Paul Mitchell sculpting foam

Paul Mitchell sculpting foam
sculpting foam

4.2

Not tested on animals

Water, Polyquaternium 11, Isobutane, Propane, Panthenol, Wheat Germamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate, Bisamino PEG/PPG 41/3 Aminoethyl PG Propyl Dimethicone, Hedychium Coronarium (White Ginger) Extract, PEG 12 Dimethicone, Algae Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Cetrimonium Bromide, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Oleth 20, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance, Benzyl Alcohol, Coumarin

on 4/21/2017 10:11:00 AM

It is hard to give a fully informed opinion on how well the product works because the dispenser broke the fourth time I used it. This is how I discovered that Paul Mitchell has decided to deal with its contract issues with its distributors by refusing to stand behind products that are sold by sellers it doesn't deem to be "authorized" to sell its products even though the sales are legal. I bought mine new directly from Amazon (my salon doesn't sell products of any kind) which has offered it since 2004 (and sells many other Paul Mitchell products). Paul Mitchell is happy to take your money from these sales but disclaims responsibility even for mechanical defects. It apparently believes that punishing innocent customers is the easiest way to deal with distributor disputes.

on 3/23/2016 4:20:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

With this foam, I can go from my naturally wavy hair to people asking me if I got a perm. I def. recommend for people with wavy or curly hair. It helps control frizz. I love the scent. I think I detect some coconut scent in there. Very good stuff!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Love this for my thick wavy hair! Leaves my hair shiny , smooth but still has body! Would def recommend!

on 2/26/2015 6:50:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have 2c, coarse, low porosity, normal elasticity and low-med density hair.

This gives my waves great definition, nice body and shine. It doesn't give my root as much lift as Suave, though it still does give my hair a good volume. But on the flipside, the shine I get from this product is insane and the definition is as great. I find my waves get a bit tighter with this in comparison to Suave. So I found this great to use in high humidity and temperature.
The mousse also doesn't dry crunchy nor does it make my waves look wet. You can use too much and makes your hair dries slightly crunchy, but a bit fluffing at the roots and/or a dab of oil resolves the issue.
This foam makes my wave bouncy, defined, soft and shiny.

This foam is CG-friendly with water soluble -cones and polyquats. Some hair may easily experience buildup with the latter, but clarifying will fix it easily. I personally don't have much problem with it.

I love that Paul Mitchell is available around the world. So, should I move somewhere else in the coming years, I know that I can still find it.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have tried a lot of products but this blew me away!
I first applied the shea moisture curl and style milk and then applied generous amounts of this mousse but my curls have never looked better. The mousse doesnt dry out my hair and keeps it shiny and curly all throughout the day. Definately buying it again

on 6/22/2014 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I love this foam......its better than any i have tried, when I do my hair curley this is what I use
gives lots of volume and body, my hair is on the fine side...great for curley girls.

on 4/18/2014 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Love it. I have fairly thick hair (that I get thinned by my hairstylist) that is slightly to moderately wavy (more wavy in the back, annoyingly straight on one side). I like to use this (and mousse in general) as a scrunching product to tighten and hold my waves.

In the morning, I take a flat brush, soak in water, and brush through my (dry) hair until it's damp (not soaking but not dry). Then I squirt about half an egg-size dollop of this stuff in my hand and scrunch my hair from the ends up. I let it dry and voila! Instantly more "put together" and less "I just got out of bed."

*Note: This stuff doesn't come out like fluffy mousse, if you're used to volumizing mousses that sit in a stiff pile on your hand. It comes out runny--almost to the point you may think something's wrong with the bottle you got. But once you get used to this, no biggie. I think it may have to do with the fact that it's more conditioning, less volumizing.

I love the smell--it's almost coconutty without being cloying. It actually reminds me of when my mom used to take us to Fantastic Sam's as a kid to get haircuts before picture day at school. I like it!

But what I love most is the feel of my hair when I use it...as long as I don't put too much or don't accidentally put it on dry sections of hair, it's not crunchy like most mousses. It's very soft and almost makes it look like "This is just what I look like when I wake up every day." Doesn't look product-y. Doesn't weigh my hair down--stays very bouncy. And it lasts pretty much all day, hold-wise.

My old go-to was Tresemme (the heat mousse with the red cap), which is obviously more affordable since I run out of mousse about once a month or two, but when I can afford this again I'll definitely repurchase. Makes my hair look and feel great, and no gunky build-up.

My one and ONLY complaint is about the packaging (and I hate when people downgrade a product's entire rating for a packaging issue, so I didn't take off any lippies for this)...The first week I had this, I dropped it and the cap cracked. It worked ok for a while still, but then last week I dropped it again (I'm clumsy) and the whole dang spray nozzle came all the way off. Now, I have to hold it on with both fingers to get any to come out, which is kind of a pain for a $25 hair product :( Wish the packaging was a bit sturdier...Also wish this came in travel size!

----
Edit: I'm now at the end of this bottle and it seems to dry crunchier. I saw some photos of when I had this in and my hair looked frizzy and dirty. I've gone back to Organix curl cream for scrunching/styling my loose waves, which feels more hydrating and looks more natural. Not impressed with many PM products I've tried since, either.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a truly wonderful mousse. It conditions, just like it says, and so it leaves my hair wavy, bouncy, and soft. It is flexible and brushable. I'd definitely re-purchase.

on 1/9/2014 6:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

The Sculpting Foam is excellent for setting wet, freshly washed hair on rollers and for wrapping hair also. Using this product cuts some of the time from sitting under the dryer also as it dries fairly quicker in hair than setting lotions will. This isn't really crispy and crunchy in the hair either nor is it flaky and messy.

Quite nice actually but pricey as only salons sell it.

on 4/18/2013 7:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is a curly haired fave. But with my uber fine waves that I encourage into curls, this is just too much for me. It does feel nice and smell wonderful. But it is just too heavy for my fine locks and ends up weighing everything down. Now, my DH who has coarse, tight curly hair, loves this stuff. He has gone through cans and cans of it. The scent is just a nice coconut, not too girly. He loves the moisture and heft to smooth his hair down & take out fuzzies. So if you have tight curls and/or very thick coarse hair, you probably love this. If you are fine haired...probably going to be too much.

Popular Styling Products