3.7

price range

Reviews

1.0

5 days ago

Clairol changed the formula and packaging and the new formula is horrible! It does not cover gray anymore and smells bad. CLAIROL, you made a big mistake changing the formula and you only have to read the reviews online elsewhere too to see that. Bring back the old formula and I’ll again purchase this product.

About reviewer (9 reviews)

Age36-43

SkinNormal, Medium

HairBrunette

3.0

9 months ago

I used the shade blackberry (2rv) Pros This dye literally does not even smell like dye. It smells like conditioner or something, which is nice because I hate that nasty smell of floral perfume and chemicals that every other hair dye I've tried leaves in my hair It's ammonia and paraben free, probably the best box dye out there for sensitive skin (I've tried pretty much all of them) I only used it on the top half of my head, but it left all my hair really soft and silky, unlike any other hair dye I've tried before Very affordable, it was only $6 compared to most box dyes which are generally $15 plus where I live Cons DO NOT USE THIS DYE if you can't afford to get a few stains around your bathroom. This box dye was unique in a lot of good ways but it is also the WORST for leaving stains. I also don't recommend using it if you have to go anywhere important the next few days, even though I shampooed my scalp really well right after dying it still stained really badly. That's the only thing I didn't like about this product and the reason I can't repurchase. If it weren't for the staining this would be my first holy grail box dye

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair

HairRed

EyesGray

2 years ago

This product has worked well for me. I'm aging well, which I'm very thankful for, and am frequently mistaken for being much younger than I am. I'm trying to keep that going, and the only thing that's giving my age away are these grey hairs that have been showing up more frequently. Because I'm in a very youth-focused industry, like it or not, it's in my interests to look as young as possible. I wish things were different because I love the grey strands of hair that are starting to show up. But for the next few years, I'm going to have to fly under the radar as much as possible. I specifically wanted color to temporarily cover my grey hairs as I do want to unleash them in their full glory at some point. Sometimes after the color washes out, I don't immediately put it back in. I like that option so permanent color isn't for me. I was surprised how few semi-permanent brands are out there. The Clairol Natural Instincts line has a wide range of colors, and it's affordable. I've never done much with coloring my hair, but I knew some basics. I know to err and choose a lighter vs. darker shade. I knew that my hair especially my grey hair would take on whatever undertone that was in the formula. I also know that when my hair lightens it has reddish highlights. To that end, I chose the 5G color, which is a medium golden brown. The pics showed an undertone of red and got a really good result. The instructions say 10 minutes, but if you're doing this to cover grey hair, leave it on a little longer. One time I left it on for just 10 minutes and some of my grey hair was still very grey. All the other times, I'd kept it on for longer than 10 minutes and will do that from now on. I like this product and plan on continuing to use it because it covers my grey hair.

About reviewer (2 reviews)

SkinCombination, Other, Not Sure

HairBrown, Other, Other

2 years ago

I used 5A Medium Cool Brown and had no issues. I'm only 21 but I do have some grays that bother me. They show easily against my dark ash brown hair. The color was a good match and is similar to what I get done at the salon. The dye didn't have a strong offensive smell and covered my gray hair. I left in for 20 minutes instead of the recommended 10. I have a lot of hair and was surprised one box sufficiently covered my whole head. My hair may be a bit drier than usual but that is to be expected, nothing a good hair mask can't fix. I'm taking one lippie off for packaging because I wish it came with a brush to help spread the color. I would recommend buying one from Amazon or a beauty supply store if you plan to dye your hair regularly. Other than that, it was easy to use. I usually get my hair colored every 3 months and notice grays begin to peak through around month 2. I will update with how well it lasts and when I feel the need to redye my hair. UPDATE: I've dyed my hair again last night. I actually noticed grays peeking through earlier than usual. I have been taking hair, skin, and nails vitamins so my hair could be growing faster. They came in around the one month mark. I still dyed my hair around the 2 1/2 to 3 month mark. The dye stays put well. If you use a sulfate free shampoo it will not budge. I used a sulfate shampoo maybe 3 times to get rid of build up in my hair and noticed some color fading. Medium Cool Brown is a bit darker than my natural. My hair stylist recommended I mix Medium Cool and Light Cool Brown to prevent my ends from becoming too dark since this does not fade easily. I may even end up switching to Light Cool Brown. The dye comes out darker pictured on the box. I also left it on my ends for shorter period of time. Overall, I'm happy with my results and will continue to dye my hair at home. I even bought a mixing bowl, brush, and whisk to mix dye with at Sally's for around $10. UPDATE #2: They’ve updated the formula and made it thicker. It’s less messy now. However, I’ve tried Garnier Olia and like that better. I’m going to write up a review of it.

About reviewer (124 reviews)

SkinDry, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Curly, Medium

EyesBlue

2 years ago

I got Clairol extra blonde in the mail as a sample and I love it. To be honest it turned my hair a red blonde so the product color can be off but I ended up loving my hair. The product is affordable and worth giving a shot.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

SkinVery Oily, Fair-Medium

HairOther

EyesGreen

2.0

2 years ago

Does not cover grey hair.

About reviewer (4 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinCombination, Olive

HairBrown

2 years ago

I've used Natural Instincts now and again over the years to refresh color or just make a slight change to my medium brown hair. Hadn't used it in awhile until now. I had some highlights put in last week by a new stylist and they turned out brassy and frankly, quite ugly. Brassy, uneven, obvious demarcation lines--the worst! I dithered over what to do--going back to stylist who I know I never want to see again, go to Sally's and try to buy some toner, or just run down the street to CVS and pick up a box of this for less than $6 due to my coupons. I chose the latter, being tired, short of time and money, and fearful of making a mistake with products I'd never used before. I decided on Light Golden Brown because the highlights were really light and brassy, and I knew I wanted them to blend so much more than they were. I almost got Dark Blonde but didn't want to process my hair again and get zero results. I was a little apprehensive having read some of the reviews stating that Light Golden Brown could pull red--really red--or go really dark. But I did a strand test and to my delight, it came out a perfect golden brown. Not red, not green, not beige--just a nice golden brown. Took the plunge this morning and applied as directed. I'm very pleased with the results. The highlights still peek through, but now they are a golden brown on top of my darker brunette, and they blend in with the rest of my hair. It looks really natural and about 100% better than it did before. My daughter walked in when I was drying my hair and said, "Mom, that looks so much better!" It was also easy to mix and apply. Drips clean up easily. I hope it lasts at least a few weeks. This will give me time to decide what to do next--get more highlights or just continue with demi color or a toner. I am not sure I would use it regularly--that will depend on how long it lasts. But for the quick fix I needed today, it was absolutely perfect and did exactly what I needed it to do. Like everyone says, the conditioner that is included is the bomb and makes my hair so soft and shiny. That's another plus. I am getting really tired of dropping $100 for color so at this point I'm thinking I will be getting to know the girls at Sally's and finding out what I can do at home. In the meantime, Light Golden Brown will be one of my go-to's for when I need a boost or a fix. I highly recommend it.

About reviewer (53 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair, Not Sure

HairBrunette, Other, Other

EyesBlue

3.0
from

2 years ago

This is a review for 4W Warm Brown. I used this product for the first time earlier this week to color my roots and [hopefully] greys until my next salon appointment. The color is just as shown on the box. It was easy to apply and not messy at all. I applied most of the color from the bottle directly to my roots, then pulled it through to the ends, leaving it on closer to 20 minutes rather than the recommended 10. One box of color was enough for my collar-bone length, thick hair. The color looks great, and I see what all of the fuss is about in regards to the conditioner. Only complaint I have is that the grey coverage is almost nil, so I deducted two lippies. But I'm otherwise happy, and the $7 cost didn't break the bank.

About reviewer (393 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

2.0

2 years ago

This i a review for Dark Brown 4W. I previously used L'Oreal Preference for many years with excellent results however now that i'm getting older my hair is thinning a bit so I wanted to try something more gentle. - Pros: no strong chemical smell; minimal processing time - Cons: thinner texture (i had to clean various spatter throughout the bathroom); did not cover greys at all, turned them into a silvery blond Overall not a huge investment in time or expense to determine its not the right product for me.

About reviewer (35 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive

HairBlack

from

3 years ago

If you want darker hair, prefer a gentle formulation and desire low-maintenance color, this is a great product. The only downside is that it does not cover grays like it claims. My stray grays were still beaming silver afterwards. Bummer. It loved it as a teenager when I wanted to experiment with dark hair without worrying about roots growing in. Keep in mind this is not permanent dye, so it cannot lighten hair much (if at all) regardless of how light of a shade you choose. The new packaging features easy-open, easy-pour bottles. The instruction pamphlet is smaller, about the size of a sheet of standard printer paper. The dye rinses out quickly and cleanly compared to other drugstore dyes. In sum, it is a good product with limited uses. However, if your main goal is to cover grays, this is not likely to offer acceptable coverage.

About reviewer (37 reviews)

Age30-35