Hourglass Cosmetics Ambient Light Correcting Primer

Ambient Light Correcting PrimerAmbient Light Correcting Primer

3.8

on 3/10/2018 8:43:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

This is for the Dim light primer

A lovely light weight primer, very sheer in consistency but on my skin tone it blends out completely and not worth buying.

on 1/29/2018 11:14:00 AM

I love this stuff! To be sure, I can't really review its efficacy as a primer, as I tend to use it with concealer and some finishing powder and call it a day. I find it adds a healthy glow and subtle smoothing effect for a no makeup makeup kind of day. It still provides that effect under foundation but I can't speak to whether it improves wear.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have this in mood light. It has a pink tone to it, and it supposed to be the most blurring or forgiving of the three colours.

I don't think this hurts my makeup application at all, but I'm not sure it really does much for me, either. Wearing it under foundation I don't really notice too much of a difference. I do enjoy wearing this on days where I don't wear foundation. I feel like I'm not extra oily on days when I wear this, which is great.

My main gripe is that it's sooooo expensive for something that I can't really notice a difference when I use it. I'm still on the hunt for a primer that really makes a difference...

on 3/27/2017 4:03:00 AM

Got this few months ago looking forward to a transformation. Very expensive for what it is and you need more than you would normally as a primer. Initially liked it, as gave a glow under foundation, but it dried out my skin and I got dry patch on my forehead which never happens. Waste of money. The hype on these products is high. My pal got the powder and also got dry patches from using it. Avoid. For less money you can get the Chanel le blanc primer which is WAY better.

on 2/5/2017 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I mix this in Dim Light this with the hard-to-blend Hourglass Hyaluronic Skin Tint in my slightly-too-yellow summer shade (Golden) at about a 1:3 ratio to add a little luminescence. I also use it alone (like a CC) for a fast way to soften my uneven complexion when I'm in a hurry and just want my skin to look more uniform and bright. I follow with a light allover dust of the Ambient Light Powder in Dim and a light squirt of Badescu's rosewater-based spray and I'm done in 90 seconds. Sometimes I'll add a drop of CoverFx concentrate in my foundation shade for a base that I don't need to use a brush or BB to blend. Although I'm not impressed with how it works as a primer with a medium coverage cream or liquid, it's quite good under a powder foundation. I'm ambivalent about the tube--I appreciate that it's sanitary, but it's hard to control how much comes out.

on 1/18/2017 4:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Awful stuff- I really dont get all the good reviews!
I can't really comment on the performance of this stuff and how it reacted/worked with my skin because I was never able to use it- I always had to wash it off.
Why? It ALWAYS balled up! I COULD NOT get this stuff to spread on my skin! I have no idea why, it just transformed into this sausage type thing of rolled up product on my skin rather than spreading out evenly. I tired it with everything: with moisturiser underneath (many different types), no moisturiser, on top of primer, on top of foundation, even mixed in with foundation- always the same. It would not spread. Just balled up.
The colour also seemed a bit too pale- even for my complexion.
Maybe there was a bad batch at my local Mecca Maxima (Aussie sephora type store) where I got the sample.
I'm so gutted because I love Hourglass primers and I was sure this one would be great. Nope :(
Next time I'm at there, I'll try it again and update my review if it turns out it was just a bad batch. But for now, I cannot recommend. This was a useless product for me.

I started using this mixed with the primer from hourglass, and I use it as my foundation. Didn't start out like this but that's what I do now. Then I use the ambient palette to set my FOUNDATION MIXTURE. I am very very happy with the results of this routine. I am 54 with oily tee zone large pores and in need of line smoothing. After using the palette powder to set the mixture I use hourglass concealer in pearl, and brush over the top with the lightest powder in the palette. Then I use the blush compact the one that is the mauve creamy color. I am medium tan skin, and this whole routine looks I must say really good on me. Since my favorite Chanel healthy glow fluid has been discontinued I am trying to find a new routine. And this combination of hourglass products lasts all day while I'm at work. I also use the hourglass eye palette, and mascara, very very happy with hourglass. Anyway this is how I use this primer.

on 8/22/2016 9:44:00 AM

I bought this in Luminous Light in addition to the Ambient Lighting powder in Dim Light, which I use in conjunction.

I hate foundation (the way it feels and looks on my skin) but wanted something to make me look alive during winter so I wasn't resembling a ghost at the office. The Mecca SA recommended this even thought it's called a primer. She said to use it on my forehead, cheeks and chin as my skin is pretty good (thanks Paula's Choice BHA) but I found this made my skin look patchy so I use it all over.

It is a tad on the dry side even for my combination skin so I make sure I moisturise well beforehand. Once done, I apply a touch of the lighting powder (I think this powder is more of a light bronzer on my skin) and it looks great! It gives my face a subtle "alive" look. It's my skin but better! Especially after it's settled and I see myself in the mirror or photos.

But the price is a bit ridiculous for the amount of product you get. 30ml for AUD$67? I am not a person who goes through makeup quickly but can imagine if someone was using this everyday as a primer or replacement for foundation, it wouldn't be very cost effective unless you absolutely loved it.

on 8/21/2016 4:07:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I got a generous sample of this from Sephora, which I was very happy about because I wanted to try it before paying for the full size. The product is a light mauve color and quite thick, but I find that if I warm it up with my fingers a bit, it's quite easy to smooth over the face. And despite the thickness, it doesn't accentuate fine lines and wrinkles as you'd expect a fairly thick extra layer on the face to do. I'm about NW20 and have dry skin, and find that it did not make me look ghostly or make my skin drier (although I do moisturize well before applying) or oilier. This stuff makes my skin look like porcelain, and does not show through even a light foundation like Lancome Miracle Cushion. I find that my foundation does hold up better, even on hot and sticky days, and think that it takes years off by keeping it out of my fine lines and by somehow adding light to my face (without shimmer). I also think it cancels out that awful sallowness that can occur under fluorescent lighting. If you have a fair-to-medium complexion and especially if you're of, ahem, a certain age, give this a try (but, given all the opinions given here, get a sample first). I think you'll be pleased--I know I am. I would purchase the full size.

This review is specifically for the Ambient Light Correcting Primer in the shade "Mood Light." It is very pink and luminous. I used it as a primer under a foundation I have that is very matte and a bit too yellow for my complexion. It makes the matte foundation appear less matte and is a subtle color corrector. However, I would never use it on its own as it is very rosy and could make one appear gravely ill or inflamed. I don't think it's a necessary item to have in most makeup kits, but at least it is non-irritating. I believe "Luminous Light" is a better shade for most fair complexions.