Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

3.8

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This mascara smudges under the eyes, and for the outrageous price that is not acceptable. It does volumize, but also weighs my lashes down making them look weird, curling them first does not help, the more I try to layer on, the more they fall down. This one is not worth the money.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Simply one of the best out there! I've tried drugstore brands and high end including LancĂ´me, Clinique, Dior, tarte, and stila. Stilas huge extreme lash mascara is a close second to Velvet Noir. It is a rich black color! And adds more volume than length. It can get clumpy after one coat so I just comb through with an eyelash comb before applying the second coat. The only issue I have is that I can not use this mascara on my lower lashes because it will smear or transfer to my under eye area. I use a separate basic mascara for my lower lashes. Its a night and day difference when I use this mascara. I also use a mascara primer with this. Love it and the sleek packaging is an added plus for forking out the high price for this mascara.

Can't wrap my head around the negative comments. I guess everyone is just different. This is BY FAR the best mascara I've ever owned.

on 1/19/2017 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This mascara is good, but I feel that its performance is slightly exaggerated. I naturally have quite long lashes, so wanted this mascara just for volume/colour. However, the mascara is very watery and gloopy, and makes my lashes very clumpy. The wand is OK, but for a mascara of its price I would expect something better. Nonetheless, the colour is really dark and the packaging is beautiful.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this on a whim during a Sephora sale and I really regretted it. Yes, the black was really dark and it does lengthen and volumise as stated, but this product is way too smudgy. Just after 2 hours of wear, and I can expect panda eyes (as if my dark circles need more definition). The product is also quite heavy, so much so that it does not really hold a curl really well.

With this is mind, Maybelline is definitely a more cost efficient option which works about the same without the panda eyes.

Since I've found that there's no difference between drugstore and high end mascaras, I stick to my HG Maybelline Lash Sensational because none of my Dior, Chanel or YSL worked as well (the Dior mascara primer is worth it though).

I've got VN as a deluxe sample with purchase. The formula is on the wet side, which I like, but it doesn't smudge- which is great because most mascaras I've tried smudged within half an hour (I have deep set, slightly hooded eyes).
Velvet Noir is especially amazing for lower lashes, doesn't make them clumpy, holds a curl pretty well. The formula is not as black as Lash Sensational. What I like is how quickly it coats all lashes- maybe it's because of the shape of a brush. I admit I can spend well over 5 minutes applying LS mascara to get the effect I want, while with Velvet Noir it all takes two. Considering the price though, I still prefer LS.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my hg mascara for volume. I do have to use a lengthening/separating mascara first and then layer on this mascara. Give you the most volume that you can imagine. Wish they sell the travel size because I can never use up the full size before needing to replace a new one.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I usually don't use or buy high end mascaras (or much HE makeup at all) but the initial reviews, especially Kandee Johnson's YT vid sold me on it. I was not disappointed. After using it pretty consistently for about 4 months, I am still thrilled with it. It has not dried out, if fact, it performs even better than when I first opened the tube. I am able to achieve a dramatic, false-lashes effect in under a minute flat. Best. Mascara. Period. I will continue to buy even though it's expensive IMHO. Love.

on 12/14/2016 6:05:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I bought this on the recommendation of a SA at Sephora who also happened to be an ex-student of mine. It's one of the pricier mascaras I've purchased and, to be honest, I really think it's just not for me. The brush looks kind of ratty but works fine. It does indeed give lots of volume and blackness but I always have to brush through my lashes immediately - before it has time to dry - to brush out clumps, separate my lashes and achieve the considerably more natural look that I prefer. I really don't like looking like I'm wearing a ton of mascara and I certainly don't want a "false lash effect". I like my lashes to look darker, a bit longer and a bit more defined. I get that effect with Clarins's Be Long mascara and also with a Bobbi Brown mascara that no longer seems to be available (I guess because most women want more impact that it delivered, but it was perfect for me). I will use up this product because it was pretty pricey - $33 in Canada - and I'll keep brushing through my lashes each time I used it, but I won't repurchase when I can get results I like better from Clarins ($11 less) or even L'Oreal Voluminous.

on 12/9/2016 8:42:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This gives an insane amount of volume, length and darkness. The brush itself picks up a lot of product and it looks clumpy but it goes on smoothly. Only complaint this is that it's pretty much the only mascara that smudges on me.

Popular Mascaras