Dior Miss Dior

Filtered by skin type : Other

3.8

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I love vintage perfumes, especially chypres and leathers. I have far too large a collection, but there was a Miss Dior-shaped hole in it. I'm a little surprised at myself that it took so long to get it, as much as I love Cabochard, Y, Azuree, Givenchy III...you get the picture.
This absence dates back to around 2000, when I first seriously started collecting and wearing vintages. I tried a huge spray of Miss Dior (before there were any Cheries or other flankers - this was IT) and recoiled. It was far too much of everything that my poor ignorant nose knew nothing of: oakmoss, bergamot, leather, powder-florals, patchouli - what can seem dated, and at the time that is the only aspect I saw of Miss Dior.
Last week I tried the current version, just to see - now called Miss Dior Originale. Wow. Even in its current formulation, what I now got was beautiful spare sophistication - filling my imagination with a sense of absolute elegance. When you take the lens of time and fashion from these older scents and experience them on their own terms, they have so much to give.
I'm now the lucky owner of a stunning vintage Miss Dior edt from the 80s - a new favourite piece of art in my collection.

1) Wonderful for overcast days and congested sinuses.
2) Has a very specific mood, upper-crusty, cerebral and melancholic (from a time melancholy wasn't a shame to be obscured by pharmaceuticals).
3) Not for teenyboppers and girls who want to appear all clean, candylike and cheerful.
4) Haunting mix of moss, greens, patchouli and woods.
5) Strongly reminiscent of Guerlain's Vol de Nuit - but less floral and soft.
6) Use a light hand!

This is a classic fragrance for the woman with class and elegance and yet, a woman who is approachable. It goes on with a bang of greens and florals and aldehydes, but the drydown IS TO DIE FOR :) I rue the day it is no longer available

As someone who can remember how wonderful this perfume used to be, I can best describe how I feel about it now in in the following description. The current version is but a black and white photograph compared to how it used to be in glorious colour. No comparison. And a great pity. Some reformulated fragrances compare quite favourably to the originals, not so with Miss Dior.

This perfume is lovely. Unfortuately, it doesn't last on me more than hour. Sob. I've not had this problem with perfume before. I put it down to skin chemistry and bad luck.

Well, my string of admiration for Diors had to end sometime, I guess, and Miss Dior was the proverbial straw. On the other hand, maybe I am just not able to understand its charms. Anyways, to me, Miss Dior smelled very powdery, oakmossy and ***ahem*** “old-fashioned” (I believe that is the politically correct term nowadays). As far as comparisons go, it is very similar to Ma Griffe but not as pleasant/interesting as Ivoire. Good sillage.

Otherworldly. Provokes intense nostalgia. Long ago, the face of a new plastic doll, which smelled sweet and addictive. You wished the elusive scent would never dissipate, but you knew it would, so you buried your nose in the plastic and breathed deeply. Only some toys had this scent. Most didn't, but you knew it when you found one because you couldn't stop sniffing it.
(Was it the type of plastic? Or did the toy manufacturers of that era scent their plastic with a Miss Dior knockoff?) You will never know.
Miss Dior is greater than the sum of its parts. Exotic florals, well-rounded oakmoss, delicious labdanum. But where is that fruitiness coming from? If it were a color and a taste, it would be pale, pastel yellow artificial banana candy. Drives me crazy.

I just get the feeling that this is what Aromatics Elixir wanted to be when she grew up, but she fell in with the wrong crowd, the tawdry group, the loud boisterous ones who wear too much of everything. Miss Dior is merely a scent fraction of Aromatics Elixir. Fortunately it's the fractional part of AE that I love. AS another said, it is something like Dioressence, but I'd say it's a shadow of Dioressence, not a competitor. Basically this Miss Dior is a little potion of mossy tobacco and leather notes, with sage and jasmine-rose accents. She doesn't screech a lot of flowery middle notes or sweet top notes. Subdued subdued subdued. A scent for a rainy day and a game of chess.

For fans of Guerlain Vol de Nuit, Caron Alpona etc. A timeless floral chypre that is always elegant, always appropriate whatever the occasion.

Top Notes: Bergamot, aldehydes, clary sage, gardenia, galbanum

Heart Notes: Rose, jasmine, lily of the valley, carnation, orris

Base Notes: Patchouli, oakmoss, amber, vetiver, sandalwood, leather.

I absolutely love this unique chypre-floral scent. On me it starts with a very powerdy yet not overpowering, soft top note with a little green and sweet (gardenia) then develops into a sweet floral heart note. Becuase of oakmoss base note, Miss Dior is not cloying at all and still retains its freshness in the dominant sweet floral note. Classical, sophisticated chypre-floral. Definitely will repurchase in the future.

Popular Fragrances