Kat Von D Shade and Light Eye Contour Palette

Shade and Light Eye Contour PaletteShade and Light Eye Contour Palette

2.7

on 9/7/2016 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

As a woman nearing my 40's with fine lines lids that are starting to show my age this pallet is one that I have a love/hate relationship with. I am a pallet junkie and have to buy every pallet I see as soon as they come out so the fact that this is an 'eye contouring pallet' as opposed to an eye shadow pallet was a unique concept to me.

I am usually heavy handed with my makeup but with this pallet I needed to realize I was contouring my eye to 'lift, balance and define' and after I watched some tutorials to figure it out (as opposed to applying this like eye shadow) I liked it.

I always use a primer with this, lately my favorite has been the Smashbox 24 hour photo finish though previously I was an UD die hard...but I digress!

Pros:

* Rich color
* Matte
* Pigmented
* Blendable

Cons

* Fall out
* Some colors are chalky and look muddy if overlapped

Overall this is a good pallet, it is not my favorite and if I am wanting to contour my eye area I can use my Anastasia pallet to be perfectly honest (the coloring and texture is better/finer).

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I hate to be the dissenter here and there are some excellent things about this product. The frustrations overpower them for now.
Pros
-decent value: many shades and substantial product for the price
-pigmented
-long-lasting with primer
-well-coordinated shades
-"cool" and "warm" match my pale, yellow-toned skin and dark hair well (oddly "neutral" makes me look sick)

Cons
-all flat matte shades
-difficult to blend, especially with pigmentation
-flakes easily and the runoff shifts all over the other shades in the palette and taints them
-hard to work with compared to my Urban Decay and MAC longwear: those are long-wearing and pigmented, but easy to blend and control for different looks

I love things about this palette, but find it difficult to work with at times, messy with runoff and just too matte.

The most frustrating part is trying to do contour, lashline, etc, and having too pigmented blotches that won't blend enough, but also aren't targeted enough to emphasize certain areas only. It doesn't "glide" enough and the fallout gets everywhere. The dry, powdery nature mixed with + pigment means extra product on the brush that falls everywhere and sticks where it falls. I hate how no matter what brush I use, extra powder comes off in the pan and sticks to the brush.

My eyes just end up looking messy. In contrast, I can easily work with Urban Decay (individual pots) and MAC to layer, blend, and emphasize flexibly.

Will continue trying to work with this, since I like the shades and lasting power!

on 8/16/2016 3:28:00 PM

I didn't like this product nearly as much as I thought I would. I was so excited to get it but it just looked kind of muddy and dull on me (and yes I was using good brushes). I think I was a little underwhelmed since I already have the Naked Basic palette which I primarily used for mattes. I typically love Kat Von D products but this one was a miss for me.

Video Reviews & Tutorials