NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder

4.3

synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, glycerin, squalane, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, polysorbate 80, caprylyl glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, carrageenan, xanthan gum, 1,2-hexanediol, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, maris aqua (sea water), ascophyllum nodosum (ascophyllum nodosum extract), magnesium silicate, tocopheryl acetate, phenoxyethanol, potassium sorbate, tin oxide, mica, ci 77891 (titanium dioxide), ci 77491 (iron oxides)

I figure I'd better put my 2 cents in on this product bc it was $37. I expected so much better for the money. First of all, as others have stated, I can't get any product up. I tried scraping off the top layer, using tape, using a dense powder brush, etc, but only a very tiny amount comes out. I can feel it on my skin too - it's drying. And I don't have dry skin - it's oily on the t-zone and normal everywhere else. After using this powder for several days, I now have dried out skin. My skin's dry on the t-zone area and wrinkled under my eyes where I put this powder to set my undereye concealer. I have tried a lot of powders both drugstore and high end and there are many, nicer feeling, radiant looking translucent powders out there that are better than this - like the Boots translucent powder ($12) and Mac's Next to Nothing powder ($28); both of which don't dry out my skin and create wrinkles. I won't be repurchasing this and I regret spending almost $40 for it.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I only use this powder to set concealer. It's finely milled and gives me a very slight glow, which looks great under the eyes. However, I do not like this to set foundation because it can make me look ashy (I'm NC40). My powder has lasted me 4 years with daily use (since I just use it for setting concealer). I will definitely repurchase since it doesn't dry out my undereye area but my concealer stays put.

I've found my HG setting powder. This is so finely milled that it is incredibly lightweight on the skin and gives a flawless, poreless finish. I find it gives a subtle glow and haven't had any issues with camera flash like some reviews have mentioned, perhaps this is down to application. I used a small kabuki brush and applied lightly. One slight downside is the size of the holes in the lid of the packaging. It's hard to release a little powder at the time so opening the pot in transit can be a bit messy. This wouldn't stop me repurchasing.

I like the powder itself and love the fact that it's paraben-free, fragrance-free, and non-comedogenic, but don't like the packaging. It is ridiculously impractical. Sure, the sleek black compact is beautiful, but I'm not sure why Nars designed it so that you can't fit the wafer-thin powder applicator in the compact itself. The powder applicator is so flat that you would think that it would fit, but it doesn't. Instead, this powder comes with a black pouch that has separate compartments for the compact and the powder applicator. The black pouch is stylish and protects the compact from getting scratched or dirty, but it is a hassle to carry a pressed powder in its own pouch and then to keep the powder applicator in a separate compartment in that pouch. The whole point of pressed powder is to be able to carry it around for quick touch-ups, so I appreciate pressed powders that come with powder puffs or applicators (even though I use powder brushes at home). I just wish Nars would make the compact just a tiny bit bigger so that it would fit the powder applicator.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This is my go to setting powder. I have used RCMA powder, Laura Mericer, Tarte, and any other setting powder you can think of. This is the only powder I go back to. The reason that I love it is because of how light weight on my skin it feels. Other setting powders seem to appear cakey on me. This gives my makeup an overall pore less look that I love. For sure my GOLY GRAIL setting powder.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is such a perfect setting powder! As I get older, I notice my skin becoming drier; an issue that is only exacerbated by the harsh Canadian winters that seem to last literally half of the year in good old Nova Scotia. Because of this, I made the decision a few months back to forgo my heavier powders of yesteryear, and instead seek out something virtually weightless that sets makeup, doesn’t look or feel dry, and most importantly, leaves no ashy/pallid cast on my light brown (NC40/42 for reference) complexion. I think this is it!

As I said, the most important thing for me when seeking out a translucent powder, is that it not be visible on my skin, as many are not universal enough for deeper complexions. This is probably the only translucent powder I have ever tried that is truly transparent on ALL complexions. And what’s more, is that it seems to leave a radiant, soft-focused glow. No, you will not look like you’ve been dipped in a concoction of powdered diamonds and fairy dust, but the finish is MUCH nicer than any traditional powder I have ever tried. Long story short, this powder is undetectable and incredibly flattering, regardless of your skin color or texture.

In addition to looking invisible, it also feels incredibly light and weightless (if you run your finger over it in the compact, it feels like literal silk), and does not cling to dry patches on the skin. I am very into the dewy, natural look when it comes to base makeup lately, so this is the perfect powder for accomplishing that. It leaves no color or texture, but sets makeup beautifully with a soft, radiant glow. I will, however, just tack on that I don’t necessarily think that this is a powder geared towards super oily-skin or those who need something super mattifying. It sets makeup nicely and NEVER cakes up, but if you are extremely oily, you may need something with stronger oil control.

Overall, this is my favorite powder that I have tried thus-far. I would suggest it for anyone who wants to set makeup but hates the “powdered” look, people of color who want to try translucent powder, as well as anyone with drier skin who has had problems with other powders. Also, I do feel that this would be an awesome powder for more mature skin, as it does not cake up or settle into fine lines. It is pricy (it’s NARS lol), but the pan seems to contain a lot of product, and you only need use the tiniest almost, so I believe that it I worth it as it will last forever. Thanks for another great product, NARS!

worth a try or something worth to splurge on!

background info: oily combo skin, slightly sensitive skin user, acne / blemish prone skin type. currently an NC35 in mac pro longwear. prefers wearing full faced makeup, living in sub tropical conditions ranging in 91.4°F temperatures on average day.

initially i was very skeptical about this product, but caved in after seeing reviews on here and had to try it out myself.

i usually get oily at my t zone area during the day. however i hate matte foundations as i find that it makes my face look too flat. this is my preference though, but i usually wear foundations that give a nice sheen without looking too matte.

i applied my trusty mac pro longwear foundation, then applied this powder and put it to test. i placed this powder all over my face and found that it gave a nice glow overall. i swatched it instore beforehand and i realised this powder has small specks of...glitter (?) and very fine, so it doesn't appear chalky or cakey at all.

so using a powder brush to apply this all over the face actually gave a nice sheen and glowy look overall. your face will not look like you have glitter on it, so this gave me a surprise and i liked the effect it gave.

i also liked the fact it came with a mirror as well. the overall packaging is an A in my opinion. it is sleek, feels high end, and compact enough for travel.

at first glance, it does mattify the face but yet gives a nice glow overall. i loved the initial result. before this i always set my foundation with a regular pressed powder.

however unfortunately this powder only lasted for an average day of 6-8 hrs? i work long hours, about 10-12hrs so i wanted it to last a bit more longer without having to touch ups. to start off with, i don't do touchups at all. so after 6-8hrs, the oil will start to seep through, but its more obvious around the nose area.

this product also doesn't give any sort of flashback, and in photos, made it look extremely flawless. i took selfies and my face looks extremely airbrushed, and gave the most natural looking glow. i really really loved it as no other powders have given me this sort of finish. i believe its the fine shimmer and the "light reflecting" claims that did the trick, and i am very glad i made this purchase.

this is my very first high end pressed powder purchase. i love it. my only wish is that maybe the powder could last a bit more longer. otherwise i have no complaints.

it is expensive, but i would definitely repurchase. the packaging, quality, are all up there. minus one lippie because of the price.

hopefully this helps!

This powder is so good. I was worried about it looking too glowy (if that's even a word!) but it is just the right amount of glow. Sets foundation nicely in place, doesn't reflect light in photos, makes skin look really healthy. I use this every day and prefer it to just a plain powder. It's so subtle you can't even see it on a brush but it makes skin feel so smooth.

I realize I am in the minority here but I absolutely loathed this product. I purchased it as a sneaky birthday gift for myself before I went on a vacation to Europe. I had been continuously seeing it appear in YouTube videos as the hot makeup product of the moment and everyone seemed to have only good things to say as if it were a revolutionary milestone in setting powders. Well, I unfortunately am not joining the fan club on this one. Nars is one of my favorite highend brands and it's very difficult for them to disappoint me but this sucked. When you take it out of the box and open the compact and try to pick up product NOTHING gets on your brush. That's because there is a waxy film sitting over the powder but apparently this is normal because many reviews suggested scraping the top layer off with a card or something (... uhh okay). This technique worked for the next few uses but soon the powder appeared to harden and became difficult to pick up with my brush again. Also, I didn't see anything spectacular about the finish if I'm honest. I think people really like that this looks nearly undetectable on the skin... but it's pretty overpriced imo. I returned it to Sephora when I got back to the USA. Crazily overhyped mess.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First off, I just want to say that my skin is ridiculously dry and starting to show signs of aging. I tried the nars loose powder and was not that impressed, I feel like it dried me out and looked cakey. So, I decided to try the pressed version... I'm not crazy about the result that I got using a brush with this powder, so I decided to try it with my beauty blender... Cue angels singing ... My face looked flawless. Hours later my face still looked flawless. This is my hg powder for now on.