Weleda Sea Buckthorn Body Oil

Weleda Sea Buckthorn Body Oil

4.6

Ingredients (INCI): Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Hippophae Rhamnoides (Sea Buckthorn) Oil, Fragrance (Parfum)*, Limonene*, Linalool*, Benzyl Benzoate*, Benzyl Salicylate*, Geraniol*, Citral*, Farnesol*. * from natural essential oils

This did a good job at moisturizing. It is thick and yellow. I wouldn't repurchase because I think coconut oil does just as good of a job and it's cheaper.

I've never been a body oil person. I've always found them way too greasy or vaguely sticky. "Put it on at night" people said, "You'll sleep through the worst of it!" Fat chance, I sleep on my stomach and an arm full of oil on my sensitive skin overnight has me waking up with pizza-face. No joke.
Enter this gem from Weleda.
I'm not going to lie, this was an incredibly risky purchase given my oil-history and accompanying feelings about them. Also it was an online buy so I (idiotically) didn't have a chance to test it beforehand or even smell it to see if it was a scent I even liked. Like I said... Risky.

Having spent a good portion of this year in hospital having one of my legs... fixed, I really wanted a product that would help with moisturising my poor mutilated extremity and maybe even help minimising what will be an epic series of scars from surgeries. I'd tried Bio-Oil before and LOATHED it with a passion (the consistency, the scent, the fact it did nothing, take your pick of cons), coconut oil didn't do anything except make me itch, Argan oil is hella expensive and I wasn't getting much relief from creams or lotions. So on a whim, I bought a bottle of this peculiar orange liquid trapped in it's emerald bottle.

My whim purchases are seldom this on the money and I don't like to toot my own horn, but holy smokes, this stuff is AMAZING and I really nailed it for an internet buy.
It is like liquid velvet, that turns your skin into butter, your scars into bad memories and leaves you smelling like a burst of citrussy fresh air. Initially I was concerned because it feels like it is quite a thick oil straight from the bottle into your hand(s), I thought that I would put it on my skin and it would sit there and feel... heavy. I gave it a shot though because I'm no quitter and BOY am I glad that I did. It is the absolute opposite when applied to my skin. I'm not sure whether it warms with your body temperature which makes it glide super easily over my your body in an incredibly light but effective layer or whether it is witchcraft but I know it is one of those two things. A small amount goes a looong way and absorbs so well leaving this delicate glow that is not even remotely sticky or greasy. It makes your skin super moisturised, especially if you put it on straight after a shower or bath (a real lifesaver this winter) and generally is delightful to use.
Since I have been using this liquid sorcery, the skin on my hands is calm, no longer itchy from months of hospital sanitiser soaps, and my nails are healthy, strong and no longer flaking into the gross (and painful!) hangnails of yore. My skin graft site scar used to be a disaster zone of over-epethelialisation, frequently rupturing blood vessels and generally looked like it was pretty unhappy with itself. Now it looks healthy, with no more weird bruising or weird thickening for almost 3 months now (which just so happens to be the amount of time I have been using this elixir of life.) In fact, my once nasty scar is now fading into silver oblivion and doing it in a very rapid manner. I am elated. It's helped immensely with ingrown hairs on my legs too which is an unexpected surprise. But overall it has just made my skin look and feel so much healthier than it has felt/been in a really really long time. Eventually I am going to try using it on my face to see if it helps at all with my sensitivity issues.
If there was anything I would change, it would be the lid. Personally I would love it even more if it came with an eyedropper-style cap since it would make it easier to decant the right amount of product. Currently you pour it through one of those plastic dispersal-type lids you get in olive oil bottles, not a huge issue but I find that it dribbles oil onto the threads of the bottle and down the sides if I'm not careful which is more of a pain in that it wastes little slurps of product and I'm paranoid that I'll go to grab it and it will slip from my hands and shatter spreading my precious drops of immortality into my oil-unappreciative carpet.

Pros:
-Smells amazing, like a bright grapefruity-mandarin citrus scent with a mild/unobtrusive herbal-medicinal undertone, even my scent-snob sister who hates medicinal scents LOVES this stuff.
-Gives your skin a beautiful velveteen texture and healthy glow.
-A little goes a long way!
-Isn't heavy or greasy and absorbs rapidly.
-Helps soothe irritated skin, improves nail health and has done wonders to prevent hangnails!
-Improves the appearance of scars, helps them fade/heal faster.
-Cruelty free, Weleda does not and has never tested their products on animals.
-Synthetic-ingredient and GMO free.
-Generally appears to be made of unicorn tears and pixie dust.

Cons:
-Not a huge fan of the cap, would suit an eyedropper style lid better in my personal opinion, but I will continue to buy this stuff regardless. Maybe I'll just buy a dropper.
-A little on the pricey side but it is totally worth every cent.

WHAT IS THIS MAGIC IN A BOTTLE?! I bought the Weleda starter kit with 6 essential oils and am always hesitant to put a new oil on my face just because my skin is so sensitive. I was using Seabuck Wonders' pure Organic Himalayan Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil on my face before this, so I figured the sea buckthorn in the starter kit was probably least likely to aggravate anything. Not only did it NOT aggravate anything, it HEALS EVERYTHING, and the pure one I was using is nothing in comparision to Weleda's. Every day after removing my makeup, I have little aggravated spots and have yet to figure out what in my makeup is causing the small bumps and acne to pop up. I put the Weleda oil on my face and wake up with everything literally just GONE. (Side note: Smells like you're smearing gummy bears on your face - which is weirdly extremely enjoyable haha) It's also been healing the discoloration in my face caused by acne as well! This stuff is a miracle in a bottle, and I cannot recommend it enough - I haven't felt this good about my skin ever!!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I liked this while I used it. It's loaded with beneficial oils. Unfortunately, sea buckthorn is pretty far on the ingredient list. This oil is bright orange in color and smells of citruses, fresh and uplifting. Comes in a glass bottle which makes it pretty unconvenient if you're straight outta shower and not really travel-friendly.

on 2/19/2016 6:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

If youre sensitive to some natural oils as i am then you may have trouble with this body oil.
I use it on some of my body and it is giving me aggressive pimples on both my legs and shoulders, eek.
Other 'cheaper' body oils have not done this. I will go back to using Palmers moisturising body oil because it did not give me body pimples and also actually made my skin feel amazingly soft and not wake up with little chest-wrinkles from sleeping - this weleda oil looked nice on, but didn't provide any hydration. Quite a useless product for me.

on 10/12/2014 4:30:00 AM

Want silky body skin?

Sea Buckthorn Body Oil contains the arctic region wonderoil with those fatty acids making your skin very happy and satiny.

Use a small amount on wet skin (important) after shower and rub it gentle in all over. Perfect in summertime as it gives a slight sheen making your exposed skin look faboulus and healthy without beeing greasy if you do not use to much. You can dress immidiately when using the right amount of oil. A bottle lasts forever.

The natural essential oils scent is heavenly even though quite strong the first few minutes, but remember these essential oils have their own skin benefits and strenghtening effect.

Highly recommended!

Absolutely amazing. I'd been using Weleda Wild Rose body oil on my face at night for a while and had great results, so I decided to try this one and I like it even more. It's too heavy for daytime (for me) but when using this on my face at night I wake up with smooth, clear, very soft skin. I tend not to use this on my body, though, just my face. So it lasts forever, as I use a small amount and smooth it on while my face is still damp from washing. I rub the excess into my hands.

on 6/4/2014 8:14:00 AM

I bought a travel set that had this oil in it so that I would be able to take it with me while traveling. I chose to bring this one in particular with me because of the scent. It smells slightly medicinal but with a touch of sweetness. I like the texture of the oil, which is light. It blends easily into the skin and is absorbed quickly. The thing I did not like about this oil is the fact that the travel-sized packaging leaks once opened, no matter how hard you try to screw on the lid. For this I removed a lippie. I am on the fence about repurchasing because there are other comparable brands that give you more bang for your buck, although the scent of the products perhaps is not as pleasant as the Sea Buckthorn scent.

Update: I just wanted to mention that the traveling packaging is not airtight and leaked all over the place in my makeup bag. Very disappointing!

This oil is absolutely wonderful for both the face and the body. For my body, I use it on damp skin because that makes it easier to smooth it out. On my face, it seems to work wonders! I have rather oily/combination skin and I feel that my face is getting less oily now that I regularly put oil on my face. After reading great things about argan oil, I purchased that, used it on my face a couple of days, but today I switched back to this oil because I find it a lot better in terms of hydration and the glow it gives to my skin. Great stuff!!!

on 10/23/2012 6:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I use this on my face only. I buy it in the little sample bottles that cost like 2-3 and they last me forever. I use just a couple of drops on the dry/normal areas of my face in the evening, avoiding my chin as I tend to break out there. This makes the dry areas of my face moist and happy, and I always wake up with a nice healthy glow after applying it the night before. This seems to help prevent and even clear up breakouts on my face, save my chin. I love the smell. Like orange Fruit Loops :) Apparently this stuff contains some good natural anti-ageing ingredients. Will continue to use and repurchase.

Popular Body Skincare Products