NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Setting Powder

4.4

synthetic fluorphlogopite, silica, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, glycerin, squalane, octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate, polysorbate 80, caprylyl glycol, ethylhexylglycerin, carrageenan, xanthan gum, 1,2-hexanediol, pentaerythrityl tetra-di-t-butyl hydroxyhydrocinnamate, maris aqua (sea water), ascophyllum nodosum (ascophyllum nodosum extract), magnesium silicate, tocopheryl acetate, phenoxyethanol, potassium sorbate, tin oxide, mica, ci 77891 (titanium dioxide), ci 77491 (iron oxides)

worth a try or something worth to splurge on!

background info: oily combo skin, slightly sensitive skin user, acne / blemish prone skin type. currently an NC35 in mac pro longwear. prefers wearing full faced makeup, living in sub tropical conditions ranging in 91.4°F temperatures on average day.

initially i was very skeptical about this product, but caved in after seeing reviews on here and had to try it out myself.

i usually get oily at my t zone area during the day. however i hate matte foundations as i find that it makes my face look too flat. this is my preference though, but i usually wear foundations that give a nice sheen without looking too matte.

i applied my trusty mac pro longwear foundation, then applied this powder and put it to test. i placed this powder all over my face and found that it gave a nice glow overall. i swatched it instore beforehand and i realised this powder has small specks of...glitter (?) and very fine, so it doesn't appear chalky or cakey at all.

so using a powder brush to apply this all over the face actually gave a nice sheen and glowy look overall. your face will not look like you have glitter on it, so this gave me a surprise and i liked the effect it gave.

i also liked the fact it came with a mirror as well. the overall packaging is an A in my opinion. it is sleek, feels high end, and compact enough for travel.

at first glance, it does mattify the face but yet gives a nice glow overall. i loved the initial result. before this i always set my foundation with a regular pressed powder.

however unfortunately this powder only lasted for an average day of 6-8 hrs? i work long hours, about 10-12hrs so i wanted it to last a bit more longer without having to touch ups. to start off with, i don't do touchups at all. so after 6-8hrs, the oil will start to seep through, but its more obvious around the nose area.

this product also doesn't give any sort of flashback, and in photos, made it look extremely flawless. i took selfies and my face looks extremely airbrushed, and gave the most natural looking glow. i really really loved it as no other powders have given me this sort of finish. i believe its the fine shimmer and the "light reflecting" claims that did the trick, and i am very glad i made this purchase.

this is my very first high end pressed powder purchase. i love it. my only wish is that maybe the powder could last a bit more longer. otherwise i have no complaints.

it is expensive, but i would definitely repurchase. the packaging, quality, are all up there. minus one lippie because of the price.

hopefully this helps!

This powder is so good. I was worried about it looking too glowy (if that's even a word!) but it is just the right amount of glow. Sets foundation nicely in place, doesn't reflect light in photos, makes skin look really healthy. I use this every day and prefer it to just a plain powder. It's so subtle you can't even see it on a brush but it makes skin feel so smooth.

To Read all 117 Reviews, Login or Join

I realize I am in the minority here but I absolutely loathed this product. I purchased it as a sneaky birthday gift for myself before I went on a vacation to Europe. I had been continuously seeing it appear in YouTube videos as the hot makeup product of the moment and everyone seemed to have only good things to say as if it were a revolutionary milestone in setting powders. Well, I unfortunately am not joining the fan club on this one. Nars is one of my favorite highend brands and it's very difficult for them to disappoint me but this sucked. When you take it out of the box and open the compact and try to pick up product NOTHING gets on your brush. That's because there is a waxy film sitting over the powder but apparently this is normal because many reviews suggested scraping the top layer off with a card or something (... uhh okay). This technique worked for the next few uses but soon the powder appeared to harden and became difficult to pick up with my brush again. Also, I didn't see anything spectacular about the finish if I'm honest. I think people really like that this looks nearly undetectable on the skin... but it's pretty overpriced imo. I returned it to Sephora when I got back to the USA. Crazily overhyped mess.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First off, I just want to say that my skin is ridiculously dry and starting to show signs of aging. I tried the nars loose powder and was not that impressed, I feel like it dried me out and looked cakey. So, I decided to try the pressed version... I'm not crazy about the result that I got using a brush with this powder, so I decided to try it with my beauty blender... Cue angels singing ... My face looked flawless. Hours later my face still looked flawless. This is my hg powder for now on.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Coloring: Golden medium/tan - NC35-42
My skin: Combo-oily, sensitive (among others, my skin takes the habit of breaking out in hives when it doesn't like something I eat or put on my skin), SD/PD-prone. OSPW. Fitzpatrick IV. Freckles and PIH from hives.

I was very worried since the powder is stark white and it would give me a ghostly look. But I turned out loving it.

As other have pointed out, the powder does help mattify the skin but it also gives some glow. The glow is actually from very fine shimmer in the powder, but unless someone is touching nose with you, you wouldn't look like Edward Cullen. :D Sometimes, I feel like oil has started cropping up through the powder, but nope, my skin still feels powdery smooth.

Since it's translucent, it doesn't have any coverage whatsoever, but I don't mind since I need my powder to just smooth out stuff. I do feel sometimes it can look too drying if my skin is not properly hydrated/moisturized, so it's perfect to take away the shine from sunscreen and/or moisturizer/oil/hydrator. That way, my skin looks smooth and like I have naturally almost perfect skin.

I don't have much qualm with packaging. I like the pouch and the puff, albeit flimsy, actually does its job for me. The separated compartment in the pouch gives me room for other puff. I would like it better if the puff compartment is embedded into the plastic packaging itself, but I realized it would add unnecessary bulk. I also don't have the problem with the surface of the powder becoming crusty.

I hit pan after 6 and a half months and by the 8 month I still haven't ran out. Will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I love this setting powder very very much.

Photoshop finish, mattifying, subtle radiance.

What I don't love is the useless sponge that comes with it; personally I hate compacts which do not allow for a sponge or applicator to come with it. I can understand with loose powders, people would use fluffy brushes for application, but if anyone buys a compact, it is quite likely they intend to use it for touch-ups, and that they want to carry it around? Hence more should be invested into user-friendly sponges, and for compact designs that allow for sponge/applicator/puff storage!
At least this compact comes with a little pouch that allows you to stow a sponge in it; but still that flimsy little sponge from Nars is flat out useless.
I apply this lovely, high-performance powder with a small dense kabuki brush and stow it in the pouch for touch-ups

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

It's the second time i purchase this powder, i also have it in the loose version but haven't opened it yet (yes too much make up...). I like to use this after the velvet matte skin tint, it is sheer and transparent but fixes perfectly the foundation without leaving a powdery finish. It gives a luminous glow so don't expect it to keep skin ultra matte because it won't, i still get oily through the day, but it gives a nice glowy skin.
The texture is a bit weird, sometimes i feel the brush doesn't take the powder but it does, i guess that's the reason why it doesn't give a powdery finish.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was recommended this by one of the ladies from Sephora. I asked for a gentle setting powder for DRY sensitive skin. Ugh. Even using the smallest bit cakes so much on me. I really only need it for my t zone and not only does it not help the shine it looks like I loaded on the foundation. I don't get all the hype, definitely not for me.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I like this powder so much I was suspicious. Can it be as awesome as I think it is? After validating the crap out of myself by reading the other MUA rave reviews, the answer is yes!
The first time I saw it in Sephora, I liked the look of it. Then I touched it and felt the magical silky slip it has. I had to have it.
It is really a product in its own separate category. Not at all like a traditional powder, it gives a glowy, perfecting finish. I apply it with a stipple brush before bronzer and blush because it also acts as a great primer for powders. If I'm doing a strong red lip (I'm fair) I find that pressing it with a sponge around my mouth before applying liner/lipstick really gives a polished canvas for a beautiful bold lip.
I've been tempted to try the loose version but I have to say part of the beauty of this in pressed form is I can work with it freely without ever having kabuki face.
Because my skin is dry I've always had a hard time finding something that sets makeup and un-shines concealer/t-zone without looking caked and flaky. This is it!!!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I can't tell you how much I love this!! I had abandoned all powders as they all made my dry skin look horrible, especially under the eyes. I don't need powder to absorb oil, but I still like to set makeup to prevent it getting rubbed off, or smearing on my phone etc. This powder ticks all the boxes. It's really light & silky. It allows the skin to have a natural looking glow. It doesn't make skin look dry or cakey - It's totally translucent & feels so nice! Those with oily skin: this isn't a mattifying, oil absorbing kind of powder. I'd imagine it's more for combo/dry people.

Video Reviews & Tutorials