MAC Lustre Capricious

MAC Lustre Capricious

4.3

on 1/30/2017 9:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I really like this. I've a very pale, cool-toned complexion with pale lips and any solid, opaque pinks (or currently trendy browns) never really look like 'nude lipstick' on me. They're not neutral, they're A Look. Which is very frustrating, since I like wearing a variety of elaborate, sparkly, colourful eye looks and I've been looking for a lipstick I can just throw on regardless of what's on my eyes for quite a while. This, however ... this actually does what a nude's supposed to do. It mimics the look of lush, flushed, naturally pigmented and hydrated lips. I've bought it a few months ago and I've been wearing it almost nonstop. If I'm not wearing a strong lip look, then I'm wearing this. I like the formula; it's very smooth, very pleasant to wear, and unlike most sheer lipsticks out there, creamy and not overly wet or sticky or glossy. It also applies very evenly and is buildable without getting streaky and patchy, which is also something most sheer lipsticks are prone to. Considering that this is a truly versatile lipstick, I'm happy to pay the price of it, too. It's definitely something I will use up to the last smear.

I've two minor gripes about it, though. Most of the time I don't wear foundation, and therefore I need a lipstick that's really feather-proof. This is the opposite of that. Considering the fact that I wear a lot of dark strong lipsticks without foundation as well and they either don't feather on me because they're good quality (Illamasqua, Urban Decay) or I can stop them from doing so by using a lipliner (Kiko, Rimmel). This is so sheer that using a lipliner totally changes the look of it. I've tried it with a universal lip liner and that was okay, but the extra step of having to put the lipliner on kinda defeats the purpose of this being a sheer, easy throw-it-on lipstick. The other gripe is that it's not very moisturising. It's so lush and wet-looking; I'd expect more moisture from it. It's not very drying or anything, but really, don't mistake it for a tinted lipbalm, because it's not. For the most part I'd say it leaves my lips in the exact state they were before I put it on. Let me make it clear: I don't consider these two things an objective fault with this lipstick, but they are the two things that bother me personally the most, and if you're someone with similar requirements to mine, you might want to know this.

I like the scent - not too overpowering, very pleasant vanilla. (I was very amused to discover that the fabled 'MAC lipstick scent' isn't really that unique; Kiko lipsticks smell extremely similar.) The packaging is, of course, sleek and gorgeous and vaguely, appealingly old-fashioned. I don't think there are any major faults to be found with MAC lipstick packaging, since it's been adored for so long. However, I would imagine that not being able to see immediately what shade the lipstick is can get extremely annoying very quickly. This is my first and so far my only MAC lipstick, so I can't speak from experience, but I do have two Sleek True Colour lipsticks with a similar problem with their packaging and I've mixed them up before, to the point of bringing the wrong one with me for the day and being unable to touch up what I was wearing. And keep in mind that Sleek puts colourful stickers on the bottom of their lipsticks, while MAC ones don't even have the colour on the stickers, just the name of the shade written out. It's not a huge gigantic problem, don't get me wrong, but I'm a regular person, 99% of the time I get ready in a hurry, and I need to be able to see quickly what shade is in what tube. Do better, MAC. It is, in fact, possible to make a classy-looking lipstick tube that nonetheless makes it clear what shade the lipstick is.

I'm knocking one lippie off for the issues with feathering, non-moisturising formula, and the slightly impractical packaging. On the whole, my experience with this lipstick was very positive and I would most likely buy it again. I would like to warn everyone who has naturally very pigmented lips and/or is dark-skinned: try swatching this on your lips in a store, because I can't imagine it would do much for you except make your lips shiny. Which is the effect you can get from any shiny lipbalm.

on 1/14/2017 8:38:00 AM

I'm starting to become a little addicted to Mac lipsticks and this has to be my favourite so far. I love plum coloured lipsticks with a bit of shine but I'm really fussy and it Ive had a hard time finding the perfect one since Clinique discontinued my favourite one! I find some look the perfect colour in the tube but look really dark and vampish and are a bit too dense looking when you put them on your lips. This is just so wearable and because it's a lustre shade it has a lovely sheen to it and it also feels very nourishing on the lips. Please keep making this!

I hope they never discontinue this shade. It may not be the most mentioned MAC lipstick and might not look like anything special from the tube, but to me, this color is so versatile. One swipe and I can wear this as an every day look, or wear it over Plum lip liner for evening. Absolutely gorgeous shade either way. And I love the texture of this lipstick - never drying with a semi shine. Gorgeous!! :)

on 11/25/2015 12:19:00 PM

Couldn't love this lip color any more :)
It is definitely a lip color you can wear anywhere at anytime w any look
My lips can get chapped esp in the cold here in Canada but honestly it doesn't even chap my lips. .it has a moisturizing feel to it.
It's a color that everyone must have ! It's not too bold and not too boring.

OMG I LOVE THIS! It reminds me of Kate WInslet in Titanic... Romantic, beautiful and classic, every girl should have it in their arsenal.

on 9/1/2015 7:24:00 AM

I wanted a plum lipstick and was introduced to this. But this looks like a dark plum. Something for fall. Overall a dull color. I didnt like it. I prefer Mac`s Plumful. It has red undertones and suits me better. Only the luster finish is nice.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

New color that I'm obsessed with. On my pale skin, this reads as kind of a pinky red... correction, a fabulous pinky red! I'm not sure why this color doesn't get more reviews or feedback online. If I could make this a cult fav. for everyone I would. It is supposed to be color worn by someone on a tv show (Once or something) regularly. I found it by trying on shades at a MAC counter. It is a frost, so not overly intense which kind of is why I like this shade so much. Very buildable. Purchased with the Soar pencil. Perfection! So glad I found this one! LOVE it! Bought one and then went back and bought another for my purse.

on 3/4/2015 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

Capricious is a smoky, plummy rose colour with a hint of gold in it. On my lips it's the same colour as in the tube. It's incredibly wearable because as it's a lustre, it's not a heavy or matte lipstick. It's not quite sheer but its soft, moisturising and feels lovely on. Apparently MAC describes it as "demi-sheer" which is a good description for the finish. I always have a tube of Capricious in my handbag because it goes so well with most looks, wears well and makes my lips feel good.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

This shade is a pretty, muted reddish brown color which definitely isnt a nude but it's not BAM in your face ether. It's perfect to brighten your face for a casual day or a work day. I find it really wakes me up for a work day and flatters my face. I also love the lustre formula because it's not drying nor opaque. Don't expect more than 2 hour wear though, reapplication is necessary.

probably the only lustre i like the color id nice and it doesn't dry up like the others but i can find this color any brand not worth 16.00