Dior Hypnotic Poison

I for one am sick of the immature rants about different fragrances. Isn't it enough to state the perfume just did not work for you and why? If you are old enough to wear fragrance then you are old enough to articulate why you might dislike it without sounding like a 10 year old. I happen to like this fragrance very much. It seems to work well with my particular chemistry. It is also long lasting which is important to me. A complex and lovely scent! I don't usually see anyone mocking me for wearing it either. (See a previous review)

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

In the 80's, my aunt used to wear the original Poison, and I remember thinking how sexy and grown up it was. When she wasn't around, I'd douse myself in it. Later, when I was in my early 20s, I tried the original Poison again, and I found that it smelled fishy on my skin; however, Hypnotic Poison was perfection with my chemistry. It is a sweet, warm, dark almond with a sharp vanilla. Sweet, yet naughty. This scent feels almost witchy, supernaturally sweet . It's something I'd imagine a gypsy wearing. When I smell this perfume I think of crystal balls and femme fatales. This is NOT suitable for the summer or spring. I'd say it works best with cold air, darkness, and cozy sweaters. If you like perfumes that smell like plastic cotton candy, sunshine and lollipops, or clean purity, you will detest Hypnotic Poison. Also, if you try Hypnotic Poison, Do not go overboard! This is a potent perfume that is very sexy and womanly, but should be applied in moderation. This is a perfume for a woman who knows what she wants and always gets her way. A woman who is sweet, but also blatantly sexual, slightly bitchy, and dark at the same time. Hypnotic poison is a lady in red with a plunging neckline who's guaranteed to tie a man to a bedpost and walk away with peals of laughter and the ghost of her sensual perfume floating in the breeze.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is the embodiment of female sexuality and romance all incapsulated in a perfect little red apple-like bottle. The fragrance is alluring, it is intended to make a statement, but not to over whelm, it is unforgettable and unmistakable- one of the few mainstream fragrances that is unique and quality. And yes, it lasts all day. It will fade from your skin by tomorrow, but it lasts on your clothes for days. I love putting my jacket on the next day and still being able to smell it from a few nights ago.

The notes of this fragrance plays out like a romantic story. It is strong at first, the base notes of sandalwood, vanilla, moss jacaranda wood, and musk has thrown off some prospective women. It's strong, it's oriental exotic base fragrance is what lifts up and compliments the scents to follow. The heart notes are softer, warm, but still sexy with rose, lilly, and jasmine that dance with the sandalwood, vanilla, and creamy musky base notes. The top notes consist of caraway, coconut, bitter almond, plum, apricot, and pimento tie the package together. The scents intermingle with each other, they are intense, complimentary, and powerful in the way they will wrap the wearer up, and those in close proximity to her.

I adore this perfume, currently, it is my only favourite, I have never been able to find anything as unique or as complex as Hypnotic Poison. The name could not be more fitting, it has this 'hypnotic' quality to it, it's always swaying and changing it's attitude as the mood shifts and time goes on. Initially it is strong and bold, however as the scents begin to fade and unravel, it becomes vulnerable as it's heart is revealed, then it ends softly and sweetly like the last notes of a violin in the evening Paris air.

The notes that are particularly prominent to me, are the musky moss and sandalwood in the beginning, than the rose, jasmine, hint of coconut and bitter almond. The other fragrances compliment them and alter the scent as the night goes on. I like wearing it by day, but prefer wearing it by night. I think this scent suits every woman, but whether she choses to accept it as her own, is entirely up to her. Remember, scent is the closest thing tied to memory, so make sure it's a memorable one. Care to bite into this forbidden fruit?

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

First of all..Amandaminty really? And for everyone that says that anyone wearing this smells disgusting..chill out. Just RELAX!!!! Fragrance is subjective. Most of us understand that. What smells amazing on me may suck on you and vice versa but is there a need to be a creep? I think not..Anyway...

This is one of the more unique fragrances I have ever come across. It has a vanilla base (I love vanillas) but it isnt sweet foody vanilla. It is sweet but still darker and complex. Morphs beautifully on my skin. I do get that "rootbeer" scent but it also has a warmth to it like there is cinnamon and the muskiness is clean not cloying. I almost get a gentle incense hint from this as it wears on (and it lasts and lasts like all Dior scents).

I enjoy it when I am in the mood and the sillage is great-I walked by hubby the other day and he said "mmm I like that." My only issue is the price-same issue I have with all Dior fragrances.

I reccomend trying it on your skin and seeing how it works for YOU personally. I know I cannot wear many floral fragrances or ctiric scents and yet they smell great on others. All about body chemistry

Ok, basically the ONLY reason I even tried this was because my husband smelled it at work on a co-worker and just went nuts! He even made the poor woman write the name of it down for him. We went to the perfume counter and I sniffed this on the tester and went UHG! Nothing I would have picked for myself, as I usually go for light, sweet floral stuff. This is as far from light and sweet as you can get! I went ahead and got a small bottle and the next time we went out for the evening (this is definitely a "night" perfume) I spritzed a small amount on...a little goes a LONG way! Needless to say, as the evening progressed and my body heated up, the smell started to change and I caught whiffs of an exotic vanilla and almost licorish like smell. I was just starting to get used to this stuff when a man walked up to me and ask what I was wearing. Thinking I had offended someone with this potent stuff, I started apologizing and blaming my hubby for the offending smell. The guy then informed me that he *loved* whatever I was wearing and while apologizing to my husband, told me that it smelled like "sex"! Since then, I've worn this out every time hubby and I go out at night and I ALWAYS have atleast one man come up and either ask what I'm wearing or stand really close and just sniff at me! For some reason....men LOVE this scent! I don't get this reaction from other women, and I do believe this smells different on different people. My best girl friend ran out and bought some after she saw the reactions I got from it but she has yet to get the same. I've also noticed that is smells totally different on her though. My ONLY complaint is that if you get it on clothing, it sticks around for a long time, even after a washing and using a highly scented fabric softner! So, after thinking I would hate this, I have come to absolutely love it AND the reaction it gets. My poor hubby actually gets this smirk on his face now whenever he sees me apply it before a night out because he knows what's going to happen!

Obsessed! I was on the hunt for a new perfume that would attract 'males'.. for me, if im going to smell good I want to appeal to everyone and particularly, men. I am the kind of girl who does her research before buying anything.. so, I googled scents that men like, and after heaps of research there were about 15 perfumes or so that stood out to me and were frequently repeated in questionaires that males/guys had answered. I then researched all these perfumes on fragrantica.com and even made an excel document of all the results so that I could compare them. (yes I am THAT cray) long story short, I shortened the list down to 3 pefumes which I then went and bought and I found that when I wore this scent (Dior- Hypnotic poison) not only did i LOVE the scent but I also recieved ridiculous amounts of compliments from males and females. Research paid off and I can happily say this is my signature and all time favourite scent! Do yourself a favour and ATLEAST go to the shops and spritz some on yourself :) you won't be dissapointed! X

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

The perfect vanilla for people with a chemistry that turns other vanillas/sweet notes into a cloying mess. Hypnotic poison melts perfectly on my naturally warm temperature skin, to produce an AMAZING vanilla, almond, coconut, wood musk, slightly salty smell (PHEW that was long!). And probably I should mention that the outcome is not a foody one! It's a strangely human scent, it almost feels as if it has a pulse. I cant get over how alive and natural it smells to my nose. And at the same time its so calming and cuddly. I also love how it doesn't project too far but has a great lasting power. As an introvert I don't like to be noticed by everybody but only by a select few people. But I do want my perfume to stay on. So this is perfect. To sum up, Hypnotic poison certainly deserves its' reputation!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just completed the sign up process on here just so I could leave a review on this. Reviews guided and (some) helped me on my search for a new scent so I felt it right to return the favor. The past 2-3 months, I had been on a search for a new fragrance. When it comes to scents/perfumes, I am far from knowledgeable about what's out there and my tastes drastically drift towards sweet; gourmand is a word I recently learned also stands as its own category for scents.

My favorite scent of all is vanilla. I cannot get enough vanilla. So I researched fragrances that had a good kick of vanilla in them. When I would be near a store that sold fragrances, I would go in and try to remember the names of various ones that I had read about. I remembered reading about Hypnotic Poison when I came across it at Sephora. I sprayed myself and was very displeased. Did not like it. However, during the car ride home, I started smelling something that I kinda liked. It was definitely different compared to what I was used to but I was not as offended as I had been when I did that first spray.

Few weeks later I am at Ulta. I seek out this scent again and spray myself. Only this time, I was more favorable to it. Once again, about 30 minutes later, I pick up on a scent that i fall in love with. The dry down, which takes about 30 minutes on me, is wonderful. I fell in love with it after that second time. Thought about it for a couple more weeks and then went today a bought it.

Because I am very inexperienced with all the various smells out there, I cannot tell you, in specifics, what it is exactly that I smell in this other than it has a "reserved" sweet smell to it. Meaning that it's not an overly strong sweet smell. I do smell vanilla in it and for that I am pleased. I had been wearing Britney's Fantasy and JS Fancy. This is not as sweet as those, and I do love those. Thinking of those two reminds me that I have read many reviews where people are absolutely trashing them because either they feel they aren't "sophisticated" enough or that those scents should be worn only by teenagers. People putting age limits on fragrances is beyond me and if you like something, one shouldn't care what it is or what other people will think. It's one thing if you don't like it and describe why and give your opinion, which we all should be able to do, but it's another thing when the person insults the fragrance and all who wear it in a most disrespectful manner. The second I see the tone of the review is disrespectful or full of explanation points being used like they're oxygen, I move on to the next. But I digress.......

This is a wonderful fragrance, however, it took me two full times of its spraying and drying process to fall in love with it. My husband actually likes this on me so that's a plus. He usually doesn't care for anything stronger than a body splash so this was surprising. I do wish this was not as expensive as it is but to me, it's worth it. The bottle is cute. The lid seems like it is going to stay on snugly and that's all I care about as far as the bottle. The bottle could look like a booger but as long as the lid stays on and this wonderful scent comes out of it, I do not care.

It also lasts quite awhile on me. Hours. Much longer than any other fragrance I have used. It lasts even longer on my jackets and clothes. One jacket in particular still held its scent 5 days after the fact.

If you like fragrances with a reserved sweet tone to them but I would give this a shot. For me it took a couple times trying but was well worth it. I wish I could have been more specific in terms of describing different notes I picked up on in the scent, but again I am new to this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hypnotic Poison is smooth, dark, rich, slick, and suave, like a very charming guy whom you discover is really a jerk. I like it (the fragrance, not that sort of dude). It reminds me of cola spiked with brandy next to a dish of steaming, creamy vanilla pudding thickened with almond paste. Yes, there is a slight sweetish Play Dough note due to the vanilla or bitter almonds, but the lush, almost wet, jasmine does a good job taking the edge off this unintentional plastic accord. HP smells like dessert and drinks, though it evokes the long subsequent hours between the sheetsthe aftermath of the digestif. This is what I hoped BBW Warm Vanilla Sugar would smell like. HP is the scent of the girl who plays along with the player and then enchants his best friend a few days later, the scent of the evil-eyed, smirking Snow Queen who has a powerful narcotic flowing through her veins. I think once I finish my sample, a full bottle is in my future. I subtracted one point because HP has mediocre staying power for me, especially given how pricy the juice is, but to be fair, my skin devours perfume. The only EDT concentration I find that lasts is Light Blue, so I have to wait until the rumored EDP of HP is released in America. Notes: coconut, bitter almond, caraway, jasmine sambac, tuberose, cinnamon, moss, jacarander wood, vanilla, musk.

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

A winner in my book. This starts out nice and sweet, with lots of depth that includes beloved almond and root beer-like notes. It tones down to a rich, dry sweetness with caraway note most prominent on me. I get tons of compliments wearing this. Just perfect for cold weather. The bottle is beautiful as well.
Have to say to the reviewer below who says, "something about this reminded me of old people...and that is never a good thing!" should really rethink her views or keep them to herself.

Popular Fragrances