Essence Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner

Essence Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner

4.5

on 5/11/2016 2:54:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my absolute holy grail eyeliner. I already used up 6 tubes in the last 2,5 years and it never let me down.

It claims that it is waterproof, and oh boy is that true. It won't budge, no matter how oily your eyelids are. It's also smudgeproof.

It's carbon black in pigmentation - it couldn't be any darker! It is completely matte too.
It doesn't dry out either.

The only thing I think people would dislike about this product is the applicator wand, it's very thick, stiff and short, so people might have problems creating a thin crisp line. However once you get used to it it's really easy to apply.
The applicator never bothered me.

I 100% encourage people to give this liquid eyeliner a try! You won't lose anything, especially since it's dirt cheap.

on 4/10/2016 3:00:00 AM

First off, for $3.49CDN (4ml), you really can't beat the price!!!!

The first time i used this eyeliner, I HATED it. It flaked within minutes of application! I applied it on bare lids (no primer, eyeshadow etc) to test it out since I was anxious to try it, but didn't want to do a complete eye look.

I decided to give it another go a few days later. This time with eye primer and eyeshadow. I LOVED IT. It lasted ALL night on me with NO flaking at all.

I don't have oily lids but for some reason, the only way I can get this eyeliner to work for me is if i have eyeshadow underneath or some kinda powder for the liner to adhere to.

Pigmentation is great. Due to the sponge-y felt tip applicator, I find that it can skip across the lid. A 2nd coat is necessary to smooth out the lines and to sharpen the wing. Despite this extra step however, the applicator does retains a lot of product so I don't need to keep re-dipping it back into the tube - totally awesome!! I do wipe the excess off the inside of the tube before applying as it's a very liquid-y formula.

Another plus is that unlike your typical "waterproof" liner, this stuff is easy to take off. I don't even need to use an oil based remover!!

Definitely will repurchase... In fact, I think I will stock up on this!

Note - I also have this eyeliner in the non waterproof version and I don't really like it. The non waterproof version isn't as pigmented, and applies streaky and uneven. Will re-purchase the waterproof version but not the non-waterproof.

To Read all 50 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I love this eyeliner!
It is amazing how something so cheap can be so awesome!
I like the brush, I like the color intensity, I like that it is long lasting.
I have been repurchasing it many times and I would be very sad if they discountinued this product. I tried a lot of eyeliners because I am literally putting it on every single day, and this has won me over. It also lasts many months, even for someone like me who uses it every day.
Go Essence!

on 1/12/2016 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought the Essence Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner on a whim while already having THREE other liquid liners on the go that I'd purchased within a 2 week period, none of which I was happy with: Revlon ColorStay Liquid Liner, CoverGirl Intensify Me Liquid Liner, and Sephora Smart Liner.

In a nutshell, the Revlon liner had a great precise tip but streaky and inconsistent product, the Cover Girl started off strong but the product was also streaky, quickly drying out and the Sephora liner again started off strong with product flowing nicely to the very tapered tip but quickly started skipping within the first 3 days, like a pen running out of ink.

However, the Essence Liquid Waterproof Eyeliner in Black is wonderful! The price: $3 Cdn at Shoppers - awesome. The product: glides on smoothly and consistently without any streaking or skipping, right down to the applicator tip. A rich black that dries quickly to a matte finish. The applicator: sponge with a slightly rounded tip. It takes a little effort to create a pointy cat's eye with this shape of applicator but not much. Waterproof: yes, without any flaking or smearing - didn't budge through an hour long hot yoga session.

The packaging is simply designed, it's just the screw-on applicator and the container.

My new HG product.

on 12/27/2015 11:46:00 PM

this is my holy grail eyeliner. this brand never let's me down even when I want to splurge nothing ever compares to this. the brush part isn't the best because its a spondgey like tip but I got the hang of it once I used it a few times. the formula is great lasts alllll day and night, doesn't bleed around your lash line, awesome price, great quality.

on 12/27/2015 8:15:00 PM

I originally bought this in the waterproof version. Does not smudge, lasts all day and doesn't irritate my eyes or transfer onto my contacts. I find if you are in heat for prolonged periods of time (sweating), it can break down but at that point I'm not sure any product can hold up. I do have oily lids and this holds up perfectly for everyday wear.

I don't think I will spend money on high end liners anymore as this is cheap and you don't feel the need to "conserve" (trying over and over to get winged liner done correctly and feeling like you're wasting product).

Overall awesome product, I have also bought this in the regular formula. That one does flake slightly on me so I do prefer the waterproof but that formula is still a better choice than some.

on 11/25/2015 11:34:00 AM

I used to use Bourjois liquid eyeliner, then I thought I would try the one from essence since I really liked this brand since I saw it recently and thought it would be a cheaper alternative to use more frequently, so checked the great reviews here and bought and so glad I did, it's really good, easy to use, dense black and stays on allll day long until you wash it off, love it!

on 9/23/2015 10:58:00 PM

Perfect? No.... but close enough for such a cheap drugstore liquid eyeliner. Would definitely repurchase!

It does everything that it claims such as being waterproof and I don't regret a single penny I spent on this product. No smudges or flakes after a long period of wear, only some fading but that's going to the extreme (10+ hrs) AND I have oily lids. The pigmentation is incredible for the price. So rich and black, and it dries matte fairly quickly. Love!

My only fuss about this product is the felt tip. Although it is very short and easy to maneuver, I find that the actual tip of the applicator is too thick for my liking. It is hard to get a very sharp edge for the classic cat eye look, and requires a bit of practice and getting used to.

One con isn't going to outweigh all the amazing qualities of this product. I found my new holy grail waterproof - super black liquid liner!

on 9/16/2015 4:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Love this liquid liner. It's darker and longer lasting than Physicians Formula Eye booster! It does take a few seconds longer to dry than PF because of its higher alcohol content, but once it sets it does not smudge. I haven't noticed and eye irritation due to the alcohol but people with more sensitive eyes may need to watch out. (Alcohol is a common ingredient in liquid liners, don't be scared unless your eyes are sensitive!)

The felt tip doesn't come to a sharp point which is my only complaint, unless you're a master artist, use a better brush if you want thin, sharp lines.

on 8/6/2015 7:51:00 PM

YES! Very pigmented and lasts all day! I have slightly oily eyelids and always have some smearing but not with this stuff! For $2.99 you can't beat it!