Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

Paula's Choice RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30
RESIST Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30

4.1

Not tested on animals

Active Ingredient: Zinc Oxide 13% (broad-spectrum sunscreen agent). Other Ingredients: Water, Cyclopentasiloxane (silicone slip agent), PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Dimethicone Crosspolymer (silicone suspending agent), PEG-12 Dimethicone (silicone-based thickener), Resveratrol, Quercetin, Epigallocatechin Gallate (antioxidants), Tocopheryl Acetate (vitamin E/antioxidant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (vitamin C/antioxidant), Adenosine (cell-communicating ingredient), Lauroyl Lysine (skin-conditioning agent), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Trihydroxystearin (thickener), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (anti-irritant), Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract (antioxidant), Haemstococcus Pluvialis Extract (astaxanthin/antioxidant), Hydrolyzed Corn Starch (thickener/mattifying agent), Polysorbate 80 (emulsifier), Hydrolyzed Silica (thickener/mattifying agent), Triethoxycaprylylsilane (silicone-based binding agent), C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (emollient thickener), Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate (texture enhancer), Caprylyl Glycol, Hexylene Glycol (preservatives), Sodium Chloride (stabilizer), Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol (preservatives), Iron Oxides (natural pigment).

on 9/11/2018 9:36:00 AM

It was a bit of a journey for me with this one. The first time I tried it it dried my skin and oxidized my mineral powder foundation and turned my face orange. So if you use heavy-ish foundation that will probably be an issue with this moisturizer.

I am very very acne prone and surprisingly I had no problems with this silicone-full formula, which encouraged me to look for ways to use the product. The ultimate solution was to use an Asian-style toner/lotion like Hada Labo first (plus a doze of mist) and seal it with this moisturizer. This left my skin both hydrated and protected throughout the day. I don't use foundation any more, just some concealer and light powder on top and this way makeup oxidization in not an issue any more. The ultimate test will be how this product fares in cold windy winter.
PS. I use this moisturizer and the Hada Labo lotion around my eyes as well instead of a separate eye cream and the results are amazing: concealer doesn't crease as much and my milia was also reduced.

on 4/21/2018 10:07:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Unfortunately too visible on my NC/NW 15 skin. I have hormonal adult acne and melasma, so I need high daily spf that won't increase my acne...

A "shake-well" formula, a thin fluid that is quite easy to spread. The consistency is fine, but my problem is that it feel like it sits on the top of the skin.... I guess all mineral sunscreens do that, but you don't always "feel" them. When i touch the face i can feel it's there...

It also gives that typical mineral look after a while - just as mineral makeup can do especially on scarred and blemished skin - a floating tinted residue....

It contains a lot of silicones- on a normal/mixed skin I think this could work perfectly as a primer under makeup. My skin usually breaks out by silicones so I didn't care to use the whole tube up.

Summary; really good formula for maybe mixed skin darker than NW/nc 15 and that does not have active acne.

on 5/11/2017 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Overpriced and too light a tint for my NC 30-35 skintone. I have combination skin, tending towards dry, but this is also a bit too moisturizing and rich (however, most reviews find it too mattifying and drying and recommend it for oily skin). I don't think it broke me out and I used it extensively last summer. But, I don't think I will repurchase. If I wanted a tint, Roche posay tinted sunscreen is more flattering, easier to blend etc and my skin is more comfortable with it. I found the review of Shizuku2 below very helpful.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

EDIT 3-9-17: Ended up returning. Just couldn't get over the caking and discovered it was causing red welts and itching. I've NEVER had luck with any physical sunscreens and keep falling for the idea they are better for sensitive skin. Not Me. I will continue search for gentle, chemical sunscreen!

Pros:
- I'm about NW20-ish and the tint is perfect but very very sheer. Really all it does for me at least is "blur" out my skin but that's to be expected
- keeps my oily skin nice and matte for a reasonable length of time
- very easy on my sensitive skin. No breakouts or redness flare-ups
Cons:
- impossible to wear concealer or powder foundation over it! It does a really weird thing to even the tiniest spot concealing-like it sucks it up or something
- tried a couple of different powder foundations (MUFE and Shiseido) and even applied as lightly as humanly possible they looked awful and caked very badly. Only thing that added any coverage was to very lightly dust LM loose powder over.

I will not repurchase but keep to wear in yard, golf course, beach, etc. I think if it was more of a liquid and less of a cream it might work under makeup. If I didn't want to add any concealer or foundation at all it would be pretty great.

on 2/18/2017 12:55:00 PM

For once I though that maybe I have a sunscreen that will not turn me into an oil slick but nope! Broke me out like crazy. Not just small whiteheads but huge, red, painful bumps. For all the claims that Paula makes, she sure doesn't know how to formulate a product for acne prone skin. So much for ingredients talk.

However if you don't have acne prone skin but do have oily skin, you might want to give it a try.

on 2/9/2017 4:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

If you hate the chemical smell and oily texture of most sunscreens, this is the one for you. It is a mineral zinc oxide sunscreen that is tinted so you won't get the white cast inherent with physical sunscreens. This is not a tinted moisturizer or foundation so don't expect coverage. You can expect good sun protection with a matte neutral finish. Texture is like a lotion - not thick cream, so it spreads easily. It's great around the eyes - doesn't sting like chemical based formulas or even chemical/physical combination formulas.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Merp. Not a "universal tint" (what kind of wording is that anyways? low key racist...). I consider my skin to be essentially neutral undertoned (with very very slight yellow tint) and medium in color (as in, medium on the global scale of skin color, not medium for Caucasian skin). That puts me at about a less yellow NC40-42. This sunscreen is wayyyy too pink and pale if you're as dark or darker than myself. And because you really should use 1/4 tsp to get the full protection, it looks absurd. Not as bad as a pure white cast, but still kind of odd and dull. I also have oily skin and this does NOT sit well through the day. It ends up looking kind of pasty by the end of the day and my skin looks greasier than if I use something like Trader Joe's Enrich SPF 15. It's pretty nonirritating, however, so if you're somewhere around NC20-30, you could probably get away with this and it's nice to use only physical sunscreen filters. Wish they offered this in various color ranges. I do appreciate how this doesn't have a totally orange undertone.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is a tinted spf mattifying moisturizer. The tint looks too dark for me as I am quite fair but it blends out and I can't even tell it's on.
The sunscreen has been good, no sensitivity. It doesn't make me itch. It does not have a white cast. It does not smell like sunscreen. I am very breakout prone and I've never broken out from this. The cream is a medium thickness and smooths on beautifully and works under makeup.
It does help me control oil. I'm more of a combo but if I don't wear anything mattifying on my face, I can't handel how oily my face is at the end of the day. But I've never been a blotter so I'm not THAT oily. I have gone through 2 tubes (one tube lasts me close to a year of daily use) of the this and am quite pleased with it. I feel the price point is fair, especially if you wait for 20% off which happens frequently. I kind of want to try something different the next time I run out, but I always come back to this because finding a mattifying spf moisturizer is tough. Also, I do not use primers under makeup. Just this. Primers usually make me oily or do nothing for me. My makeup lays just fine over this. Lately I've had issues with flaky dry patches which I think is from some lactic exfoliation I've been using and my foundation hasn't worn very well. So I definitely wouldn't recommend this moisturizer if you have dry patches.

on 9/10/2016 6:20:00 AM

Hopefully I had a sample before purchasing it. It's too matifiying for me. I could see little lines on my face that I won't see with any other moisturizer (and don't forget this tends to be a moisturizer, and not a bb cream!) and my face felt a little bit dry. Also, my eyelids got really sticky when I closed my eyes...

This product is a good choice if you are avoiding chemicals uv filters (and also if you avoid that white cast of mineral sunscreens). But it didn't work for me... I wish I like it because it has really good ingredients.

If you have oily skin, you may like it!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Best Daytime Eyelid Cream for extremely oily lids.

Some background on my eyelids. They get super oily/sebumy. You know what breaks down water proof makeup? Oil. So, waterproof formulas only work for me when I'm sweating, and my eyelids natural oil production breaks down such formulas. Eyelid primers such as Milani or UDPP don't work for me. Too Faced works a little better. Nyx waterproof is my favorite drugstore and Nars Smudgeproof is my HG.
I like using a lot of SPF during the day, layering SPF makeup over my regular SPF.

Around my eyes, I prefer mineral/physical titanium dioxide or zinc oxide because it doesn't sting. *Fun fact: zinc oxide offers a wee bit better UVA protection*.

Most formulas are too moist on my eyelid and make my eye makeup slick off. Even on non-makeup days, I feel any SPF is slicking off and not offering any protection.

This however, keeps my eyelid and lower lashline matte and protected with no stinging at all.

By itself, this works extremely well as an eyelid primer but I use Benefit Air Patrol just to have a base especially for use on eyelids. Thanks to this, I no longer have to use Air Patrol too close to my lashline, where it tends to sting a bit. By itself, its smooth and keeps eyeshadow lasting but doesn't quite help eyeshadow "popping" or looking improved on me.

The tint isn't too noticeable on my ochre NC30 skintone, especially when I cover up with makeup, though it is a more neutral-toned than my skin.

On non-makeup days, this works really well and feels like it's not going anywhere. On active days, it layers really well on top of itself without feeling heavy.

If you have smaller, extremely oily and sensitive areas, I really recommend this as a daytime cream. If you have really oily and sensitive skin all over your face, I think there are cheaper options out there like from Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 50 or Coppertone Oil-Free SPF 30. Since I use this as a daytime eye cream, a little goes a long way.

Either way, the ingredient list is beautiful and the price is pretty justifiable, especially when there are sales or coupon codes. If you have issues with SPF and oil production, I'd give this a go.