Ben Nye Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner

Ben Nye Cake Eyeliner in black

4.2

Price: $

Price: $

Talc, Propylene Glycol, CL No. 7704 (Kaolin), PEG-8, PVP, Choleth-24, Ceteth-24, Emulsifying wax, Phenoxyethanol

I was under the impression that this would be at least water resistant... but this is the most smeary run-down-your-face eyeliner I've ever used, omg. If you get any sort of moisture near it, it will dissolve and get into your eyes. It's AWFUL! I'm so disappointed, because the reviews were perfect... I even used it with the Kryolan sealer, which has a 5 rating.

I'll be sticking with gels and pencils. Shame :(

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I use dark brown in my brows with the liquiset. Love the look it gives, and last all day. Love it.

on 7/14/2012 6:32:00 AM

I have experimented with pencil, gel and liquid liners. This cake eyeliner blows them all out of the water. I bought the black and eggplant cake liner along with Ben Nye Liquiset. The black is a matte black and the eggplant is a purple with a reddish tint.

Pros:
- Control: You can use this to make everything from delicate to dramatic looks. You can adjust the amount of liquid to change the pigmentation (it is very very pigmented).
- Longevity: With Liquiset, it lasts all day, even with my oily lids. There is absolutely no creasing or smudging through 14+ hour days.
- Ease of use: It takes a minimal amount of practice to work out how to best use water/liquiset to make the line you require with the least amount of mess. After that, it's as easy as can be. There's rarely a need to go over your line again, application is smooth, touching up is simple with a gentle eye makeup remover and Q-tip.
- Value for money: Each pot was about $7 and Liquiset cost $6. Each use makes the smallest of dents, so I envision that this will last me for years of daily use. It's not going to dry out as a liquid or gel liner might.
- No irritation: I have quite sensitive eyes and eyelids and I've yet to experience even the slightest irritation.

Cons: These really aren't cons to me, but they may influence some people
- Portability: It's less convenient to carry around than a pencil, but if you're happy to use water instead of a sealant, then it's reasonable.
- Availability in Australia: As far as I know, it's significantly cheaper to buy from a website and pay for shipping than to buy it here.
- Colours available: There's only a few colours, unfortunately.

How I use it: I shake my Liquiset jar and open it up. I dip my clean ELF Studio Smudge/Precision brush or Ecotools Angled brush into the small amount of liquid stuck to the lid. I then apply as desired and clean off the lid with a Q-tip before closing it. I touch up if needed with some oil-free gentle eye makeup remover.

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Got this from my local theatre store since I've never used a cake liner before. Ben Nye has never really let me down before, but I really didn't like this. It's not a terrible product, but I feel it takes me forever to apply it. It dries out too quickly and I'm constantly reapplying a sealer. Not to mention it's not a very opaque liner, it's go on a little clear in some areas and then dark in others. Great liner for those willing to spend 20 minute applying it.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

love this product i use ben nye final seal to set it and it last all day and no raccoon eyes ..

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

It's my favourite eyeliner right now. I've been applying it daily for about 6 months now. It's soo dark and it comes on and off nicely. It doesn't cake and I usually wear it from around 10 a.m. till like 10 p.m. at night. It's really black and really easy to put on in my opinion, kinda like liquid eyeliner but way nicer. The only downside is that it comes off in water like if I was crying it'll leave a black tear streak on my face and I can't apply it to my waterline :c but overall it's soo great, I probably just need to buy the BenNye LiquiSet to go with it. So far I've been using the Medusa Eyeliner Seal.

Wow. Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! Thought I had....

Anyway, this is an aMAZing eyeliner. I can never do liquid liners quite right, but with a thin artist's brush (from a craft store!) and a drop of water, this stuff cannot be beat.

However, I use it every day with a small, tiny-tiny clinique brush I accidentally kept from something else by rubbing the brush back and forth DRY in the cake liner and then on my lids. It's a much softer look, which I need being super fair and blonde. The black liquid version of this is great, but not for daily wear. I love both options, though. I love this product so much, in fact, I just ordered the Eggplant version of this and will review it soon. Note - you can buy the Professional size of the black and brown cake liners for like 8 bucks and I feel confident it will truly last you years.

on 10/27/2007 4:44:00 PM

I now exclusively use this as my liquid eyeliner.

The price for this generous long lasting pot is only $5-6!! I would never find anything in Sephora for that price!

I use black and it is a rich, true pigmented black. Perfect! I was using so many other liners that are 'watery', like L'Oreal Voluminous marker eyeliner, and odd off blacks that are more brown or blue.

I bought this at Alcone with their eyeliner brush and it was so easy to put on! I'm not kidding, I was astounded at myself at how well I put it on. I've always had so much trouble with all those felt tip pens, Lancome's Artliner, and chunky markers, L'oreal's Voluminous marker, as well as those tiny brushes. Using the proper tools made this soo much better and I can control the width of the line a lot better.

It is not water proof, but so long as you don't get caught in the rain or cry you'll be ok. In any case, I put my sister's She Laq just in case for a concert I went to and it didn't move, and we got caught in the rain.

I'm officially giving up my fascination with Sephora and so called 'high end' makeup in favor of theater makeup like Ben Nye and Kryolan.

Just wanted to add, this is apparently a fav staple of many makeup artists.

EDIT: I don't think they make this in a dark navy blue. I tried looking at several sites and they don't seem to have it. Wish they did tho!

This is my HG black eyeliner. I adore how versatile it is. I can use it
with fine eyeliner brush and a drop of water for a dramatic, precise, winged, very long-lasting cat-eye
with a square eyeliner brush to tightline and subtly enhance my lashline
with a rounded smoker brush to feather the line out and make a smokey eyeBest of all, for $8 CAD, I get enough eyeliner that I'll probably be using this baby for the next 12 years! And I use it almost every day. Forget smudgey pencils, forget Fluidline, forget messy liquid eyeliners, there's just nothing better than this eyeliner. continued >>