Tweezerman Smooth Finish Facial Hair Remover

Tweezerman Smooth Finish Facial Hair Remover

4.8

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've seen this thing for years and until I happened upon the MUA reviews I assumed it was a piece of crap. I never gave it any thought because it looks kind of archaic and super painful. I'm pretty good at tolerating most pain, particularly for the cause (the cause being beauty of course), but this reminded me of an earring/bracelet set I had years ago which was made of a gold-tone coil. I wore it for an hour and during that hour I cried about four times due to the occasional arm and head hair-catch and pull.
The thing about my facial hair is that it really sneaks up on a bitch. Most of it is very fine and blonde and virtually undetectable. Which lulls me into a false sense of security, until seemingly out of nowhere I will be horrified to see that there are a few long black hairs on my chin, and a few creepers on my upper lip, foo man choo style. I have tried to be vigilant about this and honestly I have no idea how these hairs grow so long when I'm not looking. And only when I'm not looking. My only solace is that my mother has never mentioned them, which means she hasn't noticed them, which means no one else has noticed them either. Unlike other people, she never feels the societal pressures the rest of us feel not to mock and insult others (me) while pointing out their flaws and shortcomings. But I digress.
I knew this would be good cause y'all said so. I ran out of the strip-less wax I normally use, and also have been self tanning a lot this summer, so wax was a delicate balance of scheduling so it didn't leave certain areas too smooth, causing uneven tan absorption, or rip the tan off along with the 'stache.
Also I don't love having to wax just for the occasional (albeit black) stray, and tweezing leaves me feeling uneasy because after finding witch hairs I had no clue were abound, I really don't trust myself to find them all. Also, considering that they are so prominent they are deceptively fine, and will occasionally break off instead of pull out, leaving me me a sense of impending doom.
So of course, this gadget is absolutely perfect. I've waxed, gotten electrolysis, at home Tria laser, shaved, tweezed, threaded: you name it. I assume that the electrolysis worked to a point and I would likely look like one of the Village People had I not had it years ago (at my mother's behest). This is a great solution for facial hair. I am particularly fond of the fact that I don't need to heat anything, plug anything in, and don't even really need a mirror! This simple tool goes about it's job while finding the hairs as it goes. So easy. Definitely painful on the upper lip, more so than most other methods in my experience, but not painful enough to stop me or warrant taking a pain killer prior (although I highly recommend that before hair removal of any kind for those who need it). There was a brief learning curve but hardly worth mentioning. I do agree with another reviewer who stated that the coils on the sides are more effective. Possibly because they appear to be more tightly wound.
So YES- excellent inexpensive effective efficient way to rid your face of unwanted hair!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this on a whim two years ago while I was traveling. It was perfect at the time because I wasn't able to get my usual threading session before I left. When I got home, I completely forgot about it, and went on with my usual threading session every month.

I found it again at this point that I really needed to get rid of my upper lip hair, and instead of going to the mall, I used this. I forgot how well it works!

I use this when I don't feel like spending, and I have the time to sit and use it. It does take a lot of time, but it really does leave a smooth finish.

To Read all 14 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

And the Angels are singing. Hallelujah!!
So I'm a fair red head with very sensitive skin. I have lots of peach fuzz and the occasional coarse dark hair. When I apply foundation it emphasizes the hair on my upper lip-not cute.
I saw a video about face shaving so first I used little face razors and tweezed. Tweezing didn't get the peach fuzz and shaving doesn't last long, isn't very smooth, and makes me nervous about regrowth. So then I tried the Sally Hansen facial hair removing cream. The problem I had with it was in order for it to remove the hair I had to leave it on long enough to get a chemical burn. So I had a nice smooth burned lip that flaked and peeled and took a week to heal. Next I tried an epilator. I have a larger Braun epilator with a facial attachment. Loved it for my legs, but it was too big, too awkward, and suuuuuuuper painful on my face. I thought about buying an epilator for the face, but they don't have great reviews and I didn't want to spend that much when I had just invested so much in a nicer epilator that I should have been able to use on my face.
So then I found this. I cannot believe how easy this is to use. You can target specific areas really well. I can maneuver it around my upper lip easily. It's quick. You just twist the little metal twisty part, not the entire apparatus (which is what I thought you did whenever I saw pictures of this thing). It is painful. You are yanking out hair. But it is way less painful than an epilator and the pain is much briefer than a burn that lasts a week and it removes baby hair and coarse hair alike. I am really really happy with this. It is my answer! Now I can throw all that other stuff away (except my epilator). I seriously cannot believe how simple and good this product is. It doesn't have the greatest reviews on the Sephora website, but the overwhelmingly good reviews here convinced me to buy it. I'm soooooo happy I did.

on 4/18/2016 5:27:00 PM

This is a beautiful thing. Rather than repeat others’ praise, let me offer some advice in maximizing it.

For context, I’ve got coarse hair around my chin that isn’t heavy in terms of amount but is pretty randomly spread out, often in hard to reach places. And visible. And hasn’t slowed down. Over the years, it’s been waxed (professionally and at home), threaded and tweezed.

First, if you’re sensitive to these services above, this is going to hurt to the same degree. Because basically? You're yanking out hair. I have never had any problems with waxing etc so this doesn’t bother me at all. If you’re sensitive, you should follow the same pre- and post-fixes that are generally recommended for other treatments.

Also, there’s using this right and, then, really USING THIS RIGHT. If you’re just trying to get a lot of softer upper-lip or cheek hair in one fell swoop, the method recommended in videos and such is fine. If you’re trying to get coarser scattered hairs, position the loop as close to those individual hairs as possible and keep the tool in place but keep turning, turning, turning until you catch the hair. Coarser individual hairs take a longer and more focused effort. Once you catch a few of these, you’ll be able to gauge how many twists of the handles it takes you to get the wires moving the right way to work.

And yes, this does take time. Sit in front of the TV or on the phone for a while and work it. But remember that it'll save time spent running back and forth to a salon and the cost of doing so, plus as someone who’s scalded myself a few times with hot wax, it won’t do the kind of damage other treatments can cause. And as far as I’ve been able to tell, it is indeed reducing the amount of growth. So I’m going to stock up on a few.

Note that instructions in the box and online are modest at best. I emailed them to find out how to clean this and was told to use rubbing alcohol.

on 1/3/2016 8:35:00 PM

This works. However, I envy anyone who claims it doesn't hurt. The first time I used it, I suffered through my upper lip, enduring the eyewatering sting, afterwards conflicted, marveling at my smooth lip while seriously wondering if I'd ever do it again. But the second time, I had a plan: a combo of ice and Oralgel mouth sore pain relief cream. Not much pain! I don't think I could bear this on a larger area (like my fuzzy cheeks/jawline), but for my femstache (which I'm most concerned about) it's great. The side coils are more effective than the apex, I think. Giving four stars because there are plenty of grabs without actually succeeding in removing hair, like coarser hairs. But overall a great gadget!

on 12/12/2015 11:35:00 AM

Wow, ran into this gem at a drugstore. It works really well on fine, nearly invisible facial hairs. What a find!

on 11/9/2015 2:48:00 PM

I'm SO glad I stumbled across reviews for this. It saves me money that would normally go towards threading, so definitely worth the upfront cost to me (which isn't even that much). I wouldn't use this on eyebrows (it's not precise enough IMO) but go to town on your upper lip and other small fuzzy areas!

I actually found it incredible easy to use. It does sting, but tolerably. My upper lip sprouts a mixture of very fine tiny hairs and a few thicker, dark ones. This tool does good work with the fine hairs, removing about 98% of them easily. The stragglers are just in a more inaccessable location (right under my nose). It's not as good at removing the thicker hairs, but those are far more easily removed with a tweezer than those baby hairs, so I'm totally cool with it.

The first time I used it, I did experience a little irritation and some ingrown hairs/zits but after that I make sure to clean both the tool and my upper lip area well with hydrogen peroxide before and after use, and it never happened again.

It's easy, convenient, effective, and saves dough. Highly recommended.

on 11/8/2015 6:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I used this for the first time today on my upper lip and it removed all the hair! I'll admit it took forever to get rid of it all, but that's because it is a little tricky to use at first but when you get the hang of it it's a breeze, just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

on 9/23/2015 11:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This little gem is the game-changer of the decade as far as I'm concerned. I'm totally blown away by how simple it is to use, and how *completely* effective it is for hair removal. I'd read every review here, (& everywhere else!) so when it arrived I was ready to go. I won't repeat the directions for use, as they've already been written about (beautifully) in the other reviews. In the past I've tried waxing (at home) with mixed results, and have basically just been using my handy Tweezerman tweezers for quite a while now. Needless to say, individual hair tweezing is labor-intensive & time-consuming, and I never really felt as satisfied with the finished result as I wanted to be. Enter the amazing Smooth Finish Facial Hair Remover. On my very first try, I am *completely* hair-free (upper lip & chin area) in less than 10 minutes! Not exaggerating. It gets every single hair! And now that I have the technique mastered (soooo easy!) I'm sure it will take me 5 minutes next time. As for the pain factor - I found it not problematic at all. Yes, you're pulling out many hairs at one time, so you feel it, but after the first few tries, I got used to it. I do not find that the minor discomfort detracts in any way from this item. This is a complete life-changer for me, and I am incredibly happy that I ran across it. If it were $50 - it would still be a steal. Actually!

on 8/1/2015 4:39:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I am so impressed with the Tweezerman Smooth Finish Facial Hair Remover. It's definitely a unique, lesser known method of removing facial hair. It'll be a little tough to explain-- the inner part of the arc (Tweezerman logo facing toward you) is meant to be placed onto facial hairs you want to remove, while you continue to twist the metal nobs (both at once) in the direction of the arrows. This causes the springs within the arc to close into the hairs, pulling them out. It seems similar to threading in a way. I use this primarily on my upper lip. When using on the upper lip, it's best to keep skin taut, the same way you would when getting threaded. I sometimes use this on the lighter hairs on my chin and jaw too (peach fuzz), and it has worked so well for that. I would suggest getting facial hair removed through your preferred method first (I prefer threading), and then using the Tweezerman tool when there is some hair growth but not so much that it's back to its usual state. Then from then on, use this gem whenever new little hairs grow in and you will be, *gasp*, hair free! As in, all the time! I was SO tired of having to go to the threading salon to get my upper lip threaded-- and of course, I'd only go when the hairs had grown in and were unsightly, at least to me. This little tool has been amazing for me... now I can just use it whenever little hairs grow in so that I don't need to have the dreaded "female 'stache." It is so nice to know there is an effective facial hair remover out there, because for my preferences, most of what's available at drugstores (depilatory creams, waxes) is not for me. Yay for this little gem! I recommend this to anyone looking for an alternative to traditional facial hair removal methods that are either too ineffective, too messy, too much of a hassle, etc. This is absolutely HG material for me.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools