LUSH American Cream

3.4

* Honey Water (Mel Aqua), * Vanilla Pod Infusion (Vanilla planifolia), * Propylene Glycol, * Fresh Oranges (Citrus dulcis), * Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, * Fresh Strawberries (Fragaria vesca), * Perfume, * Lanolin, * Cetrimonium Bromide, * Cetearyl Alcohol, * Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), * Clary Sage Oil (Salvia sclarea), * Lavender Oil (Lavandula hybrida), * Benzoin Resinoid (Styrax benzoin), * *Linalool, * Coumarin.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

-Gorgeous smell
-Works really well, seemingly for all hair types
-Smells lingers throughout the next few days

8/10

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I bought this on a whim, despite knowing of all the bad press this product has gotten. I loved the smell and I've been looking for a conditioner to pair with Lush's Rehab shampoo I've been using for the past few months. I have thick, naturally curly shoulder length hair and using a conditioner really helps my curls form nicely and stay bouncy. Even though I was expecting this product to not work out for me, I was planning on just using it as a shaving cream because the smell is as good as everyone says it is. It's very similar to Lush's Shimmy Shimmy body tint bar.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well this product works. I used it on the ends of my hair and on my bangs after washing my hair in the shower and let it set for about a minute before I washed it out. I will say it did take a while to completely wash it out. Afterwards, I brushed my hair and I noticed that even though my hair was still wet, my hair still had noticeable formed curls and wasn't flat like it would usually be after a shower. Once it had dried, my hair was soft, my curls were beautifully formed and not frizzy or flat and my hair smelled amazing all day! This product works really well for my hair and I'm really glad I purchased it and I would definitely buy it again. However, I think it's a pretty hit and miss product. For some people it's their HG, for others it's a complete nightmare, so I can't really recommend it per se. If you think it's something you'd like, ask for a tester to see if it works with your hair.

While it is a bit pricey, I personally think it's worth it. Yes, I could get the same effect for a fraction of the price in the supermarket but I feel like because it is a vegan product with ethically sourced ingredients the price is pretty reasonable. The reason the supermarket conditioner only costs a euro or two is because the ingredients are easily accessible ( i.e, non-vegan, animal tested, parabens, ect. ). It's definitely not cheap, but I don't think the price for the 100g bottle I got is completely outrageous for what it is. 100g really goes a long way if you use it right. With any conditioner you have to make sure you only use a little and only put it on your ends, and then wash it out well. If you don't, then that's what makes your hair flat, dry and tangled afterwards.

In conclusion, I personally found this product to be fantastic and I'll definitely repurchase. However, I would recommend you get a tester before buying. This conditioner acts differently on everyone's hair and because it is a bit pricey, you should make sure it works with yours before you buy a bottle.

To Read all 504 Reviews, Login or Join

This conditioner is crap ! I was given samples of this yesterday at lush.
I have very long thick dry damaged ( only from the past Bc I no longer use much heat. ) I don't wash my hair unless I have my products otherwise my hair will always be super tangly and hard to manage. I was impressed with the sales rep that was told me that in the beginning the people behind lush were first hair gurus so as I explain how particular I am about hair care he gave me some samples of this conditioner and I love juicy shampoo. I used them today and both were very dry which I expected from a shampoo but the conditioner? My hair was super tangly after I washed it out. I wasn't crazy about the smell either it's too much. smells like vanilla cream and maybe orange cicle mixed together
.actually giving me a headache sitting here writing this review ugh.
I am currently using Paul Mitchell lavender mint shampoo and conditioner because it's super conditioning for me. I am so glad I didn't buy this. Especially with how expensive it was OMG.
My hair feels really dry right now
. Thank god for its a 10 leave in conditioner. I would skip this all together if u have long thick hai like me Bc it's not moisturizing or smoothing at all.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Well, let me tell you, I spent a pretty penny on this during a manic PMS episode when my sanity was compromised. I will not tell you how much I spent for my 16 oz bottle, but just know I spent more than I usually spend on the large sizes of the biolage duo that i use.

Anyway... It is NOT worth that. However, I was enticed by the reviews of the smell and the great conditioning it does for hair. The smell was something I just had to know for myself, because the reviews are almost all good. I have been looking for great smelling conditioners which will have long lasting staying power in my hair.... But which will also give very good conditioning. I get really tired of the smell of Biolage after 20 years of using it. Biolage smells wonderful, mind you, but I just get tired of it after awhile.

This definitely does that ... The scent lasts and lasts and lasts. But unfortunately I am confused about what it really smells like and if I even like the scent. To be perfectly honest, my first reactions to the scent were bad... It smelled like a concentrated version of baby aspirin (it smelled like baby aspirin tastes... and though baby aspirin tastes sort of good to me, it isnt a smell I would lust after... not one bit). In my case, (and in the bottle I own) the strawberry was upfront, very sharp, and I detected NO soft, creamy, vanilla milkshake to cut through the acidic strawberry. And I hate to say it but the strawberry itself smelled fake and strange to me.

I was, however, pleasantly surprised by the conditioning this did for my hair. WOW. It is really a huge gamble for me when I diverge from Biolage balm. Nothing works as beautifully for my hair as Biolage. But American Cream gave me some very good results, better than most conditioners. Not better than Biolage, but pretty excellent nontheless.
My hair is soft, super shiny, good body (not great, but pretty good), great slip, not oily looking AT ALL. My hair basically feels great. And two days later it still smells strongly of baby aspirin (lol, JK... it actually smells much better now. It smells clean, with strawberry and a bit of vanilla now).

Would I buy it again? Yes, certainly, if it were 16$ a bottle I would. But as long as this is as, if not MORE expensive than my entire huge bottles of the Biolage Duo (which are worth every penny, and expensive) I will pass on this. It is not worth the money they charge for it, by a long shot, unless you are Paris Hilton.

I will savor this, and maybe use it as a leave in if I want the smell on my hair on certain days. And when i finish it, I will look back to it fondly.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

It smells great, don't lie to yourself. The performance is a bit over average, meaning it's good but it I left chemicals in my hair too long, this would not be my go to conditioner.

I agree with the other reviewer that said this is overpriced for so-so performance. It rinses clean and leaves my hair smooth, but any number of products could do that for half the price. And the scent becomes powerfully cloying after a while. Will not be repurchasing.

Garbage. Horrible ingredients, there is actually a surfactant in this! So expensive and I can't believe they have the gall to charge so much for this. I loved the name and the promise of a yummy strawberry milkshake scent but the smell isn't that great either.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This was sold to me on the claim that it was the most moisturizing for my dry, curly hair. Lies! Happy Happy Joy Joy actually turned out to be much more moisturizing and actually left my hair in BETTER condition than this did. American Cream made my hair look a bit straw-like, like, dried ends poking out everywhere. Happy Happy joy joy left it smoothed down, this made it frizz!!!!!! This isn't meant to be a comparison, really, but the saleslady told me that American Cream was far more moisturizing than HHJJ, and that the latter was only suited to oily hair.
I have tried leaving it in for longer (5-10 minutes) as well as just applying and rinsing off after a couple of minutes. Neither way does it, for my hair. It happens to contain SLS in the middle of the ingredients list, which is bizarre. Especially considering that all of LUSH shampoos have SLS already, either relatively HIGH up in the ingredients list, or as the very first/second ingredient. If you used this in conjunction with a LUSH shampoo (as i was doing--Godiva), it is not good...at all.
A complete waste of money. I should have asked for a sample instead of trusting all the positive reviews.
P.S. I think the fragrance sucks. It is not strawberry vanilla, but a nasty salty-smelling herbal sort of abomination. I was willing to ignore it if the conditioner worked but it doesn't, so...
P.P.S. I have also used this with a moisturizing treatment beforehand, and it seems to suck out the moisture and re-frizz my hair, which the treatment doesn't do on its own!

I'm currently on my fourth bottle of American Cream. What keeps me coming back is the smell, and that's about it. It definitely isn't as rich as they let on, and it doesn't work as well as cheap conditioners you can get at the supermarket. I find my hair is always very knotty when I've used it, which ends up resulting in breakage. Kind of the opposite of what you want a conditioner to do. The price is also a disadvantage, very expensive for what it is.

But that being said, I did say I was on my fourth bottle. I can't get over the smell. I've, personally, never found a better smelling conditioner. And the scent lingers in your hair for quite a long time.

American Cream is a fantastic conditioner for my long, healthy, uncoloured hair. It is quite a medium strength conditioner (I disagree with Lush's claim that it is very strong) and is free from silicones. It absorbs into my hair easily, and even though I have long hair I do not need to use too much product. A little goes a long way, which is good as it is quite pricey. It leaves my hair feeling light but not dry, easy to comb and looking shiny and healthy. It is a lovely quality conditioner. One thing I love about American Cream is the scent. The scent smells very malty, like a vanilla-malt milkshake with a hint of strawberry. It is very sweet and delicious. The scent has excellent staying power! I find that the scent stays in my hair for at least one and a half days which is incredible. I have no idea how Lush does it! One tip I have for this product is to let it sink in for at least five minutes before rinsing it out. This will help it to penetrate the hair and moisturise it more effectively. I love this paired with Lush's Honey I Washed My Hair solid shampoo. However, I will admit that this product might not be suitable for those with extremely dry or coarse hair or for those who need a heavy-duty conditioner.