MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up

MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up
Retro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired Up

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

This is my first time trying one of MAC's retro matte lipsticks. I have NARS velvet matte Dragon Girl and I'm quite surprised how similar in color and texture All Fired up is to Dragon girl. If anything MAC's is just a hint more on the pink side. Once applied to the lips, I couldn't even tell a difference between the two. I fell in love with Nars but considering you only get 2.4 g in their jumbo pencil and 3.0g in MAC's lipstick, it's a no brainer when it comes down to the cost. You'll save 10 bucks and get more color going with MAC. I found all fired up comfortable to wear. I didn't experience any tugging, patchiness, or dryness while using it. If you're someone that enjoys the velvet matte pencils by NARS, try the retro matte collection. Your wallet will thank you :-)

on 12/12/2015 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a unique colour. It's a cool toned mix between cherry red, deep fuschia and dark pink with blue undertones and can look either more red or more pink, depending on your skin and the liner you use. It brightens the face, makes the teeth look whiter and compliments especially dark blue, light purple and lavender and also stark white clothes. Looks great with a winged eye liner or with just mascara, and is more modern and fresh-looking than a classic red lip. It attracts a lot of attention from other people.

The reason I'm giving it a 3 and not more is the formula. Yes, it is long lasting, but it is extremely dry and difficult to work with. It's a lipstick you need to spend at least 10-15 minutes to apply correctly and to make it look good you absoluteley need to exfoliate your lips, properly moisturise them, use a lip primer, line them with a lip liner, apply with a lip brush after having worked the lipstick on the back of your hand in order to warm it up, sharpen the edges of your lips with a beige liner or concealer and top it off with a tiny bit of gloss. While you're at it, dab a little shimmery shadow on the middle of you bottom lip as well.

If you don't do all that, it's going to emphasise all the dry patches and lines of your lips and make them look pruny, small, uneven and miserable.

See what I mean? It's going to look lovely, but you're going to need like 6-7 more products in order to make it so. And take your time. This is no slap_it_on_and_get_out_the_door lipstick.

Also, it's difficult to touch up. After 4-5 hours the lipstick on your inner bottom lip might go away, especially if you drink, eat or smoke. It's hit or miss if it's going to take with it the dry skin of your lips. Because, make no mistake, your lips are going to get dry after some hours, even with all this preparation. If the skin goes away along with the lipstick there is no way you are going to make this formula stick to the inner lip again. Have at hand a dark fuschia balm to apply there.

It's a lovely colour but for me, it's not worth the hassle, so I'm not going to repurchase. I'm also extremely sceptical abour purchasing Ruby Woo, because I'm affraid I'm going to face the same issues. I really wish that they did these colours in Matte formula. Retro Matte is way too dry, in my opinion.

EDIT: I found out it works best with the MAC Prep + Prime Lip primer. Seriously, MAC. Couldn't they just tell us this little bit of crucial information?

on 10/22/2013 10:49:00 PM

I have to agree with the other reviewer. The color is very similar to Nars Dragon Girl, which I adore. It's also similar to MakeUpGeek (MUG) Ravishing. The texture is very smooth and much easier to apply than the MUG and the NARS is a bit drier. The MAC just glides on. Plus you get less with NARS and more product with MAC. This color brightens your whole look. I would repurchase.

on 4/4/2014 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

First, let me say this whole line of Retro Mattes are AMAZING my favorite formula ever. The wear is amazing...not only for longevity, but they wear away so perfect and even, not patchiness. Now onto the color. Its a pinky red, very bright. The color its actual closet to is NARS Luxemborg, which is one of my favorite NARS colors. Luxemborg is more glossy though, All Fired Up completely matte...of course. What I love is I can actually use the two layered to change the texture, and since the both wear amazing I don't have to worry about constant touch ups like you normally do with a bright lip! I don't find these overly drying, and this is as someone who is NOT a fan of "long wear" lip products. If you're afraid to try a "true" red, this is great color to try instead for a bright lip look. The color is super flattering and I could see it working on a variety of skin tones. It also makes your teeth look super white, and who doesn't love that!!!

on 3/20/2014 8:24:00 AM

Gorgeous colour! I use with MAC cherry lipliner and always get compliments

on 1/26/2015 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Many people claim that retro mattes dry your lips out much more than regular matte lipsticks. However, this wasn't my experience. I found it to be a quite comfortable wear that last well for about 6 hours. The color is kind of like a starwberry red and I love it!! Becuase I had already given too much of money to Mac and so I decided to pair it with a the wet and wild fuschia lip liner and think it marched pretty well. I love the warm undertones of all fired up. Most fuschia lip sticks tend to have cooler undertones so I was delighted when I came across all fired up. I definetly reccomend this product to others!

on 10/17/2014 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I consider All Fired Up a more girly version of my beloved Ruby Woo, totally eye catching. The retro matte finish is gorgeous and lasts forever but can be drying and uncomfortable. Despite that it looks so vivid and flattering it's worth the trouble. Would recommend!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

If u want something really matte go for this!.. All fired up became my favorite color , so pigmented and sooo matte, i get many compliments and people always ask me what lipstick im wearing :)

I can't really say that I dislike the product because it doesn't suit me. But what I would say is be VERY careful before purchasing it because on my skin tone and everything it just didn't work and didn't suit me one bit! When I saw this product on someone else online I thought it looked amazing so I went to mac and tested it on my hand and it didn't look that bright at all but it certainly is. Now I have it at home and I have tried it about 3 times now to make it work for me but it just doesn't suit me.

Amazing colour :) Downsides: the formula isn't very creamy so it's a bit hard to apply. Also fairly drying. If you have any flakey/dry skin on your lips at all, this will only make it worse!