Sonia Kashuk Assorted Brushes

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Sonia Kashuk Assorted Brushes

4.2

on 2/10/2018 2:34:00 PM

This review refers to the brushes sold individually with the curvy black handles.

I started collecting these maybe ten years ago. In that time, I have also amassed a collection of IT, real techniques, and Sephora brushes. I always come back to these. Why?

Excellent quality and very little if any breakage with proper care. I use Parian spirit cleanser and it does the job. I prefer the version with the black ferrules (as opposed to gold) just for aestetics. They fit beautifully in the hand and have a great weight and balance.

The small multipurpose powder brush is my favorite eyeshadow blending brush of all time. It is the perfect shape and size. I am not very good with blending, but this makes the job so much easier. That brush was discontinued some time ago but you can still find them on eBay.

I also love the medium eyeshadow (white goat) brush, the medium fluffy (squirrel) brush, and the synthetic multipurpose brush. In all, I have about 20 of these brushes, with only a few duplicates.

Including:
large tapered powder
Synthetic flat top multipurpose (foundation)
domed multipurpose (white)
Synthetic foundation
Angled multipurpose
Dense blush/powder
Brow groomer/comb

I fear they are being discontinued as they are on clearance in the store and the Sonia Kashuk brushes page on target.com has been taken down.

Get em while you can. They are beautiful, useful, and downright cheap for the quality,

on 6/14/2015 3:08:00 PM

This review is for the black handled "medium multipurpose powder brush." I'm still figuring out makeup, so I'm no makeup brush connoisseur, but I didn't like this brush. I use it to apply powder or to brush off excess powder after applying it with a puff. My main gripe is that the bristles are constantly falling out while I'm using it. To me it says the brush is low quality, and it's also a pain to pick all the little black bristles off my face after applying makeup.

The only white handled one I own is the mascara/brow wand. It has held up well and I am prone to abusing my brushes. *cringes* Even the natural hair ones.
The only black handled one I own is the Synthetic Flat Top Multipurpose No. 4. Seriously soft, and it works with any product I have dipped it into.
I also own the Into the Woods collection, now called "Straight From Nature." I first bought them when they came out in aproximately 2009. The only reason they shed was because I left them dirty and in storage jumbled in the box for a few months whilst I sorted an allergy. They still retain their shape after washing and healthy doses of Redken Extreme Anti Snap leave in, and the shedding has ceased after the broken bristles have come out.
I broke down and purchased the 15th Anniversary set. It is every bit as good as I thought. You can do anything from daily wear to costume applications.
I wouldn never hesitate to arm your vanity with these. Save and then splurge on the black handled ones and collections.

I bought a whole set of brushes, for a pretty decent price. I got the white handled ones and I hate them. The big fluffy face brush sheds like crazy. The 3 eye shadow brushes hurt. They scratch at my eyes and makes them irritated.
The only good brush is the angled eyeliner brush. I would buy that one brush again, separately. But not any of the eye shadow brushes.
Edit: some brushes are better than others!

on 1/18/2010 9:44:00 PM

Sigh. If only I had known about these years ago, before I bought all my MAC brushes. I find I reach for these daily, and will repurchase these in a heartbeat if they ever seem to deteriorate. Their quality is outstanding, bristles are packed tightly, and the brushes keep their shape, even after being cleaned. Love these:
Flat blush brush (I use it for foundation)
Large shadow brush
small shadow brush
Flat liner brush (PERFECT for tight lining upper lashes)
Concealer brush
Crease brush (white handle...perfect control, use this one alllll the time)

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I started with one brush, then went back a month later for more, and on and on until I wound up with the complete set. I picked up the white-handled skunk brush initially, as I didn't want to shell out the cash for MAC. I don't have the 187 or 188 to compare it to, but it works great for me. I got hooked and I kept on with the white brushes so they'd all match. There are 17 brushes in the collection: a powder brush, blush brush, angled contour brush, small, medium, and large shader brushes, a concealer brush, a bullet-shaped crease brush, medium and large foundation brushes, a spoolie, a lash/brow comb, angled liner brush, a "fluffy" shadow brush that's similar to the small shader but more dense, a crease brush, a stiff, thin pencil brush, and the highlighter skunk brush. The packaging leaves quite a bit to be desired, unfortunately. The black-handled brushes are sold in rounded hard plastic cases, but the white ones are in soft plastic sleeves that keep the brush heads rather flat. Most of the brushes didn't suffer for it, but the fluffy ones--powder, blush, highlighter, and contour--needed an overnight stay or two in brush guards after cleaning. After a couple of months, they're fine, but I'd rather not have had to do brush surgery right away.
There is minimal shedding with some of the brushes when they're washed, but none when I use them on my face. They aren't as dense as they could be, but the shading brushes are nice and firm and they all do the job well. I'm not completely sold on the foundation brushes. The bristles aren't the best-quality synthetic out there, and they work better for moisturizer or primer instead of foundation. The natural bristle brushes are some of the softest I've ever felt and apply like a dream.
Long story short, these brushes are a safe bet. They apply well, wash well, and dry relatively quickly. I keep hearing great things about the black-handled brushes, so I might retire these to travel and backup if they're worth it. Total cost of the 17 brushes was under $150, but that's including 10.25% sales tax. All in all a great buy.

on 11/6/2009 2:53:00 PM

I bought the sonia kashuk stippling brush thinking it would be good for foundation application and I did use it for awhile but decided to go back to my foundation brush because there was less blending to do with the foundation brush. But then I started using it for blush and I just love it!!!!! I use it everyday for blush and dont plan on buying any other blush brush!

on 10/24/2009 6:39:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I really am impressed with these brushes. I was looking for a good quality brush set that wasn't way out of my budget and I definitely found it in the Sonia Kashuk brush collection. I bought a 5 piece set with the black handles (the blush brush, angled eye shadow brush, small eye shadow brush, the eye brow/lash brush and the eye liner brush) plus 2 additional brushes (the crease brush and large eye shadow brush). While these cost nearly $50 for all, I think that's a great deal compared to some brushes that have that price for ONE! I am very happy with the softness as well. Initially I purchased them to use with a smashbox eye shadow kit I found on Sephora that will be arriving soon, but I couldn't wait. So I broke out the covergirl quad I have been using and tried the small/large eye shadow and crease brushes with it....I have to admit that the brushes make even a low end drugstore eyeshadow blend like a high quality one!!

on 12/13/2007 6:43:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine

I've been trying to figure out which brush set I purchased. I have a set of the short-handled white brushes--about 8 of them. I also have a few individual brushes in the long-handled black style.
The difference between the short-handled white brushes and the long-handled black ones is remarkable. The long-handled ones are so much better--they don't lose bristles and are quite soft. I took the set of brushes on a business trip recently, and they were terrible! They didn't disperse color properly, were scratchy and just plain bad! I was very disappointed because I had hoped to find a reasonably-priced set of brushes that I could keep just for travel. Instead, I'll keep packing and unpacking my regular brushes.
Stick to the long-handled brushes and don't buy the shorties!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I use the eyeshadow brushes. These brushes pick up and hold colors well and can withstand washing and foiling of eye shadow (applying it wet) while maintaining their original shape. I want to try some other brushes by Sonia such as a blush brush or powder brush because those I've tried have been easy-to-find at Target, of excellent product and packaging quality and a terrific, very reasonable, and very affordable price. I'll never buy Estee Lauder or any other expensive brand brushes again because if I can find great quality and price convieniently and without breaking the bank; what's the point?

Popular Makeup Brushes