Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

3.8

on 10/16/2017 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I like the formula, it doesnt really lengthen but it does what it says and gives major volume. The wand is great, a little big and unwieldy but it separates my lashes very nicely. My only issue with it is that it transfers SO easily and quickly (within an hour or two, stains would start appearing) onto my under eye area really badly even if im just applying it on my top lashes, which is really disappointing and also really hard to fix as it is really very very dark and black. I've found another use for it as a brow gel since i usually have relatively dark hair, it works better as a brow gel for me, no transfers in that area, holds my brow in place all day. The other only redeeming thing about it is that it is pretty easy to remove but the transferring is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

on 9/22/2017 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I picked this up upon recommendation from a Sephora employee. I had told him I had been happy with "Benefit, They're Real" and also how I had liked "Lancome, Hypnose" and he said these would be similar to them. A little of both. I also told mentioned and am telling you that I have pretty long lashes to begin with. I am mostly looking for some volume and thickness. He drew my attention to this Marc Jacobs mascara. He said it was his go to, and it hasn't dissapointed him!
I like it! I can say I am very happy with it. The brush is nice and thick and it has a bit of an hour glass shape to it. I find it helps enhance and give my lashes some volume. It is also good at separating and not clumping. I took a lipstick off for packing because it is really WIDE and hardly fits in the slot in my make up organizer, but all in all no biggie.
I do realize that mascara is a very personal thing. Everybody's lashes are different. What works well for one person, might be a disaster for another. A lot of trial and error is involved when it comes to mascara and if you have stubborn lashes you have to just dive in and give it a shot! My lashes are not stubborn but if yours are, I think this one is worth diving in and giving it a shot. Just my two cents. :-)

on 9/8/2017 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Thanks God that I got this as a gift. Again, another product with a high price tag that failed miserably. Even Maybelline at 1/4 of the price has better wands in its mascaras than this. After layering this about a 100 times, yeah, you see some lengthening but you can get the same from Wet'n'Wild too so why bother? The product doesn't even feel right on my eyes. I felt like wires were sticking out from different angles. Not happy. Back to my MAC and Diorshow.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nothing special, but not bad either. I would give it 4 stars if it was cheaper.
I got the mini version whithin a kit with a gel pencil, so I'm happy I haven't pay full price.

The good things are:
- very good formula for sensitive eyes - no itching, no swelling, nothing after a long day
- volumizing, lengthening after first coat, lashes are visibly bolder, but nothing dramatic
- decent separation, but till second coat

And the bads:
- formula: goes a bit clumpy, second coat will usually stick lashes together and I need to use a lash comb to separate them
- formula again: mascara does not last, I got black marks all over under my brows
- brush: bristles should be more packed to work with thick formula, it is made not to coat individual lashes, but rather stick them together

That's not bad mascara, but bearing the price tag, I will not buy again. For the price I would expect this extra something...

The mascara itself is really quite average. It's dark, thick and does a good job of giving your lashes volume and thickness. What really separates this mascara from the rest is the completely brilliant wand it comes with. It's thick around the edges and concave in the middle, making it possible for you to get your entire lash line in one single stroke. The shorter middle bristles arc around the top of your lashes while the longer bristles captures the ends of your lash line. You have to try it to understand how great this wand it. Very unique mascara.

on 6/17/2017 5:31:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I love this mascara i've been through about 3 tubes already. I will say I do like quite over the top lashes and a bit of clump doesn't bother me too much. It lengthens adds volume and holds my curl, which is really everything I want.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'll start this review with TF Better Than Sex mascara is my HG. I've been through several tubes since I first tried it a year ago. I've still been curious about the MJ Velvet Noir mascara, so when I saw it available as a Sephora point perk, I snatched it up. Even though I still prefer BTS, I really do like this stuff. I found that it performed similarly to BTS, just not quite as dramatic. It doesn't really lengthen, but it did make my lashes dark and thick with no flaking or smudging. If I didn't like such dramatic, borderline clumpy lashes (sounds attractive, but I hope you know what I mean!), I would probably prefer Velvet Noir, but BTS just gives me exactly what I need for a similar price point. I don't think you could go wrong with this mascara, and it's probably my second favorite. I'd repurchase if I couldn't get BTS.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This mascara smudges under the eyes, and for the outrageous price that is not acceptable. It does volumize, but also weighs my lashes down making them look weird, curling them first does not help, the more I try to layer on, the more they fall down. This one is not worth the money.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Simply one of the best out there! I've tried drugstore brands and high end including Lancôme, Clinique, Dior, tarte, and stila. Stilas huge extreme lash mascara is a close second to Velvet Noir. It is a rich black color! And adds more volume than length. It can get clumpy after one coat so I just comb through with an eyelash comb before applying the second coat. The only issue I have is that I can not use this mascara on my lower lashes because it will smear or transfer to my under eye area. I use a separate basic mascara for my lower lashes. Its a night and day difference when I use this mascara. I also use a mascara primer with this. Love it and the sleek packaging is an added plus for forking out the high price for this mascara.

Can't wrap my head around the negative comments. I guess everyone is just different. This is BY FAR the best mascara I've ever owned.