Anastasia Of Beverly Hills Prism

Anastasia Of Beverly Hills  Prism

4.1

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Okay. So, I don't write reviews. I also try not to spend a lot of $$ on products. I might splurge on one pot of UD eyeshadow in a color I can't live without, or maybe a tube of Razor Sharp eyeliner.... But most of my eyeshadows are Hard Candy Walmart brand (I know, I know... I'll explain in a min) or big ELF palettes. The reason being, I discovered 15-16 years ago, before heavily pigmented & baked eyeshadows were popular and easily available, with the correct primer, any color can be as rich as it is in the pot. I continually get complimented on my eyeshadow looks (don't wear anything else, no foundation etc. Just lash boost/eyeshadow/mascara), regardless if the brand of eyeshadow I'm wearing is high end or drug store.

That being said, I absolutely love this palette. It requires a light hand because ALL OF THE COLORS ARE DUSTY (be careful or you'll end up with big dents in the pots. I did in Lucid after my first use, and I was super careful.).

I don't understand ppl with skipping complaints...Use a tackier primer (I use clinique concealer). I also don't understand blending complaints, because as long as you're using common sense, an eyeshadow brush (not your FINGER, omg it comes with an amazing brush...For $42 it shoulda been gold plated....I USE IT ON OTHER PALETTES!) and a nice tacky primer, I've never had that problem. Also, other than Saturn (which is a heavy super matte terracotta ochre that is basically pure iron oxide) none of the colors oxidize on me (and I love how Saturn darkens a little as the day goes on... The oxidization has always been even for me, but to each their own).

Most of the metallics & duochromes are gorgeous both in pot and on lid. However, as I writing this, I find myself wondering if I'm going to use them all. I wonder if it makes more sense financially to order fyrinnae arcane magic duos....I could buy 7-8 3g pots of their duos for what I spent on this palette.

Lucid is the hardest color to work with, and the ABH description is garbage (THERE IS NO PINK REFLECT AS IT'S DESCRIBED ON THE ABH&Ulta WEBSITES, WTF?! Color is yellow gold/silver/almost green). Because it flakes during application, you have to kinda grind it on. The color however blends incredibly if you take a light swoosh of one of the matte colors over it. It takes on a little of the color and makes it a totally different look!

I'm not a huge matte girl, esp not ultra matte, but I love these choices, and the product quality.

Hate the velvet palette.

on 12/23/2017 7:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought my MR about one year ago and these are the only abh shadows I owned before I got prism (abh is not easy to find in austria). And it is still my HG formula so I was very sad about the bad subculture reviews and did not get it I can compare prism only to MR.
And I feel that this is MR sister. And there are some shades that are very close.

Lucid and Primavera: Primavera has a more orang-copper undertone compared to Lucid. Lucid is a bit lighter, has a more yellow-whitegold tone and is very brightening on my warm fair skintone.

Unity and golden ochre: Unity is lighter and has more yellow in it than golden ochre. Golden ochre has a tad more orange in it and is not as matte as Unity.

Prallel ans cyprus umber: Parallel is lighter and has a more pinky undertone. Cyprus umber is darker and more of a black-brown. Parallel looks like milkchocolate and cyprus umber like dark chocolate swatched on my arm.

Saturn and Realgar: they are very close! Saturn is brighter and Realgar has a bit brown in it.

Lure and Boun Fresco: Lure is a tad darker, more pigmented and has a plumy-taupe undertone. Buon Fresco is lighter with more grey in it. They work amazing together!

Those shades from Prism and MR work so nice together they are close but not the same (just Satur and Realgar are pretty much the same) and help blending even more than just the amazing Formular of these palettes!

I use the shimmers over nyx glitter glue and they work nice. Dimension is on top of glitter glue a lovely sheer (in a good way!!!!) even color and can be darker and bolder when used with a wet brush. I like it dry even better it looks so ethereal!
Throne is the most amazing emerald I own. I use it dry over glitter glue. I did a look with Lure as transition, Parallel in the crease an outher corner, Throne all over the lid, Obsidian on the outer corner and lower lid and than Osiris wet where Throne and Obsidian met. That is the best look I have ever done. My boyfried sayed for the first time how amazing my eheshadow is usually he just comlipents my look.

Obsidian is not the darkest Black but my new HG. I suck with black shadows but this does not need lots of blending and is not as harsh (my skin is very fair)

Shpere is nice but dusty I just use it with glitter glue to make it last vibrant on my oily lids. But the color is not my fav.

I would recommemd Prism if you like the colors. The quality is there and I did not notice kickback or fallout or skipping or oxidizing. Just use soft brushes and only dip in gentle. They are so pigmented and soft that a gentle tap is enough and the shimmers I pick up with a flat synthetic brush and wiggle my brush without pressing down and that paint in smal strokes on the lid.

I got a backup because this and the MR will be the only paletts I will ever hit Pan on. I love it. HG!

After playing with this palette it makes me more creativ and I find it to be cohesiv enough for creating looks for every occasion with it (I just need a matte highlight shade but I dont mind).

Sorry english is not my first language!

This palette is fun and gives many options to create different looks. I admire the versatility offers. The colors are beautiful, a couple dual chrome, matte, and metallic shades. It's a mix and match of cool and warm tones but I find that cool and warm tone can look beautiful paired! The packaging is the same as their other palettes- velvet feel. Only con would be the shade Osiris. Very patchy and the color pay off did not meet my expectation.

on 11/14/2017 8:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this palette. I have crazy oily eyelids and lots of space between my lash and brow. I pair this with my Essence I Love Stage Eyeshadow Base. The matte shades are beautiful and creamy: there is a lot of pick up on these shades, but I just use a lighter hand and dust off the excess so there is no fallout. Sphere, however, is very chalky. I really love the colors of the duo-chromes and shimmers, but they have to be applied with my fingers or else they have no pigment and only shimmer show up on my eyes and swatches. I like the shades, but they do not last 12 hours (the mattes do!) Osiris is also a very tricky color to apply and wear, but more play time will fix that. I’m glad I bought this because it has all the shades I wanted and then some fun ones to try!

I had mostly discounted this palette because the colors were not speaking to me online, but Ulta had 20% off and 5x points so I decided to give it a try. I am very surprised to find myself really enjoying it. The shimmers are most impactful applied wet or with a finger, but they are beautiful. I love Dimiension, Spnix, Throne, and Osiris. The mattes are also great, especially Eden, Lure, and Saturn. The wear time on me is 8+ hours (I always apply primer). I would repurchase this palette for the shimmers alone. Other ABH palettes I own are MR, Mario, and Self Made, and believe it or not it looks like I will get the most use out of Prism. While wearing it, I think "it's a good makeup day" and that is saying a lot.

The Bad: packaging (velvet, ugh), the color Sphere is very powdery but looks good as a transition.

on 10/24/2017 10:21:00 PM

I was pleasantly surprised with this palette. I wasn’t too impressed seeing it online or in review videos but when I saw it in person I had to buy it. It’s so much prettier in person! I was/am one of the rare ones who liked the Subculture palette. But this one isn’t like it at all. Not even the looks of it. I know people compare the two but nah they’re different. Like most ABH colors if you’re not into bold colors or perhaps trying new looks then this palette might not be for you. I like different looks and bold colors so this is right up my alley. :-)

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I just purchased this palette a couple days ago and first things first, I LOVE THE COLORS. So I did some swatches and noticed the formula feels WAY different than modern renaissance! It's on the chalkier side for sure, and the pigmentation isn't as good either. I'm not complaining just yet because I can build up the colors that's just something I noticed off the bat. I have yet to do a look with this palette but will be doing one soon!

***Update*****
I've done a couple looks using this now and I like this palette a lot more now that I've put it to use. I still stand by what I said above, the formula is much chalkier than modern renaissance but you can still make some really pretty looks with this palette! There's a silvery white shade in this palette called "Lucid" and that's probably the only shade I don't like because I feel its hard to work with. I wasn't able to get any product on my brush so when i tried to use my finger to apply the color it came out looking almost transparent, which is very misleading because in the pan it looks like it'll be a vibrant silvery shade. Other than that one color everything else is so pretty! I love the variety of shades in this palette because it really allows me to get creative with my looks!

on 10/12/2017 4:21:00 AM

So I bought this the moment it was released because I personally think their products are amazing and I honestly believe the MR palette is one of the best out there. Although subculture was a little bit of a let down for me in terms of blendability I had to try Prism, especially after seeing the swatches. The colours are just beautiful and straight away there are so many different eye looks to work with. The shade Sphere just screams at me! This palette is definitely an improvement from subculture in the sense that the shadows are easier to blend and there's less fall out. There is however, a shadow that I'm not keen on which is Lucid (the white one) I found that it didn't show up very well on my skin but I haven't tried it using a wet brush as of yet, so maybe that will make a difference. The glittery shades are ever so pigmented and go on like a dream even more so with a wet brush.
The only thing that I'm not loving is the packaging itself, all three of there recent palettes have the same fluff/dirt magnet material. With this one being black, it's not going to be long before every bit of dirt shows up but I can live with that. I'm just so happy that ABH brought out another palette so soon after subculture and I 100% believe this one is worth the money. I have managed to create some stunning eye looks with this one and as always the quality is second to none! If like me, your an ABH addict you need this in your life.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Prism is an extention of Subculture. Yes, they have similar shades, but really, I think they are meant to work together as one big palette - but Prism is limited edition I think. - and really they are pretty to look at together - and work well together colorwise.

Here are the colors in Prism:
Lucid: Duo chrome white gold with pink reflect
Eden: Ultra-matte coral pink
Unity: Ultra-matte nude ochre
Sphinx: Metallic warm bronze
Osiris: Metallic midnight violet with red reflect
Sphere: Ultra-matte electric green-yellow
Obsidian: Ultra-matte deep black
Dimension: Duo chrome silver-grey with pink reflect
Parallel: Ultra-matte truffle
Pyramid: Metallic yellow gold with green reflect
Throne: Metallic blackened blue-green with multicolor reflect
Saturn: Ultra-matte terracotta
Eternal: Metallic violet copper
Lure: Ultra-matte ashy lilac

The packaging is similar to Modern Rennisance and Subculture.

That being said -
I'm disappointed. Big time. I don't even know where to start. You would think I had learned my lesson after the nightmare of the Subculture Palette, but you know, every brand has at least one dud in their collection, and I do collect makeup palettes.

So, when I saw Prism, I wanted to give them another shot - and man, that was a mistake. This thing is going back. I'm done ABH. I think it's time we started seeing other people, and I just don't love you anymore.

This formula is just something I cannot work with. Now, I get some people love Subculture's formula - and more power to them, but this is terrible. Here is what I really dislike about it - and like Subculture - I tried it 3 times to make it work -

1. I already have a dent in the color Saturn, and I didn't swirl or anything. I tapped. I have a fricken dent.
2. The mattes applied crazy patchy on me. When I tried to fix it, it wasn't happening. I get the formula for mattes is hard, and some are patchy, and I can forgive this - usually - because mattes can be tricky - BUT....
3. The patchiness oxidizes. BADLY. So my eye, when I tried Saturn, looked spotted with a wierd reddish color - so it would have the terricotta on application, then it would deepen from terricotta to a dark red brown that was more marroon i think? But it would be patchy - so it would look like my eyelid had spots of light and dark maroon colored eyelids. Gross. Similar things occurred with lure and eden - it just deepended to this strange color that wasn't even a pretty color. If it were pretty it'd be different, but it was more like these fugly colors.
4. I couldn't get them to blend. God help me. The line never blended away. And the mattes, when I tried to blend the patchy mess out, they got darker, or the light ones would blend into nothingness - but that damn line would still be there where I originally put the color.
5. I tried patting the colors on with a brush - same result with the strange darkening of the pigment. I used my fingers and that seemed somewhat better, but it kept oxidizing.
6. Before anyone asks - I used 3 different primers - UDPP, Nars, and just plain ol Shape Tape NONE of them worked.

I think this will probably be my last ABH palette until they get a new formula. I just can't keep spending $42 a palette that I really can't do anything with. I'm really bummed because Modern Rennisance is amazing quality - but this... is terrible imho. To those who can use this and the formula not be a PITA - I am envious of you - because I love these colors - but i just can't work with the formula. :(

The Prism Eyeshadow Palette is another new release from Anastasia Beverly Hills. This palette contains a few matte colors and several more shimmery - metallic- like colors. Some of these are very beautiful. The matte shades are almost more like pressed pigments because they have a very light consistency. I really do like this combination of light colors for the brow bone and the darker colors to use as powder eyeliner. I will say that if you didn't like the consistency of the Subculture Palette you might not like this one either because I found them to be quite similar (which was okay with me because I liked the Subculture Palette) but I do understand that many people like a more firm eye shadow.
My more detailed review and swatches can be seen here: