3.5

Reviews

3.0
from

8 months ago

This is a decent pressed powder for oily skin which I still have as a middle aged adult! I had used this pressed powder during my teenage years to blot & touch up my oily face & it worked really well! The powder itself is a very dry cake that has the kaolin in it & talc to absorb the oils! I have a fair complexion & I had bought this in the lightest shade of ivory & it worked well for me Bc I always tend to get a powder that's a bit lighter Bc once the oils come through it makes any powder you have turn darker! I always liked the maybelline powders &makeup Bc they are decent & fragrance free & the quality is much better than the stinky cheap cover girls powders! I think this powder is a classic teenager powder with a cheap & reasonable price point!

About reviewer (236 reviews)

SkinNormal

HairBlack

EyesBlack

3 years ago

Garbage : ( Makes my skin look bad and pale. Doesn't keep shine away..feels weird on the skin.....just bad. Not sure why they even have these on the shelves...

About reviewer (1023 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinCombination, Fair

HairBlond

EyesBlue

2.0

4 years ago

I find the shade range very poor. This was just a pretty basic powder not at all special nor did it help with shine control. Looked very powdery on the skin.

About reviewer (1081 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinVery Oily, Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Fine

5 years ago

I have acne prone oily skin and tried this pressed powder and it made my face break out like crazy. I heard it was good for oily skin but it made my skin oilier. I threw it away and will never use this again.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinAcne-prone, Fair-Medium

HairRed

5 years ago

I dont like this at all. It was pretty flakey and cakey when appropriately applied. The applicator it comes with is cheap as well is the packaging. Very plastic-y. I wouldn't recomend it, there are lots better products that are about the same price.

About reviewer (52 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair, Neutral

HairBrunette, Straight, Fine

EyesGreen

3.0

5 years ago

I used the Shine Free line way back as a teenager in the 80's when it first came out. I had the concealer too. I am only going to recommend it to younger women or those with oily skin as it is mattifying although gentle. It lets oily skin breathe. Good for acne sufferers. Not for aging complexions at all. But for those mentioned above, a good product.

About reviewer (49 reviews)

Age44-55

SkinSensitive, Fair

HairBrunette

5 years ago

This really mattifies and smooths the skin when I first apply it. It can tend to have a lot of fallout if you swirl your brush, so I would recommend doing the patting or wiggling a brush into the product motion. Fortunately, the compact is designed to catch fallout cos there's like a 'moat' around the pan. On the face, it does a great job setting my foundation and concealer. I tend to get pretty oily, so there hasn't been a foundation/powder combo yet that can keep my oil at bay for more than five hours, but one can hope. I do like this powder and found it easy to carry for traveling.

About reviewer (28 reviews)

Age25-29

SkinOily, Fair-Medium, Warm

HairBlack, Straight, Fine

5 years ago

Oh Maybelline, how I adore thee! Okay, that's quite enough of that, I think. So, like many women who have used pressed powder for a couple of decades, I have a couple of favorites and should they ever be discontinued I'd cry like a baby. Maybelline has been making decent, reasonably priced products for about 3 million years and the only major change (to me, at least) has been pricing. But it's still jolly good value so I can look past that. This powder comes in a generic container with a mirror attached somewhere around the hinges, like a million other face powders. Likewise, the powder puff is pretty generic. Use it or use something else - honestly, it really doesn't affect application to any great degree. Now for the powder itself. This is where I think Maybelline genuinely leaves most of the drugstore brands behind...far, far behind. I blind-tested it along with three other brands (two drugstore, one "oh jeez that's almost my car payment" type), and I'm firmly convinced that Maybelline is an excellent alternative to high-end powders. There is the slightest hint of fragrance which is neither appalling or overly appealling, but thats's fine with me. The finish will depend on how much you use, along with what you've got underneath. For the purposes of testing, I tried each powder four different ways. I would have probably mixed it up some more but there's only so much "apply, cleanse, dry, repeat" I can take. For all tests, I moisturized and primed my face first. Method 1: Powder only Method 2: Concealer plus powder Method 3: Foundation plus powder Method 4: Concealer plus foundation plus powder So how did Maybelline perform? 1. First place, and that surprised me. It made my skin look naturally...natural. 2. Tied with Expensive Brand. 3. First place (that surprised me, too) 4. This is where it all went to heck. If you're wearing everything a la Method 4, there is no doubt - you're going to have cakiness in at least some degree. The difference is how cakey. Oddly, the more expensive powder performed worse than all three drugstore brands in this category, which are tied for first place. But they were largely as bad as each other. Conclusion: Maybelline has very decent staying power, which varied only a teeny bit between all four. It does conceal minor imperfections but it's not a full coverage product. Price-wise, Maybelline, CoverGirl and Rimmel are all around the same price bracket ($10-$15/ounce), while NARS frightens my checking account at $100/ounce (give or take).

About reviewer (96 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairRed, Wavy, Fine

2.0

6 years ago

Doesn't give coverage by itself, but is good for setting foundation. I didn't like the tones, none of them really matched my skin. Nothing special about it, can go without it.

About reviewer (14 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Curly, Medium

6 years ago

Meh... This is okay. It oxidized somewhat on me. I really wish they would come back out w the Shine Free liquid foundation coz that w this worked together sooo well!! The loose powder version seems to mattify about as well but you get a ton more product & the puff is better. I always hit pan so quickly on this pressed powder.

About reviewer (2417 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Not Sure