Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color

3.7

on 3/28/2018 10:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got Clairol extra blonde in the mail as a sample and I love it. To be honest it turned my hair a red blonde so the product color can be off but I ended up loving my hair. The product is affordable and worth giving a shot.

on 3/17/2018 11:39:00 PM

Does not cover grey hair.

on 1/30/2018 12:11:00 PM

I've used Natural Instincts now and again over the years to refresh color or just make a slight change to my medium brown hair. Hadn't used it in awhile until now. I had some highlights put in last week by a new stylist and they turned out brassy and frankly, quite ugly. Brassy, uneven, obvious demarcation lines--the worst! I dithered over what to do--going back to stylist who I know I never want to see again, go to Sally's and try to buy some toner, or just run down the street to CVS and pick up a box of this for less than $6 due to my coupons. I chose the latter, being tired, short of time and money, and fearful of making a mistake with products I'd never used before.

I decided on Light Golden Brown because the highlights were really light and brassy, and I knew I wanted them to blend so much more than they were. I almost got Dark Blonde but didn't want to process my hair again and get zero results. I was a little apprehensive having read some of the reviews stating that Light Golden Brown could pull red--really red--or go really dark. But I did a strand test and to my delight, it came out a perfect golden brown. Not red, not green, not beige--just a nice golden brown.

Took the plunge this morning and applied as directed. I'm very pleased with the results. The highlights still peek through, but now they are a golden brown on top of my darker brunette, and they blend in with the rest of my hair. It looks really natural and about 100% better than it did before. My daughter walked in when I was drying my hair and said, "Mom, that looks so much better!" It was also easy to mix and apply. Drips clean up easily.

I hope it lasts at least a few weeks. This will give me time to decide what to do next--get more highlights or just continue with demi color or a toner. I am not sure I would use it regularly--that will depend on how long it lasts. But for the quick fix I needed today, it was absolutely perfect and did exactly what I needed it to do. Like everyone says, the conditioner that is included is the bomb and makes my hair so soft and shiny. That's another plus.

I am getting really tired of dropping $100 for color so at this point I'm thinking I will be getting to know the girls at Sally's and finding out what I can do at home. In the meantime, Light Golden Brown will be one of my go-to's for when I need a boost or a fix. I highly recommend it.

on 11/12/2017 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is a review for 4W Warm Brown. I used this product for the first time earlier this week to color my roots and [hopefully] greys until my next salon appointment. The color is just as shown on the box. It was easy to apply and not messy at all. I applied most of the color from the bottle directly to my roots, then pulled it through to the ends, leaving it on closer to 20 minutes rather than the recommended 10. One box of color was enough for my collar-bone length, thick hair. The color looks great, and I see what all of the fuss is about in regards to the conditioner. Only complaint I have is that the grey coverage is almost nil, so I deducted two lippies. But I'm otherwise happy, and the $7 cost didn't break the bank.

on 10/15/2017 10:59:00 PM

This i a review for Dark Brown 4W. I previously used L'Oreal Preference for many years with excellent results however now that i'm getting older my hair is thinning a bit so I wanted to try something more gentle.

- Pros: no strong chemical smell; minimal processing time
- Cons: thinner texture (i had to clean various spatter throughout the bathroom); did not cover greys at all, turned them into a silvery blond

Overall not a huge investment in time or expense to determine its not the right product for me.

on 9/11/2017 3:12:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

If you want darker hair, prefer a gentle formulation and desire low-maintenance color, this is a great product.

The only downside is that it does not cover grays like it claims. My stray grays were still beaming silver afterwards. Bummer.

It loved it as a teenager when I wanted to experiment with dark hair without worrying about roots growing in.

Keep in mind this is not permanent dye, so it cannot lighten hair much (if at all) regardless of how light of a shade you choose.

The new packaging features easy-open, easy-pour bottles. The instruction pamphlet is smaller, about the size of a sheet of standard printer paper. The dye rinses out quickly and cleanly compared to other drugstore dyes.

In sum, it is a good product with limited uses. However, if your main goal is to cover grays, this is not likely to offer acceptable coverage.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Bought a shade called Dark Blonde, to use for low lights in platinum hair. Awesome product! It was an experiment and didn't know if I wanted the low lights, the color is demi-permanent, lasts about a month and does virtually no damage. Color came out exactly as shown in the swatch. If you want something less damaging and close to your current color, this is a great product.

Also, the conditioner in the package is so amazing that I bought several separate tubes on ebay, it transforms bleach damaged hair to the texture of virgin hair. Wonderful little gem to have found for processed hair!

Called the manufacturer to see if the conditioner was sold elsewhere, they said Aussie Three Minute Miracle was almost the same formulation, but I've tried it, and no cigar.

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I've only used it a couple of weeks ago for the first time and I love it.

on 11/24/2016 1:01:00 AM

I will never buy this product again it washed out so quick I could see my grays within a week

on 2/3/2017 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I have been using this product for many years, I like the way it gradually lightens so you do not have a harsh new growth line, and the gray coverage is good. I have had a few bad experiences, such as poor color coverage and outcome, but dozens more great results. Before you color though, you need to remove all the conditioner and deposits on your hair so the color will "stick". I use regular dish washing liquid and rinse well. This stripping will leave your hair feeling very dry and rough of course, but the coloring and conditioner will solve that--just use a wide toothed comb and comb the tangles out gently. I use the wonderful conditioner every time I shampoo, about every 4-5 days, since there is plenty of it left. However, i have noticed lately that i am losing a lot of my hair, much more than usual. Last time i shampooed, 3 days ago, when I applied the conditioner, i lost a handful of hair, right in my hand. Has the conditioner been changed lately? It may just be something else causing this, maybe medicine i take. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I will switch to another conditioner for awhile and see if it helps.

Popular Hair Color Products