Lanvin Arpege

Lanvin Arpege

4.1

Alcohol Denat. (SD Alcohol 39-C) - Parfum (Fragrance) - Aqua (Water) - Linalool - Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone - Coumarin - Cetronellol - Hydroxycitronellal - Limonene - Benzyl Benzoate - Geraniol - Butylphenyl Methylpropional - Cinnamyl Alcohol - Eugenol - Benzyl Alcohol - Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde - Benzyl Salicylate - Farnesol - Citral - Isoeugenol - Cinnamal

on 5/5/2017 1:53:00 AM

This is the original Arpege scent and, in my opinion, the most romantic in the world. Hard to find at times, but well worth it. If you try the Eclat version, just know that it is not 'the' Arpege.

I remember my mom wearing this as a child. I also remeber the slogan promise her anything, but give her Arpege. My mom got this in the 70's and I remember smelling this in the 80's and it's always reminded me of good things and my mother. So I decieded to get a bottle for myself and her. I really enjoy this fragrence on me it dries down to a lovely floral with something more to it. The jasmine is something I can definitely smell. I like scents like patchouli and I also like florals and to me this is exactly what those 2 together would smell like. On me there is a powdery ness to the floral but it's really nice.

I love just smelling it! Even before the dry down I enjoy the scent it's strong, woodsy, and just nostalgic to me. I love the bottle and since the reformulation I have read on a lot of blogs that Arpege does not age well. So if you find a vintage bottle and you don't like it wait for the top notes to disapate because it might smell amazing after. I have smelled the vintage and this reformulation and it's still Arpege to me. It still has that something that always draws me to this scent. It's complex yet wonderful in so many ways. This is my Fall/Winter scent without a doubt. Recommended!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Happy with it

on 10/24/2014 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Oh how I'll sing the praises of this fragrance.

All the sumptuous quality of a Louise Brooks black and white.

It lasts and lasts, and has both a classic character to it, as well as tropical and pretty.

A noble beauty in black.

on 10/25/2014 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Lanvin Arpege Eau de Parfum

Price: $30 for 50 mL ($60/100 mL) at Chemist Warehouse.

Longevity: This stays on your skin forever. Like I can sleep with it on and wake up and smell it. I can spray it on the morning and still smell traces of it in the evening.

This is the first fragrance I have ever had. I wanted something cheap but classic as well. It smells expensive, strong and mostly like jasmine but warm still as well.

on 11/16/2014 3:02:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I believe that my bottle is an older reformulation, but I am not sure if it is post 1993 reformulation. Apparently post 1993 arpege was considered to be similar to Chanel 5, but warmer. I find that both Arpege and chanel 5 vintage edc are sharp aldehydic floral fragrances on me (perhaps skin chemistry is the issue). I prefer Guerlains treatment of Aldehydes (I love Chamade extrait), but I have not tried the Guerlain counterpart to arpege which I think would be Vega.

Two stars for fragrances that I believe are meritorious but not to my taste. Please note though that aldehydic florals are not my favored category: I generally wouldn't choose any of them, even ones like Amouage Gold or EL vintage beautiful, which I think are very different (more effervescent, more floral) than Arpege (darker, woodier, more an abstract rendition of floral).

on 8/9/2013 4:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I usually love aldehydes, #5, le dix, L'Aimant but this one is too indolic for me too wear.

I just picked up a bottle of Arpege at an estate sale. My plans were to sell it, but I don't think I can part with it. It's not really vintage, perhaps ten years old, but it is absolutely beautiful. It almost made me cry it is so beautiful. Why, do you ask? I have hundreds of samples and I smell all the new releases. This Arpege smells of another time when perfumes were rich and complex and had wonderful character. It is strong at first, then settles comfortably and elegantly on my skin like it belongs there. I could wear this anywhere and with anything and feel fabulous. Not grand standing fabulous, just classy and comfortable in my skin fabulous.

You young ones tread carefully with Arpege. You may have to earn her or you may think she is to "much" for you. That's okay, you will eventually want a real perfume and then you will know, yes you will know.

This perfume has definitely been reformulated, it's so toned down from what I remember as a kid. My mother had the original and I recollect Arpege had more of a bite in the opening notes than it does now, sort of like Chantilly perfume. Lanvin Arpege and My Sin were one of the first high end brand perfumes I experienced as a kid, my mom had these little bottles around and I would play with them all the time and wear Arpege to bed! lol ... That's how I recognize the change in it, the new one is similar but a lot softer and much more wearable as another reviewer had mentioned. Brings back memories :))

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I can't say enough good things about Arpege. I have never smelled the original pre-reformulation one, but all fragrances are tweaked here and there over the years (whether they publicize it or not), so each bottle will be slightly different from the last anyway, perceptibly or not. I started wearing this in the mid-nineties. It's definitely a little different now, but it's quite true to the feeling it had then, and it's definitely recognizably Arpege.

The comparisons to Chanel no. 5 are merited only in that the belong to the same fragrance category. Because true floral-adehydics are so rare now, they seem more similar to each other than to anything else on the market. I find them to be very different from each other, but for the sake of describing Arpege, a comparison to something people are sure to have smelled is very useful.

Both Arpege and Chanel no. 5, at the start, are loudly aldehydic and sparkle in a nearly piercing, aggressively fluffy way -- a quality that I looooove in perfumes. But while the Chanel is all about a much softer melding of aldehydes with jasmine and ylang ylang, Arpege has a much more baroque and rich pairing of lily-of-the-valley and neroli with its aldehydes. The effect is like blindingly white, raunchy flowers, electric pink spice, and the feeling of heavy gold jewelry on the skin. Arpege also has a whole lot more of a base, with rich, dry and woody sandalwood, cedar, oakmoss and golden vanilla that eventually softens to a languid, creamy amber. It's rare and wonderful to find a vintage type scent that has a ton of wood and vanilla, but that's not in the least syrupy sweet, and that's also not a parched leathery scent. The ingredients smell of extraordinary quality (but not of wealthiness), which I really appreciate considering how very cheaply it can be bought, and a single spritz shared between two wrists and a decollete will afford you with a subtle but wide sillage for at least five hours, and more than ten hours of presence closer to the skin.

Arpege is a very unique mix of two feelings: the floral aldehydes give it a fluffy, angora sweatered, deep red lipsticked vavoom that seems deeply lodged in an era of sexed up screen sirens and femme fatales, while all those rich, dry woods, oakmoss and vanilla give it a deep and contemplative feeling that would be equally at home in an ancient aristocratic setting. Arpege is sort of like watching someone like Gene Tierney play a reserved but secretly lustful young Victorian era heroin who lived in a 16th century castle. It's the Golden Era's version of timelessly ancient, and though it's very, very French, Hollywood's most iconic stars made it their own -- Marilyn was said to wear Arpege, as did Jayne Mansfield and her famous cleavage, as well as Grace Kelly, which just shows its range. It belongs equally at the Woolworths counter with killer heels and a cold bottle of coke sipped through a straw, and in an ancient European church, listening to someone play Chopin's etudes with the sound of rain hitting the stained glass outside. This fragrance is very, very me, and I am desperately happy that it's still on the market. Nothing else satisfies my aldehyde craving like Arpege, and nothing else smells like it.

Popular Fragrances