I thought loooong and hard before buying this powder! It was between this one and the Laura Mercier translucent powder, however the hype for the Charlotte Tilbury one won me over, plus the fact that her products are cruelty free whereas LM's aren't.
My main reason to use powder is to set my under eye concealer, as I was desperate to find something (anything!!) that would stop the creasing of my concealer. I have very dark under eye circles so wear a fairly heavy amount of concealer, I can't really get away without it. The creasing is a huge bugbear of mine, as I don't actually have any wrinkles under or around my eyes, so when I get this cracking I feel it ages me a lot.
So I took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and bought the CT compact in the lightest colour 'Fair'. Here are my thoughts...
- this powder is very finely milled, soft and smooth and does have the blurring effect that I read about from other reviews, which is quite flattering.
- you only need a tiny amount on your brush to give a decent amount of coverage.
- I've found that once I apply this in the morning first thing before heading off to work, it literally stays in place all day under eyes. I use a small amount to get rid of shine around forehead and nose - these areas sometimes need topping up towards the end of the day.
- good for on-the-go application or packing into your makeup bag to travel with as the compact is really quite small and thin so doesn't take up much room.
- cruelty free is also a huge pro.
- Whilst I wouldn't say I've experienced this powder oxidising (as others have said in reviews), it isn't as colourless as I had imagined or hoped it would be. The sales assistant in the shop suggested I go for fair over the medium colour, as this would have a more brightening effect, and I'm glad I did. On me it has a yellow-ish colour to it, which isn't really what I wanted, however this might be the tones in my concealer or foundation showing through!
- it is very mattifying on the skin, I wouldn't say it gives a dry appearance but I really wanted this to be brightening under the eye and more light reflective, whereas the overall appearance is quite dull (however the payoff is that it doesn't budge, as mentioned above!).
- no surprises on this one as I read so many times, you really don't get much for your money. The compact is very light and the packaging is pretty, but it would be nice to have a bit more weight to it for the amount it costs.
So overall, it is a good powder, but not the dream one that I had hoped it might be! I'm not convinced I would buy it again, so my quest might continue on finding the best one out there for me. I am on the search for a new concealer so maybe I'll find one that works in better harmony.