Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

3.7

on 7/28/2016 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I'm writing this review to remind my future self to never buy this product again.

I've tried this several times over the years, always thinking that a gentle, non-permanent color boost is just what I need. This one just doesn't work for me, for the following reasons:

• It disrupts my curl pattern, making it more difficult to style. My normal ringlets were flattened out, leaving me with a weird frizzy wave pattern that isn't cute. Many stylists recommend semi & demi permanent dyes for curly girls, since they're supposed to preserve the curl pattern more than permanent ones. This obviously wasn't the case here.

• This also reduces the volume and bounce of my hair, leaving it flat and sad.

• Similarly, this changed the texture of my hair in a negative way. It was almost too soft to style, if that makes sense. There was no grip left to form curly ringlets. This would be great for someone who wants straighter & flatter hair, but that's not me.

• The smell! Even after thoroughly rinsing and making sure that every trace was gone, I noticed that icky "hair dye smell" would return every time I got my hair wet for the next couple of weeks. Yuck.

• While the box says it will "blend away gray," that did not happen. At all. My grays are still there, in all their glory, prominently visible.

• The color on the box is misleading. I had to choose a color 2 shades lighter to match my hair. In my case, I have medium brown hair, and had to use a blonde shade to match.

If that wasn't enough, the conditioner that comes with the kit smells horrible!

Note to self: If you think about buying this again, don't. Go with Herbaceuticals instead.

on 5/6/2016 1:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I colored my roots yesterday. It looks great today. I had grey coming through and needed a fix ASAP. I have gone to an Aveeda salon every 4 weeks for over a year now. I love Aveeda, but I was searching for a lower cost alternative to keep me away from the salon longer than 4 weeks. I used medium brown hazelnut. My main concern was will it cover greys? It did! Is it 100% full coverage? No, but unless someone gets a magnifying glass to search for them, you can't see them. It's about 97%. I see the greys sparkling a little, but it could be the color i used. The hazelnut color is just a tad lighter than the rest of my hair. It looks really good. A friend already complimented me and said she would never have guessed the color was out of a box!

I have used other permanent box colors before and my hair ends up very damaged after about a year. I may continue to use Natural Instincts and ditch the salon for a bit. It depends on how long the color lasts and if I still like how it looks. Overall, I'm extremely happy with it and even happier of my savings$$$$. This, at under $10 a box is much less than $160 every month!

To Read all 619 Reviews, Login or Join

on 4/26/2016 7:24:00 PM

I used to love this stuff they changed the formula and now it burns my scalp bad. it's a shame cuz the old stuff was great made my hair shiny and made my thin hair look and feel thicker. it's was amazing. if it's not broke don't fix it!!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

As with many things in life, there are positives and negatives to this hair color. If there were one perfect hair color for everyone, then nobody would use anything else and the world would be much more boring.
That being said, this color (medium golden blonde) suits my current needs fairly well. I am pregnant, looking for something to blend away the numerous grays in my medium/dark blonde hair without making me feel sick or like I am poisoning the unborn with the stink of ammonia. This only takes 20 minutes of stink-free coloring to mostly achieve that goal.
The gray coverage is eh. I can still easily see them, but they are a bit less noticeable. I understand that as a semi-permanent that's probably about all once can expect, but my grays don't stand out that horribly from my blonde hair already - I'm unsure if this would work well in someone with darker hair.
There is not a lot of dye included in the kit - I have hair slightly below my shoulders and can barely cover it all. There is a generous amount of conditioner included. The conditioner has a tropical scent and leaves my hair soft and shiny. After dyeing and conditioning, my hair does not feel damaged or have any more problems than usual.
The color is a nice, natural medium golden blonde, as advertised. It does not go red, orange or bright yellow on me. The color seems to fade a bit, leaving my hair a little lighter than usual so be aware it CAN lighten hair - this can be a good or a bad thing depending on your goal.
The price isn't bad with coupons/sales but given that it only lasts a few weeks, it could add up.
Overall, not a bad product, especially for those with scent-aversions.

on 1/31/2016 3:03:00 PM

I literally just finished dying my hair with the 6G. I have to say I was pretty scared to do it. My natural hair colour is light brown with a lot of warmth to it and with lighter ends. The light brown I had was virgin hair. So, I followed the directions. Rinsed it off after 10 mins and I can sort of tell a different. I really wanted it a bit darker but with all the reviews saying Browns go really dark, I went with the 6 gold. My first purchase was the castings color creme in 5CB which was really what I was after. Just too scared for it to turn out black.

on 11/12/2015 4:44:00 PM

This is a review for the Clairol Natural Instincts 5 Medium Brown, former 20 Hazelnut. A little over a month ago I used Garnia Olia and while it worked okay, I wanted to try something else because the way it faded left me looking in need of a serious dye job! I picked this up after a friend who has been using it for over 10 years suggested I give it a try, price is very inexpensive (I want to say this is like the second or third cheapest dye that I saw). It was very easy to apply, instructions very clear, and I really like that you only have to leave it on for 10 minutes! I felt like there wasn't enough product in the bottle and I used the very last drops, not sure if this is because my hair has gotten longer or what, but either way it ended up being fine. The conditioner included left my hair feeling soft and silky and I have not noticed any damaging effects from the dye as of yet. Now, I have to say...this dye has EXCELLENT coverage. It is not splotchy or weird looking in any places and it looks even throughout. Which is a PLUS especially because I'm always worried I'll miss a spot. I have to be honest, but the color is a bit darker than I expected but I do like it. On me, it looks more like a very dark brown/nearly black but I'm assuming this will fade with a few washes so no big deal. I'll try and post a picture of the results on here if I figure out how to. The color is also very glossy and not flat, which is a huge plus! Overall, I am very pleased with how this turned out BUT I would caution some people if they want a lighter shade of brown to pick a light brown over a medium because this may be too dark for some. I will most likely repurchase again, in a month or so when it fades.

Wow, okay, I am amazed that this worked for me as well as it did. I used the color Nutmeg/Dark Brown.

I am trying to transition away from henna - I do like henna a lot, it's a great thing for hair but it's too time consuming for me now that I am a mom. I just don't have several hours to devote to it anymore. I've been trying to get back to my natural dark brown hair color as close as possible and I have been having a hard time with permanent dyes. I kept getting hot roots and I could NOT understand why - all I wanted was to get natural looking dark brown hair and to cover my minimal grays! Not to much to ask, is it?!

I realized that the 20vol developer in most dyes were lifting, when I did not want lift. So out of desperation I thought I would give a demi permanent a try before throwing in the towel.

Anyway! So I used this in Nutmeg and it gave me the results I needed!!! Sorry for the exclamations, but I've been so fed up with all the dyes I've used, and getting crappy results. It's such a relief to find something that works for me. This gave me dark brown hair AND covered my grays and the whole process was done in less than 20 mins while my baby was napping. Yes! Quick and easy!

At first, the color was very dark, just a touch lighter than black. After a few washings it became the perfect coffee brown, semi sweet dark chocolate brown, Coca Cola brown, etc, you get the idea. Perfect. It looks exactly like my "virgin" color.

It's been over two weeks since I dyed it, with almost daily shampoos, and my grays are still covered and I can't believe it. It has faded a touch but not much and it looks so natural. Looks like I have never dyed it.

It left my hair feeling just the same as before, too. Not dry at all like with permanent dyes. The dye itself kind of smelled nice too, fruity or something. I also like the large tube of conditioner, plenty for several weekly treatments. Smells great too, like a pina colada or something similar.

I'm really super pleased with Natural Instincts Nutmeg. Hopefully it continues to hold up for at least a few more weeks. I think I finally found my color!

UPDATE: Okay, so the Nutmeg lasted me for a month with daily washing before my grays were super noticeable. 4 weeks is about average for me for permanent colors, I've had some permanent dyes wash out in like two weeks, actually. So that's impressive.

I chose to use Hazelnut Medium Brown this time to see if it would work as well as Nutmeg without going through that super dark/almost black color phase. The medium brown did not cover my grays at all. Some grays are lightly tinted but still really noticeable. So, bummer. Maybe I should have left it in a few minutes longer. But I I'm definitely sticking with Nutmeg from now on since it worked so well for me.

I have been dying my hair a "black/brown" or "chocolate brown" for about 5 years, using various brands. Most recently I have been using Olia for probably 3 years.

I bought natural instincts because it was on sale and I was pressed for time. I really love it and will be switching to this!

color: I bought black-brown, and the color turned out as expected, I left it on for 20 mins. Covered all grey.

smell: so happy that this stuff smelt really good! Did not smell like I dyed my hair at all.

other: my hair was always staticy after dying from the drying effects of permanent color. Even when using Olia which is supposed to be ammonia free my hair felt dry for days. I'm happy to report that my hair feels soft, and has no static after using Natural instincts.

on 6/19/2015 9:55:00 PM

What a rip off! Can't tell I dyed my hair.
I even left it in for longer than recommended.
Would never ever recommend this product to anyone.
I feel cheated.

on 6/5/2015 7:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I decided to switch to this demi-permanent hair color after using permanent color for almost 20 years (used Nice 'N Easy for about 5 years, then Revlon Colorsilk the rest of the time, both of which are nice), so this was my first time using anything other than permanent color. Because my hair is now about 40% gray, it's gotten drier and unhealthy over the years, especially with permanent color, thus why i switched to demi.
Other reviews were right about some things: it turns out darker than expected, so knowing this beforehand, i chose a shade about 2 shades lighter than my natural color, which is very dark brown (with 40% gray). Also, people said to leave it on longer than the recommended time if you have gray hair, and sure enough, i left it on for a total of 30 minutes (the box says 20 minutes is the maximum time for gray), 25 minutes for the roots (had regrowth), and then i used what was left on the length for 5 minutes. It actually smells really nice, a lot nicer than other box dye i've used. Also, it's much more gentler, as permanent color always made my scalp sting a bit, and this didn't at all.
I love it! It totally covers my gray, is easy to use, and relatively inexpensive (it's about twice as expensive as the other permanent box colors i was using, but is much cheaper than going to a salon). What's nice also is that because i'm "salt and pepper" naturally, when i color with a much lighter color than my normal color, it makes it multidimensional and almost looks like highlights (because the grays get colored but my natural color stays the same).
The only con i'd say is that it doesn't last as long as permanent color (about 3 weeks to a month), but that's to be expected since it's demipermanent.