Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

3.8

on 6/17/2017 5:31:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I love this mascara i've been through about 3 tubes already. I will say I do like quite over the top lashes and a bit of clump doesn't bother me too much. It lengthens adds volume and holds my curl, which is really everything I want.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I'll start this review with TF Better Than Sex mascara is my HG. I've been through several tubes since I first tried it a year ago. I've still been curious about the MJ Velvet Noir mascara, so when I saw it available as a Sephora point perk, I snatched it up. Even though I still prefer BTS, I really do like this stuff. I found that it performed similarly to BTS, just not quite as dramatic. It doesn't really lengthen, but it did make my lashes dark and thick with no flaking or smudging. If I didn't like such dramatic, borderline clumpy lashes (sounds attractive, but I hope you know what I mean!), I would probably prefer Velvet Noir, but BTS just gives me exactly what I need for a similar price point. I don't think you could go wrong with this mascara, and it's probably my second favorite. I'd repurchase if I couldn't get BTS.

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This mascara smudges under the eyes, and for the outrageous price that is not acceptable. It does volumize, but also weighs my lashes down making them look weird, curling them first does not help, the more I try to layer on, the more they fall down. This one is not worth the money.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Simply one of the best out there! I've tried drugstore brands and high end including Lancôme, Clinique, Dior, tarte, and stila. Stilas huge extreme lash mascara is a close second to Velvet Noir. It is a rich black color! And adds more volume than length. It can get clumpy after one coat so I just comb through with an eyelash comb before applying the second coat. The only issue I have is that I can not use this mascara on my lower lashes because it will smear or transfer to my under eye area. I use a separate basic mascara for my lower lashes. Its a night and day difference when I use this mascara. I also use a mascara primer with this. Love it and the sleek packaging is an added plus for forking out the high price for this mascara.

Can't wrap my head around the negative comments. I guess everyone is just different. This is BY FAR the best mascara I've ever owned.

on 1/19/2017 4:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

This mascara is good, but I feel that its performance is slightly exaggerated. I naturally have quite long lashes, so wanted this mascara just for volume/colour. However, the mascara is very watery and gloopy, and makes my lashes very clumpy. The wand is OK, but for a mascara of its price I would expect something better. Nonetheless, the colour is really dark and the packaging is beautiful.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I got this on a whim during a Sephora sale and I really regretted it. Yes, the black was really dark and it does lengthen and volumise as stated, but this product is way too smudgy. Just after 2 hours of wear, and I can expect panda eyes (as if my dark circles need more definition). The product is also quite heavy, so much so that it does not really hold a curl really well.

With this is mind, Maybelline is definitely a more cost efficient option which works about the same without the panda eyes.

Since I've found that there's no difference between drugstore and high end mascaras, I stick to my HG Maybelline Lash Sensational because none of my Dior, Chanel or YSL worked as well (the Dior mascara primer is worth it though).

I've got VN as a deluxe sample with purchase. The formula is on the wet side, which I like, but it doesn't smudge- which is great because most mascaras I've tried smudged within half an hour (I have deep set, slightly hooded eyes).
Velvet Noir is especially amazing for lower lashes, doesn't make them clumpy, holds a curl pretty well. The formula is not as black as Lash Sensational. What I like is how quickly it coats all lashes- maybe it's because of the shape of a brush. I admit I can spend well over 5 minutes applying LS mascara to get the effect I want, while with Velvet Noir it all takes two. Considering the price though, I still prefer LS.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This is my hg mascara for volume. I do have to use a lengthening/separating mascara first and then layer on this mascara. Give you the most volume that you can imagine. Wish they sell the travel size because I can never use up the full size before needing to replace a new one.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I usually don't use or buy high end mascaras (or much HE makeup at all) but the initial reviews, especially Kandee Johnson's YT vid sold me on it. I was not disappointed. After using it pretty consistently for about 4 months, I am still thrilled with it. It has not dried out, if fact, it performs even better than when I first opened the tube. I am able to achieve a dramatic, false-lashes effect in under a minute flat. Best. Mascara. Period. I will continue to buy even though it's expensive IMHO. Love.