Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat

Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat
Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat

4.1

Ethyl Acetate, SD Alcohol 40-B, Butyl Acetate, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Acrylates Copolymer, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Triphenyl Phosphate, Sucrose Benzoate, Nitrocellulose, Etocrylene, Benzophenone-1, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Saccharide Isomerate, Algae Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Water, Hydrolyzed Rice Bran Protein, Violet 2.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Insta-Dri was one of my first quick-dry top coats back in the day, but I stopped using it several years ago because it lifted color (there's a reason it's in a red bottle), it often peeled and, as with all Sally Hansen top coats I have tried, it often caused noticeable shrinkage, and rarely made it to the halfway mark before the polish got so thick and goopy that it was unusable. I swore I'd never buy it again, but I received a bottle of this, along with two Sally Hansen polishes, from a secret pal at work recently, so I gave it another try.

I'm happy to report that my experience this time has been much better. I used it over a Sally Hansen polish, and my mani has lasted, with only minimal touchups, for five days and counting. Thankfully the peeling problem seems to have been corrected, because that hasn't happened yet. It still lifts color just a tad when it's applied, but nothing to write home about. Best of all, there seems to be no shrinkage at all. It's too soon to tell whether it will last more than halfway through the bottle, though, but I'll edit if that happens.

on 2/2/2018 1:25:00 PM

This is HG & IMO BETTER than seche vite bc it causes NO shrinkage & is cheaper & does not get thick half way through the bottle. With either one of them, I use a top coat the day after mani for longevity. I also wear gloves to do dishes.

on 11/12/2017 7:21:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm not totally mad at it...but my expectations were super high... mwah mwaaaaah... I polish and wait put it on as per directions...and it does indeed dry to the touch...but not enough for me to actually do stuff..or it slides all the polish up my nail...kind of like the cheese moving to one side of the pizza!So.... it is just o.k..in my opinion...and if I figure out a way to make it work, I will certainly update.. I think I am going to try Essie's good to go when this bottle becomes too gloppy to use ( I can get it discounted so it's cheaper than the Sally Hansen..)

on 10/20/2017 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

Three lippies because it does the job and dries instantly. However this top coat peels and any claim of no chip shine for 10 days is completely false. It takes me one to two days after painting before it starts peeling which is not good at all for my nails because i tend to pick at polish. Also once it gets to about halfway the polish starts to gets very thick and leaves your nails with bubbles. I will not be buying again.

on 4/13/2017 12:08:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Absolute A+! I've started doing my nails at home to save time and money, but I my polish took so long to dry that it always had a smudge or two and just didn't look professional. If I did my nails any time in the evening, I always woke with sheet imprints. I was hesitant to try this because I had previously tried some quick dry drops from Orly, which were awful. But the Nail Board gave this such high ratings, I finally caved. So glad I did! My polish is literally dry in 3 minutes. To be safe, I am still pretty careful for a while after painting, but I am just shocked how well this works. Applies easily, though you must work fast because it does dry fast. Added bonus is that I can top my polish with this every day or two and it adds shine and seems to prevent chipping. If smeared, never dry nails are an issue for you, this product is your bff!
Edit: Like other reviewers have noted, this stuff gets too thick mid bottle. So half the bottle is wasted. I am not taking any lippies off because it is still a great product and a bottle half the size would be hard to work with. But count on some waste here.

on 3/24/2017 8:56:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Totally agree with some of the other reviewers - I love this, it dries very quickly (perfect for when you have a manicure that already requires 3-4 coats before topcoat!) and stays shiny... but when the bottle is about 1/2 to 2/3's used up, it gets impossibly thick and gloopy and pulls the nail polish off your nail, and sometimes bubbles. Ugh. I tried using Orly nail polish thinner drops, but it's just a lost cause. This stuff worked so well for me for so long, and is fairly cheap... I guess I'll just buy a new bottle. =/ If it's going to be this prone to evaporating / thickening, I wish they would just sell it in smaller bottles! Harrumph.

on 3/22/2017 6:26:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I used to never use top coats because to me they were just another layer that may never dry and mess up my whole manicure. But I was desperate to try some things that would help my nail polish not to chip so fast (literally next day chipping for me) and lots of people recommended using a top coat. This has prolonged my polish for a few days, it provides great shine AND I have not had any issues with it not drying and smudging my manicure.

I've also used this on top of a few trouble polishes that never seem to dry even with the thinnest of coats and most of the time putting this on top has a sort of curing affect that makes it all dry and leaves no sheet marks.

I have bought this over and over again. I never really seem to finish it before it becomes thick but I genuinely love this. Makes my manicure dry almost in a minute and gives nail polish a good healthy shine. I reapply after a couple of days for a renewed look. Love.

on 12/2/2016 3:45:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Goes on easily and dries fast. This can be found in most US drugstores/big box stores for around $5. I think this is a great value for how well it works. I usually put it on just a minute or two after I've applied my last coat of color. I've used this for the past few months and it does a fabulous job. I am hard on my nails, but I think this helps to make my manicure last a little longer. I can paint my nails about a hour before bed and I do not have sheet marks in the morning.

PROS: good value, works very well- no bubbles, dries quickly, easy to find.

CONS: None to date.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This stuff just never cures! The surface of my nails will feel dry to the touch, but then my polish smudges or pushes back as soon as I try to use my hands 2 HOURS later. I've tried using this specifically with other SH products only, allowing a full 30 minutes between coats, and then giving everything 60 minutes to set after I apply this top coat...and still, my nails are wrecked as soon as I try to change my clothes. I can't devote an entire day to drying my nails, so I switched to Seche Vite, which allows me to use my hands 15 minutes after applying my top coat without destroying my nail color! The Insta Dri top coat does resist chipping better than Seche Vite, but it's still not worth spending hours drying my nails...