it around for touch ups. I'd dearly love to be able to get it in 15 ml purse size bottles. This review is for the eau de toilette. I have not smelt the body spray.

15 January 2015 Edit: This is fast becoming one of my favourite fragrances. It's summer in Australia and many perfumes are just too heavy for the warmer weather. I find I can wear this one every day, regardless of how hot it is. It never becomes overly sweet or sickly. I've had quite a few compliments when wearing it. Even my mother who is sensitive to fragrance likes it. Moreover it makes me feel pretty and sexy. I love the fact that it is light enough to wear almost anywhere but still makes me feel sexy.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

When I was looking through my mother's old things, I found a bottle of charlie red. I'd heard about this perfume, so I tried some on. At the first whiff, I got an alcoholic smell I associate with 80's perfumes - too strong, notes I couldn't really pick out individually amongst the harsh background and not nice. Then quickly, that wore off and a strong honey smell really started to be revealed as a few minutes went by. It still wasn't very nice, but I decided to persevere.
After around 10 minutes, the peach and the musk broke through, sweetened by a residual honey note. It was lovely, sweet but not really gourmand, quite soft, even slightly powdery. I went to sleep wearing it and woke up still smelling of it 15 hours after application. The smell wasn't so strong that I was constantly aware of it like other perfumes, it came in wafts. Very womanly, very sexy. Just wait for it to develop into that lovely peachy-musk before deciding if you like it or not.

on 3/13/2006 12:13:00 PM

An amazing fresh floral with no note of syntheticity in it. I got this as a birthday present and I must say I love it. It's just the right fragrance for this end of winter season. I'm usually into expensive fragrances, but I must admit I sometimes commit a prejudice against cheap but worthy fragrances like this.

on 8/11/2005 4:18:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Loved Charlie White, but hated this. I was told this was more of a sexy scent, versus a light clean scent in Charlie White. This stuff reminded me of old ladies. It was stale and just made me gag a bit everytime I sprayed it. Finally, I just threw it out. The staying power sucked too.

on 7/14/2005 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

This stinks on me. It doesn't smell fresh, but stale. It's like a monotone(or shall it be, mono-notes) smell on me. This is definetly not a summer scent.
UPDATE: I'll upgrade this to four lippies. It's been a year later and I'm enjoying this scent. Very casual and sexy.

Quote: "they even prefer it to my much loved Hugo Boss woman intense! Cheaper IS sometimes better :)"

So true!! My situation is the same!!

This is the first perfume I ever brought, and five years later, it remains my HG and more than any other perfume I own, men love it. Unfortunately, heat tends to change the scent of Charlie Red on me, so it's a no-no for summer or even spring, which is when I would most like to be wearing it:(

When going out, I was always tempted to wear Hugo Boss because it's expensive and 'higher class'.. but that's just silly. Charlie Red wins, hands down.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a great perfume for someone on a budget! It has a lovely, spicy, sexy smell which is perfect for a date.

I love Charlie Red because men love it! It's a nice, tingly and sweet smell, and breezy. It's vibrant without being overwhelming, and every man I know has said how lovely it is... they even prefer it to my much loved Hugo Boss woman intense! Cheaper IS sometimes better :)

Popular Fragrances