Marc Jacobs Velvet Noir Major Volume Mascara

3.8

on 11/26/2017 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I’m absolutely in love with this mascara. I’m usually disappointed with the sample mascaras I get through Sephora’s Play! boxes, but this was a home run. With just one coat it gives me gorgeously thick lashes that aren’t clumpy. Two coats is all it takes for a sexy nighttime look. I’ll definitely be buying a full-size tube when I finish the sample.

on 11/23/2017 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I got the mini size with my Sephora Beauty Insider reward and I'm glad I didn't have to pay actual money for it. While it's not a bad product at all, I don't find it exceptional in any way that would justify the $26 price tag for a full size tube.

PROS:
-VERY rich, inky black. My hair and lashes are already really dark, so it's nice to find something that takes it up another notch.
-The formula looks glossy and wet on the wand, allowing it to really coat the lashes, but dries quickly enough to avoid any smudges.
-Thickens and volumizes nicely for a wide-awake look.
-No flaking or smearing as the day goes on.
-Comes off cleanly with a cotton pad soaked in micellar water.

CONS:
-Very poor lengthening power. If you have shorter lashes, pass on this one.
-Has a tendency to stick lashes together. This can lead to a spidery look if applied too quickly.
-DEFINITELY not a "running out the door" kind of product. You really need to take your time to avoid a clustered lash look.
-The wand's blunt end makes reaching the smaller lashes on your inner corners next to impossible. It's also hard to reach the lashes at the very outer edge of the eye without getting product on the lower lashes. I don't like mascara on my lower lashline, so this really bothers me.

Overall, an average product at an above average price. I'll continue to use my sample because it's not BAD in any way, but I wouldn't buy.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I got this in my Play box. It's not awful but it's not good enough to repurchase. It is lengthening and volumizing but so clumpy. Too much comes off on the wand so I have to wipe if off to avoid spider lashes. I also cannot get my bottom lashes without creating a mess on my lower lashline. I much prefer the it cosmetics super hero mascara

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this in the travel size as a point perk from Sephora I liked it so much that I got two more using my point perks. I’m still on the first tube but it has definitely replaced my too faced better than sex mascara. I feel like it’s more blacker and does not dry out fast like the too faced one does. Definitely everything I’m looking for in a mascara. Long , voluminous, black lashes, seperates them nicely and holds the curl. Would love if it wasn’t as pricey though.

on 10/16/2017 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I like the formula, it doesnt really lengthen but it does what it says and gives major volume. The wand is great, a little big and unwieldy but it separates my lashes very nicely. My only issue with it is that it transfers SO easily and quickly (within an hour or two, stains would start appearing) onto my under eye area really badly even if im just applying it on my top lashes, which is really disappointing and also really hard to fix as it is really very very dark and black. I've found another use for it as a brow gel since i usually have relatively dark hair, it works better as a brow gel for me, no transfers in that area, holds my brow in place all day. The other only redeeming thing about it is that it is pretty easy to remove but the transferring is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

on 9/22/2017 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I picked this up upon recommendation from a Sephora employee. I had told him I had been happy with "Benefit, They're Real" and also how I had liked "Lancome, Hypnose" and he said these would be similar to them. A little of both. I also told mentioned and am telling you that I have pretty long lashes to begin with. I am mostly looking for some volume and thickness. He drew my attention to this Marc Jacobs mascara. He said it was his go to, and it hasn't dissapointed him!
I like it! I can say I am very happy with it. The brush is nice and thick and it has a bit of an hour glass shape to it. I find it helps enhance and give my lashes some volume. It is also good at separating and not clumping. I took a lipstick off for packing because it is really WIDE and hardly fits in the slot in my make up organizer, but all in all no biggie.
I do realize that mascara is a very personal thing. Everybody's lashes are different. What works well for one person, might be a disaster for another. A lot of trial and error is involved when it comes to mascara and if you have stubborn lashes you have to just dive in and give it a shot! My lashes are not stubborn but if yours are, I think this one is worth diving in and giving it a shot. Just my two cents. :-)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nothing special, but not bad either. I would give it 4 stars if it was cheaper.
I got the mini version whithin a kit with a gel pencil, so I'm happy I haven't pay full price.

The good things are:
- very good formula for sensitive eyes - no itching, no swelling, nothing after a long day
- volumizing, lengthening after first coat, lashes are visibly bolder, but nothing dramatic
- decent separation, but till second coat

And the bads:
- formula: goes a bit clumpy, second coat will usually stick lashes together and I need to use a lash comb to separate them
- formula again: mascara does not last, I got black marks all over under my brows
- brush: bristles should be more packed to work with thick formula, it is made not to coat individual lashes, but rather stick them together

That's not bad mascara, but bearing the price tag, I will not buy again. For the price I would expect this extra something...

on 9/8/2017 12:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Thanks God that I got this as a gift. Again, another product with a high price tag that failed miserably. Even Maybelline at 1/4 of the price has better wands in its mascaras than this. After layering this about a 100 times, yeah, you see some lengthening but you can get the same from Wet'n'Wild too so why bother? The product doesn't even feel right on my eyes. I felt like wires were sticking out from different angles. Not happy. Back to my MAC and Diorshow.

The mascara itself is really quite average. It's dark, thick and does a good job of giving your lashes volume and thickness. What really separates this mascara from the rest is the completely brilliant wand it comes with. It's thick around the edges and concave in the middle, making it possible for you to get your entire lash line in one single stroke. The shorter middle bristles arc around the top of your lashes while the longer bristles captures the ends of your lash line. You have to try it to understand how great this wand it. Very unique mascara.

on 6/17/2017 5:31:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I love this mascara i've been through about 3 tubes already. I will say I do like quite over the top lashes and a bit of clump doesn't bother me too much. It lengthens adds volume and holds my curl, which is really everything I want.